Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Hab or not?

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for opinions on whether it is best to go to re-hab or go right home. My Surgeon says it depends on how I do in hospital & that PT will make the decision as to whether I need re-hab, but if I definitely want to do it I can. I have been told that I will have to have someone with me for 1 month post-op!! I am having anterior & posterior done from T-12 to at least L-5 and maybe to S-1. I have a 64 degree curve with a lot of degeneration.
    He will be using my rib for fusion.
    Thanks for any advice.
    You are all so helpful.
    Ellen

Post Surgical Rehab

Ellen,
    I had spinal fusion July 10 and 13th. My husband was very helpful when I came home from the hospital, but my mother stayed with us for 6 weeks and cared for most of my needs.

If you do not have support at home I think rehab would be the way to go. Research the facilities in your area. Go to visit and try to speak to former patients. There is a huge difference in rehab facilities.

SandyB
    [SIZE=3]Sandy B
    Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
    Dr. William A. Lauerman
    Georgetown University Medical Center[
    /SIZE]

Comment

I think that the choice is based on many factors such as: How you are doing in the hospital, how your house set up (on one floor or two), how many stairs you would have to negotiate both inside and outside of the house, if all necessary items will be accessible to you 24 hours a day (ie: food, clothing).

My husband stayed with me for the first week I was home, then his parents stayed with me for a couple of days and then my parents stayed with us for another week. I also had friends stopping by throughout the days when family could not be there. I basically had someone with me all day and night for 3 weeks and I was fused T3-L4 and was 30 at the time of my surgery. When I finally did get through a day on my own, we had to rearrange the fridge so that I could reach foods that I wanted, we had to put milk and juice in smaller containers on high shelves because I could not bend or lift. We had to take items out of the cupboards and place them on the countertop so that I could reach them because stretching to reach anything above the countertop height was almost impossible.

If you do not have someone who can be with you day and night, then rehab might be a good choice...your surgeon and the PT folks at your hospital will evaluate all of that when the time comes...good luck!

Comment

Re-Hab or Not

Thanks Sandy,
        I have spoken to two women who had the same surgery with my Dr. & one went to Re-Hab, but she didn't have anyone to help her if she went home. Her husband wasn't into that type of thing. The other woman's husband was retired & she went home & did fine. My husband wants to be home with me & he can work from home, so I think I would be fine. I am one who likes to be in my own home, so I am leaning towards that. I know a Visiting Nurse, etc. will come in also. I was curious as to what others had done.
        Thanks for your help.
        Ellen

Comment

I forgot to mention that I had a visiting nurse come in twice a week for the first few weeks as well as an OT and PT each who visited twice a week.

Comment

Re-Hab or not

Thanks Heidi for the good suggestions. We are on one floor, except to go down to basement to do laundry, & it is just my husband & I, which makes it easier. My Dr. did tell me that PT at the hospital will decide if I can go home or have to go to re-hab. I am very stubborn, as I want out of that hospital as soon as it is okay, so he thinks I will do fine & be going home..
            Unfortunately my Mom had a second stroke in April, so she wouldn't be able to help. In fact, I am worried about not being able to go over to her house, as I usually do, to do her meds etc. My husband said he would gladly go over there & my 2 daughters check in on her frequently, also.
            I have my last collection of blood today. Surgery is coming up quickly (Anterior on Nov.3rd & Posterior on the 6th), and I have things I want to finish organizing here.
            Thanks again,
            Ellen

Comment

My insurance company denied me rehab but we appealed it and won. Personally I found it useful. They showed me how to get a shower safely do steps safely. I also did not get the best pt in thr hospital due to some complications. My visiting pt was also very helpful.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
              X