no more brace...soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no more brace...soon!

well just an update: I'm now a couple weeks from my 3 mth mark post-op and my surgeon said I can 'lose the brace' in Novemeber!!!! He says I should still use it for long car rides & support on long walks & such. So I am quite excited to say the least....Can't wait to try on some new shirts I bought prior to surgery!!!!
    also, I am fused from T-11 to L-5 & my upper curve (60) was left alone. I go back in for my check-up in Dec. & was wondering how many of you who had the larger curve fused had the other reduce itself over time???? I'm very curious about that....??? Ly

That's awesome that you're getting your brace off soon! Congrats. I am not looking forward to having to wear one, but at least it will only be for about 6 weeks, and only when I'm walking around, etc. As I mentioned in my thread, my doctor thought that the one curve was reactionary to the other. If that's the case with you, then hopefully your upper curve has stabilized as well. I wish you well!
    32 y/o male
    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

I didn't have my thoracic curve reduced either. It wasn't that big to begin with (30 something) but I was told it would straighten itself out. I guess time will tell. I say when you get to finally ditch the brace you make it a celebration. Pour some bubbly (in moderation if you're still taking your meds) have Bill take you and the boys out for dinner. And the most important part...take lots of pictures so you can post them on your blog. You may inspire someone else who feels like they have been in their brace forever.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I know how you feel about getting out of the brace. I was so happy. It is just another hurdle you have conquered. Congratulations.
        Mattie

Comment

I went to the surgeon on Tues and I can lose the brace. I am thinking og having a brace burning party. Mine never fit right because of my stomach being so swollen.
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

sorry- can't burn my brace, it goes back to Dr. Boachie. I will donate it to FOCOS & their work in Africa...Ly
            Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 10-21-2006, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Ly -

O.K. you're excused from the brace burning...you've got good causes to support. You can still celebrate, however.
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Getting out of my brace was an exciting part of my recovery, although I also had reservations about being without it, but they didn't last long!!!

Go celebrate, you're doing great!!!

Shari

Comment

Shari-I guess I feel the same way! You want the brace off but yet you are nervous to go without it completely.....scary...!!! the last few months have been the hardest time for me..aughhh! Ly
                  http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Well hell yes the last few months have been tough!!! Look what you've just gone through.

Just don't get down when you get out of it and you can't do cartwheels. You will still be healing.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                    X