burning sensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burning sensation

I have a question about burning sensations. I was operated on July 13th, and if I've been standing for 15-20 minutes, between my shoulder blades feels like its on fire. Someone I know whose also had surgery about 2 years ago said they still get that feeling after standing for about 40 minutes. Does anyone else get this? If you used to get it, but don't anymore, about how long did it take for that feeling to go away? I can't even return to work yet because I have to be on my feet for a couple hours, and I cant work when my back feels like its on fire.

Hi...

I had it for longer than two years, but it did eventually go away. I found that it was worse whenever I had my head bowed down, as if it were pulling on the spine.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Having your head bowed down seems like it could cause a little pain. It doesn't for me though. Only if I've been standing for a even little bit. Crossing my arms helps a little bit, which I find wierd. If I am in a store or something, I walk around with my arms folded. Anyways, I am so glad to hear it went away eventually. Although I have no idea how I am going to be able to work until it goes away.

Comment

Re: Burning Sensation

I had a lot of that when I had Cervical Spine Surg. It is probably nerves regenerating. That can take a long time. I know it is a burning sensation, but it does go away & it is good to know that healing is taking place!
        I hope you feel better soon.
        Ellen

Comment

Originally posted by crookedapostle
          I had a lot of that when I had Cervical Spine Surg. It is probably nerves regenerating. That can take a long time. I know it is a burning sensation, but it does go away & it is good to know that healing is taking place!
          I hope you feel better soon.
          Ellen
          Thanks for your reply as well. It's good to know that it does go away, although it could take years.

Comment

RE: Burning Sensation

I will probably be going through it again as I am having lumbar scoliosis surgery done on 11/3 & 11/6 to correct a 64 degree curve. It's getting close!!
            Ellen

Comment

Originally posted by crookedapostle
              I will probably be going through it again as I am having lumbar scoliosis surgery done on 11/3 & 11/6 to correct a 64 degree curve. It's getting close!!
              Ellen
              Good luck!! I hope you have a fast and easy recovery, with no complications of course

Comment

LB,

Where was your fusion? The reason I ask is because my doctor told me that, with fusing T3-T12 or even to L2, that they would not need to touch the area of the nerves and it's simply pulling the muscle away from the spine. I imagine that there are nerves there anyway (I don't know many places where they are none!) but I wonder, unless I totally misunderstood him. I hope the pain goes away sooner than later. Just remember - as you told me, it is all worth it in the end.
                32 y/o male
                S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Brian...

I can't figure out what your surgeon could have meant. I believe that the spinal cord goes from C1 (in the neck) all the way to T12, so there are definitely nerves in the area that will be fused. With that said, the spinal cord doesn't normally get exposed during scoliosis surgery, but it can be at risk from placement of hooks and screws.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I believe I was fused from T2 to T12. Might have been T3 to T12. What Linda said is right, the spinal chord goes from C1 to T12. And thanks Brian!! I do remember telling you that, I need to remember my own advice.

Comment

Wow. Ok, it's definitely a relief to find out that it's not just me. I'd always wondered about that. It never stayed for long, so I'd just keep still and grit my teeth till it went away. I figured it had something to do with the nerves regenerating though. I have to say though, that I'm relieved... thanks for the post! :-)
                        27 Years Old
                        Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
                        Post Surgery: 15 degrees
                        www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

BTW LB,

How are you feeling now in general? I don't remember when you had your surgery, but I'd love to know how you've progressed thus far. (Obviously, I know that you have the burning sensation!) Hope you continue to get better! Looks like I may be joining you all this summer...
                          32 y/o male
                          S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                          Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

It has been 3 months, and it's going good. Been laying around alot, but still doing my walking and all that. I still cannot bend or twist, and for the most part the only pain I am in is when my damn back feels like its on fire! The other day I went to a restaraunt with my grandma, and after awhile I started feeling real uncomftorable just sitting there as well. Everything will get better though. I really want to go back to work but I just can't see how anyone made it through work with there back burning. There is no way in hell, so I am a little down on that.

Monie, the burning for you goes away after a little bit? The only way I can relieve it is by laying down. Maybe I should stand for as long as I possibly can and see if it goes away.

Comment

Hi I'm in the same boat right now!

Dear lBloodojunkieg:

Funny that you wrote on the pain between your shoulders thing because I am going through t he very same thing right now. I am just 12 weeks post-op and have noticed the burning start up the last month, gradually getting worse this week. My fusion goes up to T5 and it is definitely upper back between my shoulders where the burning problem is; especially at the end of
                              my fusion.

I am ok first thing in the morning but after I've been moving around about 3 hours, I feel it start in. I think that hunching over makes it worse; whether I am standing or sitting. Changing position helps some or trying to stretch my torso taller. Yesterday it felt like it was making all my upper back muscles tighten up clear up to my neck and I was miserable. I had my husband rub my shoulders and neck and it did help the muscles stop contracting some.

I really think that it is a healing pain of the muscles and nerves like some of the posters have said. I don't like hearing that it can take two years, as I need to go back to work sometime soon, also. Maybe if I can go lie on a couch or in my car every two hours, I could do it.

Are you on any pain killers yet? I notice that it gets worse when my pain reliever gives out and once I take it, the pain lessens. I am seeing my dr. next week and will discuss it with him and let you know what he says. I hope to start physical therapy soon and hope that will help and not worsen it.

Feel free to PM or email me anytime as it sounds like we are at the same stage after surgery and having the same symptoms.

Deb Collin
                              age 47
                              posterior surgery 7/24/06
                              for S curve T70, L76
                              30 degrees correction
                              DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X