Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back

According to the welcome message on the top right of my screen, my last login was on the 7th of March, 2006. My goodness, that was about seven months ago! I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself for disappearing as soon as I returned to work, but I'm hoping that I'll be forgiven?

I was 1 year post op on 9/23, and looking back now, I can't believe it's only been a year! Anyway, I hope to somehow become a 'full posting' member on here again... You guys were AWESOME when I needed you, and its unfortunate that its taken me so long to return. I hope everyone is doing great? I'll be going to read past posts that I've missed.

I've been very well. I have my bad days of course, but nothing alarming. I'm working full time again, and it's safe to say life has pretty much returned to normal. Well, just a quick line saying hi and re-introducing myself to everyone. :-)
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Um, just really quick: My blog posts have sort of shifted away from scoliosis related issues (except when writing an update)... My posts on scoliosis (before and after surgery) were quite detailed, but you'd have to go to my archives for that... I believe around September 05.
    27 Years Old

Comment

Monie -

I don't if I ever chatted with you on this site but I have visited your blog several times (as a lurker). I found the link on Pips' site. Your experience, as well as the experiences of many others, helped prepare me for my own surgery. Welcome back.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hey Brandi... thanks. I'm glad to be back. I finally feel like I too have something to contribute. :-) Oh thanks for checking out the blog...
        27 Years Old

Comment

Hey Monie it's about time you came back! We can use all the positive post-op stories here for the newbies we can get. I still check your blog all the time and know you have had a full plate. I am glad you are here again, welcome back. Funny............I hear the "welcome back Cotter" music playing in my head!

Comment

Monie,

I just read your post from your first day back post-surgery. That was a really great story and I really felt your emotions! It was even over-whelming for me, and I haven't even been there. I'm not sure if I'll ever get surgery but posts like that do help. As much as sometimes I hate to hear the details it does help me realize that even though it sounds awful, people do survive it.

Welcome back and I am very glad to hear of someone doing so well 1 year post-op .

Jamie

Comment

@ Suzy: Thank you! I can't believe I was away for so long! I actually feel ungrateful, if you can believe it. I mean, I was on here ALL the time right before and after, but the minute I got better, I disappeared. Way to show appreciation and give back, huh? Well, thanks for the comment... how've you been? it's odd to actually 'type' this, but you 'sound/read' better... does that make sense? lol.

@ Jamie: Hey, I'm glad that you were able to get into it. That's all I did around that time. Everytime I could get up, I'd be writing something or the other... it was sort of an outlet for me then. Feel free to check out the 'Archives'... I wrote a lot about my Pre and Post Op experiences... The months? Hmm, I'd say September and October mostly. :-)
              27 Years Old

Comment

Hi Monie,

Welcome back and it's great to hear that you are doing so well!!! You will be an inspiration to many!!!. And that's a great thing!!!

I think this forum is way too often referred to as one, that only people that have problems post-op, remain here. If you do read through some of the old posts, you'll see that people were concerned and thought about you.

Shari

Comment

Shari,

Just wanted to let you know my daughter is almost two years post-op and I'm still here! When I first came to this site, I was a scared mom looking for as much information as possible. In the process, I've made some wonderful friends who have supported me through everything! I can never thank them enough for that. Now, I keep coming back and hopefully I can help someone else through this journey like others have helped me.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Mary Lou,

It is possible that I may wind up with the exact same fusion as your daughter. How is her range of motion now? It's wonderful that people like you have stuck around on this site. Otherwise, I'd have no one to talk to!
                    32 y/o male
                    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Hi Brian,

In my opinion, Jamie's range of motion is really good . About the only things she can't do is 1) a sit-up and 2) a back bend, which of course is no big deal. She tends to put her foot on a chair to tie her shoes as apposed to bending down to the floor.

Mary Lou
                      Last edited by Snoopy; 10-22-2006, 04:10 PM.
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Glad to know that she is doing so well. I never thought about the whole sit-up thing. I'll have to check that out. (Not that I mind not having to beat myself up senseless by doing crunches all day.)
                        32 y/o male
                        S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                        Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Brian, You will do sit ups a different way. Bending to touch your toes is not a good movement! Quads will be used more then ever, bend at knees to pick things up.

Mary Lou, Bending over to touch toes was a goal of mine but, I found out it is the movement that puts THE MOST stress on your back. My P.T. said DO NOT DO IT!

Monie, I am doing great. I have been really busy but will e-mail you a note soon!

Comment

Suzy,

What did you mean by Brian will do sit ups in a different way? Jamie can still work her abs, but cannot do a proper sit up.

As for Jamie bending at the waist, it really hasn't been much of a change for her. We've always practiced good lifing habits--bending at the knees, keeping things close to the body when lifting, etc.--even before we knew about Jamie's back, but some of us still occasionally get lazy and pick something up without bending at the knees, whereas Jamie doesn't do that. As for touching her toes, that was never a goal for Jamie. She tends to sit on a chair and pull her foot up to the chair to tie her shoes rather than bend to the floor.

May I ask how long your fusion is and how far out from surgery you are?

Mary Lou
                            Last edited by Snoopy; 10-22-2006, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Mary Lou,

I agree with you 100%!!! I wasn't a scared Mom, but a scared patient and I can't even begin to tell anyone how it felt when I found this forum.

I found so much information and support here and it helped me so much. If I haven't been here for a few days, I feel drawn to it to see how everyone is doing. I don't know if I have a strange commitment or an addiction??? I had a rough time and the thought of being able to help one person through a tough time makes me happy.

I read more than I write, and I am so in awe of how much perfect strangers are more than willing to care and share here!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                              X