Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need info! Please help.

Hey,

I'm Darcy and was diagnosed with scoliosis during the Summer of 2003. I was 11. I went to a physician after that during October, and they said to come back on March 1st. Everything seemed to be okay.
    Then during January, I....well, lets just say that I developed. You know, my, uh...period. (Okay, that was embarassing.) My mom says that that's when you grow. I went back on March 1st, and he said that I got worse by 3 degrees. I hoped that was only because of what happened in January, and not that it'll be like that all the time! He said to go to a different doctor on March 20th, one that specialized in just kids.
    On March 20th, there was some bad weather, and the doctor's office was out of town, so we didn't risk driving. Now its on April 23rd. Right now it is April 10th.
    Do you think that I will get even more worse again, or I only got worse then because of what happened in January? Will I have to wear a brace? Last time I went (March 1st) I was at 15 degrees. You have to be at 20 to wear a brace, so is 5 degrees alot? Do you think I will only have to wear it after school? Can people tell that you have it on? I look fine, AND feel fine...if I do get to 20 degrees, will I still have to wear one? Help!

Hi Darcy...

No need to be embarassed...we've all been there and understand completely. First of all, try to relax and try not to worry too much. As I tell my daughter....it's my job as the Mom to worry, not hers. As for the degree of your back changing, it doesn't necessarily have to do with your experience in January. I would think it has more to do with the fact that you are growing. My daughter went through three sizes of jeans just before her twelth birthday and it seems to be a period of time when most girls get a big growing spurt. Therefore, don't be too upset if you have an increase in your curvature on the 23rd. 15 degrees is definetly reason enough to keep your doctor appointment. Most doctors give a 5 degree margin of error (higher or lower) either way. The doctor will need to keep monitoring you closely because you are close to the point of bracing especially if your bones aren't done growing yet. Hope this helps a little bit. Best of luck.

Mary Lou
    Last edited by ; 04-10-2004, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks, that helped!

Comment

Working...
      X