Lung pain after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lung pain after surgery

This week, I have been experiencing a pain I never had before. When I wake up in the morning after having been sleeping on my back, my lungs hurt (actually, only the left side). It doesn't hurt to breathe in but it hurts to talk and exhale. I talked to my Dr. and he said that this is normal since there's more room in my chest area.

Anybody experience this? Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make getting out of bed easier? I usually have to take medication and wait for it to kick in before I move. I'm just not sure how long this will last - it's pretty uncomfortable for me.

Thanks,
    Nickie

Fused from T5 to L4/L5 on September 22, 2006
    Age 31

Hi Nickie...

I don't remember ever hearing anyone describe the sort of pain you're reporting. If it continues, perhaps you should see your primary care physician.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Nickie, i remember my lung hurting on my right side... which is the side the surgery was done... even though mine was endoscopic, thru five small incisions in between the ribs, they still had to deflate that lung and manipulate it a bit... so it was irritated and let me know about it... Also, my muscles would tighten and ache, if i stayed in one position too long. It hurt so much when i used the incentive spirometer, that i'd almost cry.... For a while after i returned home, my lung and the muscles on that side would cause me a lot of pain.

I think it will get better soon, but as Linda said, it wouldn't hurt to let your primary care Dr. know about it.

Hope you soon feel better!! JoAnn

Comment

I would follow up with another doctor.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Just got back from the Drs. office. The lung pain and all other muscle spasms that I have been feeling are all normal! He said everything looks great! I would write more now, but I just took a valium and it generally makes me sleepy...

I'll give more of an update later!
          Thanks all for your support.
          Nickie

Comment

Working...
          X