Where I've been lately...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where I've been lately...

The reason I have not been on the board much lately is that I'M PREGNANT!!!!

16 months after my surgery, we decided it was time to add a little one to our family! This will be our first baby and so far things are going really well. I've had some achiness in my back, but I attribute some of that to a lack of exercising these past couple of months. I'll be contacting my PT to work on some exercises that are healthy for both me and my baby since the exercises I currently do are not good for the baby (they involve tightening my abs and lifting weights at the same time). I'm due in May of '07 and will post here periodically for those interested in how this surgery affects pregnancy, if at all. I've been in contact with my surgeon and he assures me that I should carry and deliver just like any other pregnant woman and that due to the location of my fusion, I will still be a candidate for an epidural...thank goodness for that!

I just had to share the great news with all of you since we've all been through so much together in the past 2 years that I've been here....

Congratulations Heidi. Best of luck for an easy delivery and a healthy baby.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Congrats Heidi!! Best of luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Great News Heidi!

So happy for you that the long awaited family is now on the way! I so enjoy reading about your scoliosis journey on this forum and your input to the posters.

Best wishes for a safe and healthy pregnancy.

Deb
        age 47
        posterior surgery 7/24/06
        for S curve T70,L76
        30 degrees correction
        DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

Oh wonderful!!! Congrats Heidi... there is nothing more precious than bringing a new life into the world!! Best of luck to you and your baby... Please keep us posted along the way... ((((hugs))))) JoAnn

Comment

How exciting Heidi!! And it is nice to know you can have the epidural!!! Keep us posted...............Ly
            http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
            Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 10-16-2006, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Congratulations Heidi...what wonderful news!
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

How wonderful! Please do keep us updated on how your pregnancy is going post-op! Wishing you and your family the best.
                -Anya
                "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Congratulations and best wishes Heidi!!!!
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Heidi,

Congratulations from me too!!! It's so great to hear that you have been blessed with a new life in more than one way!!! Keep us informed!!!

Shari

Comment

Wow!! Congratulations!!
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thank you for your wonderful wishes everyone! This is a very exciting time for my husband and I and our families.

A big deciding factor for me regarding my surgery was whether or not I would be able to have a normal & healthy pregnancy and delivery following surgery. Unfortunately, there weren't many people for me to turn to at the time I was deciding, so it was a leap of faith and I had only the assurance of my surgeon to go on at the time. That's why I'd like to keep everyone here posted on how the pregnancy is going, so that others who might be deciding on surgery and thinking about becoming pregnant after the surgery can come here and learn from my experience.

Comment

Congratulations Heidi. I wish you all the best.
                          surgery 9/06
                          Rothman institute

Comment

Heidi! That's wonderful news!!! And the fact that you still have the option to have an epidural is such a plus. I was unable to have an epidural because I am fused in the lumbar section. It all worked out in the end. Let me know if you have any questions during your pregnancy. Once in a while I had some back pain, but nothing unusual.
                            Congrats again and keep us all posted!!!
                            Heather
                            Heather
                            Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                            Anterior/posterior surgery
                            Fused T-11 to L-5
                            Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                            Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                            Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                            Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS Heidi!! That's great!
                              27 Years Old
                              Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
                              Post Surgery: 15 degrees
                              www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X