Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarassing Question

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the forum and am having correction of adult scoliosis (64 degree)
    curve on Nov. 3rd & Nov. 6th. and will be braced afterwards. I am anxious about toileting care for myself post op. Is it something they teach you in the hospital?
    I thank you for any help you can give me.
    crookedapostle

I had no problem with this... I got the elevated toilet seat from the medical supply store... the only thing that was any problem at all was reaching for the Toilet paper....I just pulled some off & piled it on top so it made it easy for the next time! Ly

Comment

The hardest part is getting on and off of the toilet. You have to learn to rely on your leg muscles since you will likely be unable to bend. Depending on where you are fused, you may have some difficulty reaching "certain" areas but the kind folks in the hospital will teach you how to handle this, should it become a problem for you.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I needed help wiping in the hospital but at that point I didn,t care. By the time I got home I could do for my self but one thing that i would suggest is the moistened flushabled wipes. They are helpful.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Hi...

Wiping one's self can be really dangerous. I recommend that you buy a toilet tissue aid. For example:

http://www.activeforever.com/product...1_T18,0085.htm

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Someone on the forum (was it Kat?) swore that salad tongs and a big wad of balled-up tissue worked better than the toilet-tissue aid. I'm personally looking forward to trying that one out....
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I found the kamode seat to be more helpful and less bulky than the raised toilet seat. I simply had my husband remove the 'bowl' from the kamode and place the remaining part of it over our toilet. It was very helpful in that he could lower or raise the seat depending on how low or high I could sit. The arms made it very helpful to get myself on and off as well. I have very long, flexible arms and had no issue wiping, but like Linda said, you can hurt yourself so you might need an aid for that.

Comment

I thank all of you for your tips. I do in fact have a commode that my Mom wouldn't use post stroke & it is brand new. I had given that some thought.
                A friend of mine fractured her back & was in a brace for 3 months & suggested using the salad tongs So much to plan before the surgery in 3 weeks. It cannot come soon enough, as I have worsened in the last month.
                Again, thank you for your helpful tips.
                Last edited by crookedapostle; 10-11-2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X