Glucosamine - Chondroitin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glucosamine - Chondroitin

Has anyone used this stuff? Does it really help?

I've been in a lot of pain recently, along with horrible stiffness.

I was doing Yoga for a while, and it really helped loosen me up. But, the "aftermath" of Yoga was killing me. I would be sooo stiff and sore for days afterward.

I admit I just sort of gave up on any form of exercise.

But I know I NEED to exercise for my overall health, so I was wondering about Glucosamine.

Any feedback or pro's and con's, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I used it, a few years ago. It seemed to help with overall aches an pains, but it's not recommended to be taken for long periods of time, even if some naturopaths would say it can be. Some irritate the stomach, I took caps and not as much as the dosage was recommended on the bottle.

Btw, have you tried swimming and walking, they're the best exercises for not feeling too stiff or in pain afterwards.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

special shoes?

Concerning walking,does anyone have any special shoes that they use? I find it difficult to walk on any very hard surfaces,such as concrete,asphalt,etc. as it causes my pain to become very bad afterwards and it affects my rib areas to ,seems they get really sore from the exertion for some reason. Would like to try walking moreso if I could find something really helpful to absorb the shock of the walking on my joints,etc.
      any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks very much,
      Regina

Comment

Orthotics

They are the best solution. A podiatrist can see where you need most of the alignment and have them made. Before surgery I had a lot of knee/hip/leg/heel pains, and all the doctors told me that the surgery would cure them, being scoliosis the cause, but it wasn't so, my flat feet were the cause and when all the pains were back after surgery my hubby who has orthotics gave me the idea to have them made.
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Stationary Bike good with hurting joints

Hi Pet Slave and Regina, others for whom walking is difficult.

I get sciatica like pains from walking for more than a few yards, both before and after my surgery, so that is out. I found a stationary bike works well for a workout as it does not stress your hip joints or upper body. During our brief summers in Michigan, I ride a bicycle outside. We got our first snow here today, by the way!!

Deb
          age 47
          posterior surgery 7/24/06
          for S curve T70,L76
          30 degrees correction
          DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

sciatica post op???

I had sciatica during the healing process(fused to sacrum). I will occasionally get this if I lay/sit on my derriere a certain way because the sciatic nerve passes through it to the legs and pressure on it for a length of time will cause it to ache.

This can also happen with a new exercise with hip streches which stretch the nerve.

This does NOT necessarily mean something went wrong with the surgery.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Actually,walking seems to be the only form of exercise that does not bother me.....as much. I'd love to go swimming, but the prices even for the " Y " are outrageous!

I might give the Glucosamine a try. Is there a particular brand you like better?

I don't want to sound like a whiner,but I've been so stiff and sore lately. I'm sure the change in the weather is causing most of it.

What do all of you do to manage the pain and stiffness during weather changes?

I have a fairly high tolerance to pain, so when I start complaining about it, I know it's gotten bad.

I'm taking Aleve (Naproxen) for the pain, it helps some of the time.

Also, I read that if your Scoliosis is always causing pain,it means it might be getting worse. Any truth to that??

I'm looking for a new Dr, the two I saw earlier in the year were of no help at all.

Thanks again!

Comment

Exrcise, rest and dressing warmly helps in weather changes for me(like putting on many layers of polyester clothing, b/c it is warmer compared to cotton that attracts humidity).

The Glucosamine I tried is from a local brand, it's probably only sold here, in Montreal(Canada). I liked it best b/c it's in capsules, wich is the least disturbing for my stomach, so any type you could get in caps is best.

Comment

Oooo, thanks for suggesting Aleve, pet slave! I didn't know that was Naproxen, which was the only thing that helped with edometriosis pain before my hysterectomy--I'm gonna go out and get some TODAY!!! I've been up the last two nights with sciatica....thank you, thank you, thank you!
                  2L8 2B STR8

Comment

Bon, You're welcome,you're welcome,you're welcome!!!

I'm glad I could help!!

Aleve (Naproxen) is the only over the counter pain med that helps my back.

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and Motrin (Ibuprofen) don't even take the edge off.

I'm trying to stay away from prescription meds, I don't like their side effects or their cost.

Comment

Working...
                    X