Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long did you wear a brace-post/op(if you did)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long did you wear a brace-post/op(if you did)...

How long did you have to wear your brace after surgery??? I've been in mine (Jewitt Br) since aug(1st) surgery....My husband wants to do a wkend away trip maybe early this Nov. & I was hoping to be at least half in/half out of my brace that mth....I thought my Dr. said 2 mths in & last mth 50/50..yet his nurse told me I stay in until my dec next appmt....I'm hoping she was mistaken & forgot my surgery date...will recheck it with her soon....
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Hi Ly...

I was in for 5 months. I've found it varies by patient, so it's not going to really help you to know how long the rest of us were in the brace. Your best bet is to call the doc's office for clarification.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I haven't actually had my surgery yet, but my doctor said I will have a brace for three months, all the time except for at night.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I had the turtle shell brace. Is that the same as the Jewitt???

At my 3 month post-op visit, my doctor told me I could start to wean myself off of it gradually, with the goal of 5 weeks. I was hesitant at first, thinking there's no way I'll be able to go without it, but once I was able to take it off and put it on by myself, that was it.

I was out of it in about 2 or 3 weeks tops. I may have rushed it, but I'll never know.

Brace or no brace, if you feel up to a weekend trip, GO FOR IT!!!

Shari

Comment

I wore a corsett for 2 weeks.

Comment

I haven't had surgery yet but i was told 3 months i would have to wear a brace for..... I thought that was how long most people would wear them for. Here in Australia all the people who i've spoken to only wore these for 3 months. But then again everyone is different.

Love Lee
            Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

I hate my brace. It is very uncomfortable. I go back to see my surgeon on the 17 and I think it will have to br adjusted again. Couldnt wear ir in the beginning because my stomach was so swollen.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Dawney--how are you doing/give me a ring...
                I e-mailed Dr. Boachie to find out if I could take the brace off a bit in November since I've worn it since August....My husband wants to take us away for a day or 2 ..about a 3 hr drive...
                I have been very good about wearing my brace but of course, I am dying to wear a nice tight shirt on my new 'back'!!!! I bought several shirts before surgery so you can imagine my excitement after all of this!!!! Ly

Comment

Working...
                X