Surgery in 2 months. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in 2 months. . .

My surgery is December 12 and of course I am starting to worry about every little detail- one concern I have is that I found out yesterday that my insurance most likely will not pay for a private room ( I will be at HSS in New York) That sounds horrible to me! Has anyone had to share a room?- was it extremely uncomfortable to go through all that with a perfect stranger in your room? Yikes!!

Having a roommate not bad

Hi Bsprings,

I had two roommates while I was in for my surgery and actually enjoyed having them. When you drop or lose your call button for the nurse, they can call someone for you to come and get it (and you will lose it). Also you can call the nurse for them in return and feel like you are helping someone out.

The first few days you will be pretty oblivious of much going on in your room. I slept through anything; even when my roommate had all of her family in with her or they were doing physical therapy with her, it didn't bother me because of the good drugs. Plus both roommates were pretty well laid up in bed like I was, so we would grunt and groan together and laugh at ourselves!

If you do get stuck with someone who is incompatible, you can ask to be moved to another room and they will try to accommodate you if possible.

Deb
    age 47
    posterior surgery 7/24/06
    for S curve T70,L76
    30 degrees correction
    DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

I was fortunate that The hospital I had my surgery at only offered private rooms. I have known and heard of folks who have had roomates and my understanding is that it is no big deal. You are going to be medicated and tired and not really focused on who else is in the room.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

My roommates were fine...& believe me, you'll be highly medicated so as BBest said you won't even care if George Clooney is your roommate!!!HA!! By the time your into the second week, the P.T. guys come around, & then you'll be more 'with it' & appreciate their kindness & good looks!!! That's what I remember about HSS--they had damned good looking P.T. guys. .............Ly

Comment

Hi Bsprings,

My insurance only covered a semi-private room. I was told by my insurance company (United Healthcare) that I could get a private room for an additional $25.00 a day. Not a bad deal. I believe I was in a semi-private room for 1 day before I was moved to my own room.

Like others said, I really don't even remember my own visitors, so I don't think it would have been an issue to be in a semi-private room. I have to admit though it was nice to be moved since my family stayed with me overnight (nearly 24 hours a day).

Perhaps you can check out the additional fee for a private room. I also paid an additional $8.00 for a TV and phone.

Hope that helps!
          Nickie

Comment

My first surgery I had a private room(had to pay for it), and it was worth it except that I wasn't on the ortho floor.

This last surgery I ws with a woman who had hip replacement surgery. She was nice, and it was fun to talk about how we were but her family came by the dozen and it was so disrespectful to us both, as they were loud and she kept asking them to go away. She did moan pretty loud at night and it made it very difficult for me to sleep, so that was another negative. I guess it depends on who you're paired with.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

One of my biggest concerns is that family members are not allowed to stay with you when you are in a semi private room. I wanted someone to be there with me at night- isn't that important? My insurance told me to write a letter to ask for them to make an exception and pay for a private room. I think the price difference would be too much for me to afford. Thanks for all your input!!
              Cathie

Comment

I didn't have family members stay with me overnight at the hospital after surgery. It is too noisy for them to get any real sleep. There is beeping going on all through the night from your i.v., and your neighbor's, if you have one, nurses going in and out, doctors coming in at 6 am to talk to you, etc.

I really felt that company there during the day was enough; actually, too much company is exhausting. You really need to be able to sleep. If you do have company overnight, they will probably need to leave during the day to find a place to get some sleep!

I really liked having a semi-private room and a roommate. We both kept losing or dropping our call button onto the floor and couldn't pick it up, so we could ask each other to call the nurse for us. Otherwise, you are stuck until someone comes in that you can ask to help you. Plus with a roommate you can moan and groan when you feel like it where with family and friends, you don't want to upset them with your pain.

Deb
                age 47
                posterior surgery 7/24/06
                for S curve T70,L76
                30 degree correction
                DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

Since this subject has been brought up, whether you have a private or semi-private room will be a personal preference.

The most important thing that you should make sure of, is that you will be placed in the ortho section of the hospital!!!

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by bsprings
                    One of my biggest concerns is that family members are not allowed to stay with you when you are in a semi private room. I wanted someone to be there with me at night- isn't that important? My insurance told me to write a letter to ask for them to make an exception and pay for a private room. I think the price difference would be too much for me to afford. Thanks for all your input!!
                    Cathie
                    To know if it's important that someone stays with you at night I guess depends on your experience and how the staff is. For me, living in Canada and having a public system be my health care, my husband had to be there for at least the first few nights. The reason is they are under staffed, and even if I pushed the button to get my pain meds or any help I could wait an hour or so most of the time. A lot of people stay for their famly b/c of this, and sometimes we got a folding bed(not sure how to call it) for him to sleep on.
                    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was by myself in the hospital but like the others said at that point you are lucky to remember bits and pieces of what is going on.
                      surgery 9/06
                      Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
                      X