Thoracoplasty and chest tube. Mom's worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracoplasty and chest tube. Mom's worried

Hi everyone. My surgery date is planned, and i'll be admited on the 23rd of this month which unfortunately happens to be my birthday. Now I went for my check-up today and my dr. said i can have the thoracoplasty done but they'll probably have to insert a chest tube for a day or two. Because of that my mom is worried about me having a next scar, and doesn't want me to have it done. But i really want to get it done. Can anyone here please explain how the chest tube thing goes? I really don't know what in tha world she's so worried about.
    ~Debra~
    55*Thoracic curve-progressing, compensatory lumbar

Hi,

Most chest tubes are placed on your side, way below your armpit. They are not anywhere near your neck, usually. An "A"-line (arterial line) is often placed in your neck for the doc's convenience and your safety. Ask if they will be placing an "A"-line? That will leave a small scar too. A chest tube scar can be ugly, but I promise it heals well and becomes the same color as your skin over time. My Braydon has had 3 chest tubes (2 on the right side, and one on the left side). Not bad at all. I hope your mom doesn't worry too much. Chest tubes are the least of your problems. You'll need to make sure you keep breathing so your lungs don't get pneumonia. That will be your biggest challenge, I think.

Good luck!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

i had a chest tube, and it scarred some, but over time it gets better. I wont lie, it does hurt somewhat, but if you have a pillow to hug when you cough or laugh it helps. just make sure you still take deep breaths..then they can get all the stuff out of you faster
      8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

I had a chest drain when I had my surgery in 1991, I had both surgeries at the same time, rod and thoracoplasty (think it was called costoplasty back then), I did have a little fluid on my lung the side where they did the thoracoplasty, but I didn't feel it, it was a little uncomfortable when they took it out, but they tell you to take a deep breath and by the time you've done that its gone!
        I had my OH take a look the other day for the scar for my chest tube and neither of us could find it so it just shows its not a 'bad' scar.

On a personal level I feel that a tiny physical scar is 100 times better than a mental scar left by feeling abnormal bcause of a noticable rib hump, hugs to you with whatever you decide
        1st Surgery in 1991 aged 15
        Fused T2 to L2
        'S' curve
        Before surgery T39 L49
        Revision surgery 6th Nov 2006

Comment

Working...
        X