Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emotional scars and releasing the pain of trauma

Hello all,
    This is my first post. I wanted to jump in here. I'm 40, congenital scoliosis, 80 degree curve and from what I've been reading on this forum, I've had it pretty easy. Even with the severity of my curve, I have essentially no pain. I wore Milwaukee braces and casts until age 16. I had fusion surgery, no rods, at age 11 (Dr. Justus Pickett WVU hosptial). My curve hasn't changed much since the surgery --good thing, too, I already feel like a pretzel.
    Because I've never had any pain issues, I have needed very little medical intervention in adulthood. (I've had more emotional effects than physical) Only recently did I decide to get a series of massages. I've had mostly Swedish, one sports massage and a hot stone massage. The hot stone massage was fabulous. The heat on my muscles really penetrated. One BIG suprise was the emotional releases that I've had during or after a massage. I've never liked anyone touching my back. Not because of the way it feels, but I don't want anyone to know how deformed I am. Consequently, a lifetime of avoiding touch makes for a fairly vulnerable massage patient. Has anyone else had emotional experiences during massages? My strongest experience so far was after a massage during which I could not relax, especially while I was supine (face up). I couldn't figure out why. Later that afternoon I was resting and a memory hit me. It was a memory of when I was post surgery and on a Stryker Frame. The nurse came in to turn me on my stomach, but she forgot to attach the top bed. She was distracted and in a hurry I guess. She grabbed the handle to turn me, but my Dad yelled "STOP!" She almost flipped me on the floor. I remember the event but I didn't think it was that significant. I have just always considered it a part of my history. I guess my muscle memory (?) linked being on that narrow massage table with the Stryker Frame trauma. I was emotional for several hours, but I felt like I let loose of something afterward. Has anyone else had similar experiences with "flashbacks" or other emotions resurfacing out of the blue??

Hi Christine,

I was actally wanting to start a thread about living with scoliosis pre op, post op trauma or flashbacks that some of us can experience, as I sometimes feel weird or alone in the fact that contrary to a lot of people that say they don't remember as much from the surgery and post op pain, I remember everything and having had three surgeries and other health issues I can say that I have become more vulnerable to stress and incidents that can remind me of what I went through, or just get very anxious at the moment. Yesterday as me and hubby went out on our daily walk, a dog attacked us and hubby had to fight him off, thank God he didn't get bit hard or something but I was shaken all night and I know what you mean by getting massages or some sort of treatment that make you feel good and it releases emotions, as I am also not a touchy feely person and very hard to trust peole to touch me- even in the medical field, or maybe especially since like you some have made mistakes in the past where I ended up in pain, etc.

I read many times that surgery is a violation of our body, and I believe it is. There's nothing to be ashamed about if we need to feel certain emotions when we're reminded of it, it's normal.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Christine D.,
      I just wanted to share with you that the emotional release you experienced is very normal...it is often referred to as a somatoemotional release. An emotion, or a flashback can resurface if one experiences any particular sensation related to a past "trauma/experience"...and it can be from a movement, touch, etc... The body has an emotional memory on a cellular level, and it remembers all things, especially things we "chose" to not fully emotionally experience at that time. These present "re-experiences" enable us to feel those feelings again as the person we are today, and fully let go of the "held-onto" subconscious trauma..., hence your feeling of a sense of "release" and "lightness". Any touch therapies, such as massage can strongly bring these experiences forward...it is also important to know that the body never allows something to resurface, unless it feels it is ready to experience it and let it go, so it is never an experience to fear in the future. I have experienced many of these in my life, and proactively bring more forward through somatoemotional release techniques, to experience more "freedom and lightness". I recently had one occur that was related to my surgery also, and it has made a huge impact on my life now...for the better! That is a wonderful thing you were able to experience and let go of...enjoy the gift!

Comment

I can identify with your emotional issues

I just wanted to say that I to this day will not let anyone touch my back, especially massages, and if someone puts their hand on my back I just cringe. It's not that it hurts, but I don't want people to know how deformed I am. I have 80/70/35 curves at age 48. I am going for my third different surgical opinion in the next few weeks. I have had very low self-esteem body issues for years. Funny, no one, especially my husband, can understand it unless you have it.

It is not being vain. Being vain to me would be getting a breast augmentation. It is not NORMAL to have a back so twisted and deformed, and unless you have been through it people have no right to tell you not to worry what people think.

I just thought I would share that with you. I congratulate those you have gone ahead and had massages even though it is uncomfortable dealing with our bodies. I look forward to the day when I feel better about myself after surgery.

Kkong

Comment

I can't tell you all how great it is to read your replies to my post. I have NEVER been able to share any of these feelings with anyone. And to find that there are people who feel the same way is so comforting. I also cringe when anyone, except for my parents, husband and kids, touch my back. And it is for the very same reason. I don't want them to know just how deformed I am. And the absolute WORST is if I'm in a group and we are doing anything like team building, church family stuff, or acting warmup or whatever, and the leader says "OK, get in a circle, turn to your left and rub the person's back who is in front of you and then switch so everyone gets a backrub" OH MY GOSH!!! Thoughts of homicide cross my mind when this happens. I have 2 choices, stay and let the awkwardness begin, or leave the circle and call attention to myself that way. And the height issue just p*sses me off to no end. I am 4' 9" and I can tell you that there isn't a "short joke" I haven't heard. Thankfully, God gave me a father with a fantastic sense of humor which I am told I inherited. It has allowed me to turn the emotional pain into humor for the most part. But the deep stuff is still festering. I have a lot of anger toward my doctor (now deceased), guilt about my parents, and fear about the future. An unexpected light at the end of the tunnel is finding my massage therapist. His role in my care is unlike any I've ever had. He's not my doctor, so I know he'll never say "looks like you'll be needing surgery, we'll decide next appt" (as my doctor did for years, causing me to fear each appt so much, I would throw up on the way to the office), he's not my parents and he'll never withhold information from me for fear of hurting me, or have a look of sadness or pity on his face. (My folks are fabulous and provided wonderful physical and emotional care for me, but they were deeply affected by my condition), he's not my husband, whose touch sometimes leads to things which wouldn't be appropriate in a therapeutic massage setting (wink, wink), and he's not a friend who might judge me because of my deformity, my height, the way I dress etc. He is licensed to provide caring, therapeutic touch. And the great thing is, I have control over what he can touch and what he can't. If I'm feeling like I don't want my back touched one day, there are no questions, no judgments, he'll just do my arms, legs, hands, feet, whatever. And when I have emotions that spill on the table in the form of tears, he is just "there" for me. He's not emotionally invested like my loved ones are so his objectivity allows me to be freer with my emotions because I know I can't traumatize him with my emotions. KKong,I would encourage anyone to try massage therapy--even if it's just for your arms, hands, feet etc. Touch, I'm slowly learning, is really important for mind, body and soul. Wow! Sorry this was so long. I got on a roll!

Comment

Hi Christine (and others)...

When I start feeling really negative about my body, I remind myself that my friends don't really care about my looks, so I should stop thinking that's any issue for them. And, that while I got dealt a crappy hand, it's not nearly as bad as those of others. I have friends who have other problems (obesity, a crossed eye, etc.), and I don't love them any less because of those issues. If someone judges me because of my deformity, I guess I should be glad that I don't have to be friends with that person.

I hope that you continue to find ways to deal with your issues. Always remember that they're way bigger to you than they are to anyone who loves you.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

A fellow short person!

Hi Christine -- Over the last few years I've shrunk to just under four-ten -- I never minded being tiny, in fact I was able to capitalize on it a bit -- but that was when I was four-eleven!! I'm a bit more self-conscious now and wear heels almost all the time. But Linda is right -- our physical appearance serves only to give people an intial impression, and then I think friends really don't think about what we look like anymore. I have very uneven hips and tend to wear clothes that camoflage it, but if people see my big hump when I bend over, I really don't care. I think most people are too busy thinking about themselves to notice anyway, unless we point it out.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Christine, I'm 52 and I compeltely understand. I still to this day I will look in the mirror at my left side (which is flat) and then the right side (which has the elevated shoulder blade). I think it's more of a habit now than disgust. When I shop for clothes, I will ask whoever I'm with "how does my back look"? Nine times out of ten, they will say, they can't even tell. But we know it's there, we feel it and it's part of us. I'm a thin person and dress according to my age and the way my body is. Next time you are at a shopping mall, look at all the people (all ages) that wear clothing that they shouldn't (if you know what I mean) and I bet people will not even notice your back. While I will never wear an open back dress with my scars, I do find that I am wearing things that I would not have worn a few years ago and it feels good because I realize this is who I am. Hope you're having a better day. LYNN
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

For me it's never been about how my back looks, b/c the curve is not as noticeable as other body parts since it's on my back, and my scar I feel ok about it(meaning it's something I went through), but more that I don't like people except my husband touching my back too much. I feel like it's been through so much and I need to "protect" it so to speak, like it's my sacred place, if that makes sense.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
                    For me it's never been about how my back looks, b/c the curve is not as noticeable as other body parts since it's on my back, and my scar I feel ok about it(meaning it's something I went through), but more that I don't like people except my husband touching my back too much. I feel like it's been through so much and I need to "protect" it so to speak, like it's my sacred place, if that makes sense.
                    I was that way for a long time... especially if someone came up from behind and surprised me by touching my back. I would just about jump out of my skin. Fortunately, it went away after many years.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I recently had surgery and I had quite a few coworkers visit me one night. The funniest thing that they said was that they never realized how crooked I really was until they saw me so straight
                      surgery 9/06
                      Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
                      X