Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of questions!

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and I just found out a few days ago that I have to have surgery. Although I've been preparing myself to hear this for about 2 years, it still came as a shock to me, and I'm starting to freak out! Surgery is scheduled for January 3, 2007.

I have quite a few questions... Any info would be much appreciated!

I was told that I'll be in the hospital for 7 days after the surgery. Dr. Boachie at the Hospital for Special Surgery is doing it. My questions are mainly about after I leave the hospital. What happens?! I live about an hour from the hospital...can I go normally in a car or do I have to take some other mode of transportation? How long until I'll be able to walk up a flight of stairs? How long until I'm fairly self sufficient?

Also, is there an easy way to sleep? (I have a feather bed on my bed right now, i'm assuming I should take that off?) And, regarding rehab/PT, when does that start?

I wasn't really given too much info when I saw the dr, so thanks in advance for any details post-op you can give me.

Lesly

surgery w/ boachie

leslie - dont hav post op wisdom yet . keep reading other posts they hav been helpful to us. my daughter is having her surgery w/ dr. boachie oct. 17. all i can say is dont overwelm yourself too quick take one day & one step at @ a time to prepare. good luck to u. boachie is one of the best. have faith & surrender to your situation. longislandmom

Comment

We drove my daughter home in the car. She leaned the front seat back and rode that way. Make sure you take pain medicine right before you leave, it helps with the bumps! My daughter had to walk up 15 steps to get into our house. We did move her bed down to the first floor for a week to make it easier for her. She had 2 rods put in and didn't have a brace or anything. The big thing for her was taking a shower. I had cut her hair to shoulder length and it was easier to wash that way. It took her a week before she could take a shower without feeling like she was going to pass out. (Now I can't get her out of the shower.) As for sleeping, learning how to get up using your arms and swinging your legs over the side is the only problem. They teach you how to do that in the hospital. I prefer a more firm bed and my daughter prefers a soft bed, so you will just have to try your feather bed and see what feels best. My daughter just had a couple of lessons on getting in and out of bed and walking up and down steps in the hospital - no other p.t. Don't be afraid to call your doctor's office with your questions. I always make a list to bring with me. You should have a pre-op appointment right before your surgery when you can ask more questions!
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Lesly
        What happens?! I live about an hour from the hospital...can I go normally in a car or do I have to take some other mode of transportation? How long until I'll be able to walk up a flight of stairs? How long until I'm fairly self sufficient?

Also, is there an easy way to sleep? (I have a feather bed on my bed right now, i'm assuming I should take that off?) And, regarding rehab/PT, when does that start?

I wasn't really given too much info when I saw the dr, so thanks in advance for any details post-op you can give me.

Lesly
        Hi Lesly...

You should be able to have someone drive you home in a regular car. Low sports cars might be a problem. The hospital should give you enough pain medication to make the trip bearable. You'll probably be so glad to leave the hospital that you'll hardly notice the drive.

You'll be taught how to log roll in bed. I haven't slept in a feather bed since my surgery, but I'm thinking that it may make it difficult to do that maneuver.

You probably won't have any real PT. You will have OT (occupational therapy) starting as early as the day after surgery. They'll teach you how to walk, climb stairs, and do the activities of everyday life.

As you read more here, you'll probably come across posts by people who have blogged about their surgery recovery. It might be really helpful to read some of them. For example, here's one by Ly, who had her surgery with Dr. Boachie:

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com/

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lesly-
          I am having surgery with Dr. Boachie Dec 12. He told me I will be in a rehab center for about a week after I leave the hospital. But your case might not be as severe as mine, maybe that is why he did not say anything about rehab to you. My concern is getting on a plane- I live in Atlanta. Welcome to the forum- I have learned so much about what to expect. Good luck to you!!
          Cathie

Comment

Thanks for all of your input... I guess I'm actually more nervous about being in the hospital.. I've never even had an IV! And I hate needles!! From what I hear, the hospital stay is pretty much a blur from all of the drugs.
            I'm wondering how long it will be until I'm able to work again. I'm in sales, so pretty much my days are walking all over the city to see clients and carrying bags. I'm sure it will be a while until I'm doing that again.
            Anyway, any other info would be greatly appreciated.
            Thank you all for the support!

Lesly

Comment

Hi Lesley-- can't say enough about Dr. Boachie! I felt I was in the best hands & he gave me great hope that something could be done for me...email me if you need info--lynne lelc2002@yahoo.com........

Comment

Hi Lesly, I'm another patient of Dr.Boachie's, scheduled for surgery next year. I was also in shock when I heard I needed surgery, and it's taken me months and months to face it. Sometime when you have an hour or two, sit down and read through the various threads in this section of the Forum (First-time surgery). You'll get tons of information about what to expect before, during, and after. Good luck!
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks again, for all of the info. I have been addicted to this forum! So much information that is helping me prepare.

Although I know it's different for children, I've read a lot about dr's putting a limit on how much weight patients can carry post-op. Have any of you had any problems carrying bags and if so for how long?

Like I said, I carry bags all day long... I understand that I may have to be out of this type of work for a while, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how long is a while!

Thanks again,
                  Lesly

Comment

Hi
                    I had NEVER been overnight in a hospital until this surgery either. The surgeons and hospital staff are wonderful, but my family and boyfriend really made my hospital stay easier. I had someone by my side about 20 hours everyday on a rotating schedule. This was the best thing I did! I went back to work part time after 3 1/2 months and full time by four months. I'm restricted to lifting/carrying 10 pounds.
                    Jenn
                    37 y/o female
                    60 degree lumbar
                    45 degree thoracic
                    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                    T 5 to S 1
                    NYC

Comment

Lesly, When I had my surgeries I had a feather mattress on my bed and I kept it on. It sure felt good. I believe my bare mattress would have been to uncomfortable. Everyone is different of course but for me my feather mattress was great.
                      After my first surgery I was up and walking 5 days after surgery. PT came in and had me up. I was going to the bathroom and sitting in a chair by myself.
                      Very slow but on my own.
                      I rode home in my own car, I rode in the back seat, more comfortable. I had about an hour and half trip home. But I had a pain pill before I left and did ok. Boy was I glad to get home. Hope this helps.
                      Good Luck. Mattie

Comment

Lesly,

Welcome. I would ditch the feather bed. I had a soft egg crate foam thing on my mattress and a memory foam topper. After sleeping in a firm, supportive hospital bed, I couldn't stand my comfy, foamy mattress and removed both toppers from my bed. I was able to put them both back on right around 2 mos. post-op. Then again, everyone is different.
                        Brandi
                        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                        L1-S1
                        Dr. William Lauerman
                        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Lesly-
                          I am in sales too and am telling my employer 6 months- but I am guessing. It depends on the extent of your surgery I am sure. Isn't it comforting to see so many people on this forum that are using Dr. Boachie?
                          Cathie

l

Comment

Cathie-

Yes, it's great to hear so many good things about Dr. Boachie! I had been researching for over a year when I finally decided to go see him. And he made me feel so comfortable when I went to see him...I definitely trust him!

What kind of sales are you in? Im actually really nervous about coming back.. I carry bags and walk all over the city all day long.. It might be tough to do even after 6 months! So I'm just going to play it by ear...

Lesly

Comment

Lesly -

I went back to work at 3 mos. post-op. However, I have a desk job and allthough I walk back and forth to the copy room, etc. I do not have to trek through the city.
                              Brandi
                              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                              L1-S1
                              Dr. William Lauerman
                              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X