Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home after surgery

Hi All,

Not sure if you remember me, but I had my Spinal Fusion surgery Friday, September 22nd. I'm home now. My Drs. sent me home on the Wednesday after surgery. I was scared that I was not ready. The first few days were a blur - morophine and diloted (spelling?) were my friends. After the first few days of IV drugs, I was switched over to pills - I was on Vicodin and it wasn't working for me. They eventually settled on Percoset and Valium - working wonders.

As far as pain goes, I'm sore - as I expected to be but every day is dramatically better. I've got great support at home - between my parents, husband, brother and friends, I'm entertained all day long.

I do have some questions for some of you others that are post op - I'm not really sure how long I should be on this medication - as they gave me instructions while I was not really coherent. I'm trying to wean myself off the valium, but it's a great muscle relaxer. I do have some pain in my upper shoulders when I twist and turn during the night - but I have a feeling that may be normal. Another pain (more like numbness) I feel is in my lower hips - the part of your butt that touches chairs - is this normal?

I'm not sure that this is all making sense since I'm still under the influence of drugs, but any replies/responses would be appreciated. For those of you heading this way - I wish you all luck.

Nickie
    Fused 9/22/06 T5-L4
    Cinicnnnati Spine Institute

PS. My Drs. both said they were exceptionally pleased with my progress!! Go me!

Nickie,

Glad to hear all is well. You are post-op 9 days and you are thinking of getting off the meds already?? Geeze, I didn't think about anything but talking them as I needed for as long as I needed. I too had Valium and it made me a bit wiggy. I cut my 5 mg pills in half and took them that way as I needed and then I was more normal. You will be sore for awhile, remember this was a huge surgery and you are so right every day is dramatically better! Just think how good you will feel in weeks and months out.

As for the numbness that is pretty normal for all of us to have some somewhere. I am still pretty numb on one side, butt and hip. It is the side where they took my bone graft. It can last for at least a year (My Dr. said.) or not go away at all. I laugh when my husband walks by and swats me on the numb cheek "Wrong side honey!"

Keep up the good work and keep up posted on your progress. Best wishes.

Comment

Wow NIcki

Hi Nicki,

I am totally amazed that you are already able to get on the computer and post to us. Sometimes we don't hear from people for over 2 months! Sounds like you're doing great. my surgeon expected me to be on narcotics at least 4 weeks after I came home, then I weaned off it and went to some milder painkillers, but I'm 10 weeks post-op and just tylenol isn't enough sometimes.

I'd give your dr.'s office a phone call and ask them to give you the instructions for your meds and how and when to start weaning down on them. You don't want to go off too fast or you may get withdrawal symptoms (I speak from experience), so follow their instructions!! Mine wanted me to be off the strong stuff before I started driving, which was by 7 weeks.

But don't worry about this now; just focus on resting and getting well and take your pain meds as directed!!

Deb
      age 47
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      for S curve T70,L76
      30 degrees correction
      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

I cant even think about givig up my painkillers yet. I am so happy that you are doing so well. Perc and valium is what does it for me. The valium really helps my tummy area. I would definitely consult doc before trying yo wean off.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Morning!

Thanks all for your replies. I'm probably pre-mature on trying to get off the pills. I talked to my Drs. office this morning as I'm experiencing some sharp pain between my shoulder blades when I try to get pants over my brace in the back area. I guess that's from trying to get off the valium. I had been trying to take it less often, which proved to be painful. The nurse said to keep taking my meds every 4-6 hours as prescribed. I won't worry too much about the length of time I'll be on the meds - need to have more faith in the Drs. They'll let me know when enough is enough.

Other than that things are going well. I also experience the numbness in my butt and hip area, but like the nurse said, it's totally normal. Good to hear that.

Thanks,
          Nickie

Comment

I started weaning myself off after two months by cutting pills in half and taking them every 5 hrs.....then 6 hrs... and so on
            Jenn
            37 y/o female
            60 degree lumbar
            45 degree thoracic
            1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
            T 5 to S 1
            NYC

Comment

Hi Nickie,

It's great to hear that all is going well for you.

Sometimes I think that our medication makes us feel good enough that "we think" we don't need them. Don't rush the process, especially so soon after surgery. Listen to your doctor!!!

Shari

Comment

Welcome back. Congrats on a successful surgery. Take care of yourself.
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

measure

Originally posted by nharalamos
                  Hi All,

Nickie
                  Fused 9/22/06 T5-L4
                  Cinicnnnati Spine Institute

PS. My Drs. both said they were exceptionally pleased with my progress!! Go me!
                  Hey Nickie,
                  By any chance do you know measure of your curves? Also how has been your experience with Doctors over at Cinci Spine Institute? I have heard there is one in Dayton too but not sure if they are any good

Comment

Hi Marcilo,

I don't know very many spine doctors in the tri-state area, but I was recommended to Dr. Kahn by a lady I worked with. Her younger sister had the same surgery with him several years back. They have a website if you want to check it out: http://www.cincinnatispineinstitute.com/. I contacted them and visited with both Dr. Kahn and Dr. Montgomery - both really nice - they told me to call nurse Dottie who hosts a class that's about 1.5 to 2 hours long that explains pre-op, operation and post-op proceedures. This was VERY insightful and really opened the window for me to do more investigation. She, nurse Dottie, used to assist during surgery and is very well informed. She also gave me the names of 4 other ladies that had similar surgies to mine. She contacted them for me and asked if it was ok to contact them myself. I took advantage of this and it turned out to be a great inspiration.

I'm not sure what my curves have been corrected to, I won't get that information until my 1 month post op visit (October 26th), but I had an "S" curve with 49 degree upper and 51 degree lower. Although my curves were not as bad as some others, I went ahead with the surgery as to prevent any additional health complications that may arise with age and pregnancy.

I hope this information helps.

I would definitely make the appointments with other Drs. as well - there's nothing to lose (other than your co-pay) - the more you know the better. I know that Drs. Kahn and Montgomery perform several spinal surgeries weekly. At this point (and I'm only 12 days post-op), I'm pleased with my decision.

Thanks,
                    Nickie

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for posting all the details, I will definitely check out their website. Another question, did you go to them after you had decided on surgery or you were seeing them and they suggested you surgery.

Comment

Marcilo,

I wasn't sure that surgery was the answer, but after I spoke with the Drs. and Nurse Dottie and the four patients she put me in touch with, I decided to do it. It was one of those things that would help me in the future and most likely I would have to do it eventually, so why not now that I'm young (31) and kidless.

Good luck with your research - feel free to ask me anything you like. I know this is a huge decision to make. I was in your shoes 6 months ago.

Nickie

Comment

Nickie ~
                          Congrats on your recovery so far. I had surgery in Feb. 2005 at 30 yrs. old and am fused T3-L4. If you want to talk off of the boards about anything during your recovery, just send me a PM!

Comment

Thanks Heidi,

I do have some questions for you - may be of interest to others as well. I can't seem to take a shower yet on my own - I get too hot and feel like I'm about to pass out. I'm not running hot water either, luke warm at best. Luckily, I either have my hubby or mom with me which helps, but I was just wondering how long till I'm strong enough to do this on my own.

Thanks,
                            Nickie

Comment

I remember that feeling very well. Just standing in the shower would absolutely exhaust me. By the time I was done washing myself I needed a nap. For me, this feeling subsided around 2 mos. post-op.
                              Brandi
                              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                              L1-S1
                              Dr. William Lauerman
                              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X