Leaving tomorrow for Thursday surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving tomorrow for Thursday surgery

I just wanted to let you all know that another of us is heading to surgery after many months of waiting in anxiety and anticipation. You have all been so helpful to me and I have learned more here than any doctor could have taught me about what it is really going to be like to take on daily living after scoliosis surgery.

My surgery is extensive...anterior and posterior. I will have 3 vertebrae removed and replaced with carbon fibor cages. I will be fused from T2 through S1. I am also one of the older patients with arthritis, slight osteoporosis, and a multitute of aches and pains that I didn't have 10 years ago.....don't wait until you are 57 like I have! It only gets worse and more dangerous.

Anyway......my husband has promised to check-in and give you a little feedback on how things are going after surgery until I can rejoin you. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers next Thursday. Dr. Shelokov will do the surgery.

Marcia, best of luck and sending lots of good thoughts your way.

All best,
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

We're with you in spirit

Dear Marcia,

Good for you to finally get this done! The straighter, repaired back is worth all the trouble. We'll all be praying and thinking of you as well as waiting to hear from your husband as to how you are doing. Just think, when you come back, you'll be one of us on the other side and will be encouraging all the newbies, too!

Deb
      age 47
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      for S curve T70,L76
      30 degree correction
      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

Thank you...

Thank you for the encouragement! I look forward to being on the other side!! Not looking forward to the next few weeks though! But I'm tough, I have a great doctor, and God is in control.

Comment

I will be thinking of you, Marcia! Best wishes! I think when you know you are doing the right thing, god will take over for you from here! LY
          ps. do e-mail me if you need to...... lelc2002@yahoo.com[/email]

Comment

Good luck

Marcia, I know you will do great. I will be thinking of you on Thursday. As they say, been there, done that--it has been a year since my surgery with Dr. Shelokov. There will be ups and downs but it sounds like you have great family support and you will be OK. You will certainly need your faith in God as there will be some trying times. Take care.
            Judy

Comment

Hi Marcia,

You will be in my thoughts also. You'll do just fine!!! You have a great doctor!!! Looking forward to hearing from your husband.

Shari

Comment

Hi Marcia- I will be praying for you!! My surgery is in December so I know how you feel. I am hoping & praying that you recover quickly- we will be looking for some news from you soon!
                Cathie

Comment

Marcia -
                  Best of luck to you. Please let us know how it went when you can.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Marcia,
                    I'm so excited for you and so happy. I want to be YOU right now! I'm also 57 and waiting to even be scheduled and hope it happens soon. Mine will be extensive also, so I'm feeling your shoes right now. At least you'll be on the other side and healing very soon. We know you'll do great. You sound very strong. Keep in touch! Berta
                    Berta in Hawaii

Comment

All the best

Marcia,

All the very best to you for upcoming surgery. Since you mentioned Osteoporosis, did Doctors mention if this can be an issue?

Comment

updates

Any updates on this?

Comment

I wish you the best of luck & will pray for the success of your surgery & healing.
                          I am scheduled for Idiopathic Scoliosis Surgery (Anterior & Posterior) on November 3rd & 6th. I am 61 & having it done at Beth Israel/Deaconess in Boston, MA with Dr. Paul Glazer. I had cervical spine surgery in Feb. of 2005 & it was very successful. I have been very fortunate to have wonderflu Dr.s.
                          I have 2 more donations of my own blood to give for my surgery. I am very positive about this & know I have a tough road ahead of me. I will be in a brace for about 4 months & have to have someone with me all the time for the first month. It will be my husband so I hope he has a lot of patience stored up!!
                          May God hold you in the palm of His hand!!
                          crooked apostle

Comment

i hope everything is going well! i havent heard anything either.
                            Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Crookedapostle,

I am just behind you, at 57 1/2 and not even scheduled yet! What vertebres are you having fused? What is your curvature? How is your health in general. I like being able to talk to others in my age group! I'm hoping to know my surgery date soon.
                              Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Working...
                              X