Surgery 1 year ago back with severe pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery 1 year ago back with severe pain

Just joined this websit. I had surgery 1 year ago Tuesday. Did great after surgery until around June and then the severe pain is back. Am on pain medication and my doc recommended acupuncture. Has anyone had this and did it help. I am very discouraged. I had one of the best surgeons Any suggestions?

Yes, if your surgeon hasn't given you a satisfactory reason why you have the specific pain, get a second opinion.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Celeste,

Welcome to this forum!!! Of course we all have different experiences with this surgery. I had a long recovery. I think it depends on how long your fusion is and the procedue your doctor did. We all have different experiences!!!

Even though we all have scoliosis, I haven't been convinced yet, that we are all the same!!! I still feel it is a wonderful thing to share our experience, but never wise to compare!!!! Some of us still have pain some time after our inital surgery. I don't think it's something we should ever be ashamed of. Don't get discouraged, time heals the all wounds. And whether it takes us a couple of months or a couple of years, so what.

The bottom line is, we did it for our future!!!

Just my opinion,
      Shari

Comment

Hi Celeste...beautiful name

I tried acupuncture but it only helps with areas where I'm not fused and don't have hardware(such as my stiff neck, and pinched nerves in my neck shoulders and arms/hands). Everything I get such as massages or acupuncture in my fused area makes it worse, and gives me inflammation.

I don't know what kind of pain you have and where it is, that would maybe give some idea of what could be wrong, or if it's just that you need more time to heal. If you can describe it, maybe some of us can help and of course seeing your doctor or a different one will help.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Celeste - I agree with Sweetness....I have tried accupunture but to no avail. Massages are totally out of the question as it feels good while it's being done but I suffer terribly - inflamation of the muscles, that it's not worth it. Is it the same pain you had before the surgery? I know it's so discouraging, but I do also feel you should get a second opinion. Take care, LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
          X