Home Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Tomorrow

I am so excited to be going home tomorrow. I feel that I have been away for ever. I have my ruby slippers on There's no place like home. Words can't describe how good it will be. Therapy has been going well I actually took a shower by myself today. Needed someone to dry my legs bu still a big accomplishment. I did a whole flight of steps with a cane. Practiced getting in and out of the car. Everyones suggestion of using a trash bag to help slide in....right on the money. I had a pretty big day today so I am hoping to get a good night sleep. I have to stay awake for season premiere of supernatural. My biggest discomfort is still in the front from that incision. Even this early in the healing process I can honestly say that I have no regrets.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

congrats Dawn--
    it was the best feeling to come home from the rehab!! Enjoy the comforts of home! The 'big' front/side incision hurts for quite a while...for me, mine went up to under my left underarm & that was extremely tender for weeks....
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
    fusion T-11 to L-5/Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYCity
    thorocolumbar curve of 95% corrected in the 50's

Comment

Dawn,

I'm so glad that you're on your way home tomorrow. You must be very excited. And it's incredibly comforting to know that even this early you have no regrets. Especially since it seems like you had a pretty major double surgery. That helps make me feel a bit better about my own. I hope your first day home is a wonderful one!
      32 y/o male
      S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
      Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Can't sleep cause I am so excited. Lynne hang in because you have been an inspiration. I was lucky because they didn't have to take a rib but my front incision is the most tender. It is almost time for meds so I hope I can sleep. My biggest concern is my big puppy. He is 100 lbs and a mommas boy. He is a Rottie and they are supposed to be very intuitive breeds so I hope he will be under control. Talk to you all soon
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Not going home until 4 so it is going to be a looooong afternoon. This forum has been such a blessing. It has been a long time in the hospital, longer than originally anticipated but I am just so grateful that the pain down my right leg is gone. My front incision is the sorest part right now but that is improving. Love you all.
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

Best of luck Dawn for a great recovery once you are home. I can only imagine how anxious you are to get out of there! Keep us posted on your recovery.

~Jamie

Comment

Way to go Dawn!! Keep up the good work and enjoy walking on that pain-free leg!!
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Dawn,

Welcome home!!! It's great to hear that you're doing so well!!!

I had the same fears about my dogs. My biggest fear was that they would be so happy to see me that they would hurt me in their exictement. One being a Newfoundland and the other an American Eskimo, both mommy's boys. I found it true that they were both very aware that there was something wrong with me. But I was still cautious.

Again Welcome Home!!!
                Shari

Comment

Oh Dawn welcome home. I am so very glad that it is all over for you. I reckon your rottie will just sense that mummy is sick and he will be careful with you. My little ummmm big one does, and he is a cross between a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a staffordshire terrier. Animals are so sensitive.

It has been so good to get a running commentory about how you have been going. I really and truly wish you good, happy ,welcome home times.

Macky
                  Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                  Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Sorry I havent posted lately. Bi adjustment coming home. Biggest problem is that I cant find anywhere comfy during the day. I also cry at the drop of the hat. I am still so glad to be home. Pain is still pretty bad from time to time but I am trying to stay positive in between my crying outburst. On a funny note the bed I am most comfortable in is my sons and I never allowed him to have a tv in his romm. Well I am going back to bed will write more when I am up to it. Also puppy has been doing pretty well
                    surgery 9/06
                    Rothman institute

Comment

Welcome back home!!

Dawney,

Try not to get discouraged, I too cried at a drop of the hat. I think its all the pain meds.. it will go away. Remember to rest alot. I bet it feels good to be home!! You are doing so great, and to be able to get on a computer so soon!!! Take care of yourself!
                      Angela
                      29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Hi Dawn,

Just know that we are all thinking about you, and you post when you feel up too it. Our dogs always seem to have a sense about our present diabilties. I think even more so than the people around us!!! I could tell some incrediable stories regarding my loving dogs behavior after my surgery.

I too had a comfort issues!!! Don't give up, fight for what you want to make you comfortable, it's important!!! And never feel guilty for needing a box of tissues. There were times that I cried for hours at a time for no apparent reason to anyone but me!!! Not that I actually knew the reason, it just happened.

Just trying to let you know that you are not alone!!!!

Shari

Comment

Dawn -

I am so happy for you. You have accomplished so much and have come so far. I hope the rest of your time there flies by.

Take care of you.
                          Brandi
                          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                          L1-S1
                          Dr. William Lauerman
                          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

O.K. I'm a dork. I see you are already home. I have been away from the forum for a little while and am trying to catch up on what I've missed.
                            Brandi
                            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                            L1-S1
                            Dr. William Lauerman
                            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Dawney,
                              You've probably already said this somewhere, but can you tell me how far from home you were to have your surgery and what kind of rehab you were in and for how long before you got to go home? I'll be far from home and will have to deal with the same thing, so I'm trying to plan. Did your insurance cover the rehab too?
                              How's being home now? Hope all is doing good for you. Time really heals, so be patient and take it easy! I had open heart (mital valve repair) a year and a half ago, and it's so amazing how time goes by and with it the pain and discomfort.
                              Hope to hear, berta
                              Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Working...
                              X