stapling ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stapling ??

Has anybody had the stapling done instead of fusion, if so how old and what were the curves, thinking this is a better option for by daughter than rods not sure if anybody in our area does this or not. Chicago, IL
    She has an s curve was 36 upper and 34 lower in July this month x-ray showed 40 upper and 40 lower. Currently she's been braced for 3 weeks and hates it, fight all the time about wearing it. Please let me know if anybody had the stapling done.

Thanks
    Nancy
    Kelly 12 years old (cheerleading and tumbling)

Hi Nancy...

In addition to any responses you get here, you may also wish to do a search (see link above), as there have been other discussions.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Welcome Nancy,

You will see from my signature and posts that my son had the stapling. There are others as well - Kathleen's daughter, Hannah, is also 12, I believe, and had the stapling done in July. My son (and a few others) had it done at a younger age. It is GENERALLY for kids who still have some growth left and who have moderate curves (between about 20 - 40 degrees).

There are other things taken into consideration, of course and it's not for everybody - but these are the general criteria.

Most staplings have been done at Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia. Kathleen travelled from Louisiana and others have come from as far as Texas, etc. because in the past it has often not been available outside of the Philadelphia Hospital (which by the way is excellent and where I would go if it were my child).

However, please do some research. There was recently an article posted here (which I also posted on Spinekids - you should check that site out as well - your daughter may even want to go on) that mentioned the stapling being done in St. Louis I think - and it may have started to be performed at Shriners Hospital in Chicago but I can't say for sure.

What I do know is that since the stapling has been used for about 5 or 6 years now (with a success rate equal to or better than bracing - Kathleen did a lot of research on this and has the exact stats) more and more orthos are coming on board and getting the proper training on this so they can offer many patients an additional option - often because the patient, as is the case with your daughter, does not want to wear a brace. (I have a teenage daughter too, so I understand what you must be going through.)

As I said, not everyone is a candidate for the stapling. If you look up "vertebral stapling" on the internet you should come up with enough to know if you want to look into it - either in PHiladelphia or closer to home.

If you want to e-mail me, my address is mariaf305@yahoo.com. I'm sure Kathleen won't mind if you email her too.

Good luck - and I hope some of this info helps,
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi There,

We took our 12-year old daughter to Shriner's in Phila to see if she was a candidate. She has 2 curves of 40. She was not a candidate because of her age and size of her curves. If she were much younger with those curves, perhaps it could have been a consideration. She had also just had her first period.
        If you are really interested, I would act sooner rather than later to get her seen there.

Melissa
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Working...
        X