Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here with scoliosis AND arthritis??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here with scoliosis AND arthritis??

I was wondering if any of my middle-aged post-op friends had to deal with arthritis issues as you were healing. I have mild arthritis in my joints -- hips and knees especially, and of course in my spine. This morning as I was stumbling and staggering out of bed , I couldn't help wondering how in the world I would manage to move AT ALL after surgery when I'm already pretty compromised on a good day! Once I'm up and about, I'm good to go..but getting started is tough...

thanks....
    Chris (the worrywart)
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I do have arthritiis although not middle aged hahah. The docs didnt really say anything about it that I can remember.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Chris--unfortunately, the surgery can't take away our arthritis pain....Right now I can't tell arthritic pain from surgery pain but time will tell. I know I just physically feel a lot better since the operation...
      I can tell you that my knees are getting a major work out since that's the only way I can bend! Ly

Comment

Hi Chris.

You are right, the after-surgery pain is dull, achey and stiff just like the pre-surgery arthritis pain. Makes it hard to tell, except that you know the new places have to be from the surgery. I was on celebrex until 2 weeks before surgery; that's out now and tylenol never did anything to help arthritis. I have it in my neck, lumbar spine, and sacro-iliac joints. But the surgery and straightness are worth it.

Mornings are VERY SLOW moving! I rarely go anywhere before noon. Then in the evening I need to rest again. Things are getting better, just slowly.

Deb
        age 47
        posterior surgery 7/24/06
        for T70,L76
        30 degree correction
        DON'T WAIT!!

Comment

I have arthritis as well in my hips and I can definitely tell the difference between post surgery pain and that.
          It's a totally different kind of pain and like the poster above me, Tylenol never helped with it before and it's most certainly not helping me now.

I knew that surgery wouldn't take that pain away. I knew that surgery was not a guarantee of all pain relief but it was a risk I had to take.
          For the most part, I feel much better than I did pre-surgery but still have my off days.
          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
          Curve post op = 20 degrees
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I have scoliosis and arthritis. I don't know where my new pain is coming from. I know the pain meds just about get me through the day and by the end I am crabby and teary eyed. I had my surgery 1 year ago.

Celeste

Comment

Thanks for replies....

Celeste, sorry you're still having so much pain. What does your surgeon think about it?
              Chris

Comment

Chris, if I may ask, how old are you? I am 50, and am 1 year postop from scoliosis revision surgery. All I know is that because I have not been able to bend at the waist for so long it seems my knees are almost shot. I wonder if knee replacements are greater in scoliosis surgery patients. I know I have osteoarthritis in my knees.

Comment

Hi Judy, I'm 51. I was doing great til I hit 50, then started to fall apart as my curve began to progress dramatically. I'm very worried about having to bend at the knees because my knees are already a bit iffy. That's an excellent point about a higher incidence of knee-replacement surgery among people with fusions....I wonder!!
                  Chris

Comment

Grabbers

They can help instead of always bending at the knees, for picking up certain things(not everything I know).

I know it's not fun being in pain, but bending is so overrated
                    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                    X