Massage Chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massage Chairs

Does anyone use or know of a pain relieving massage chair they reccommend for Scoliosis Pain?

I went to Furnitureland South one day...got in one of those expensive massage chairs that feels like rollers going up and down your spine. It also had a calf massager on it. I thought it was pretty nice and even contemplated purchasing. Hours later I was in so much pain! Never again!

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

Massage Chairs

Concerning the massage chairs,I have never gotten much relief from massage of any type and am wondering if it is because of our muscles etc.being so set. I tried having massage therapy once and got in so much pain afterwards that I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I asked the therapist if I was supposed to feel this way and the reply was that I probably had a lot of "gunk" in my muscles to be worked out. I have never tried it again as I am afraid it will affect me the same way.

regards,
      Regina

Comment

I had exactly the same experience with the massage chairs. I was just so clever sitting in one of the more expensive ones in a retail store, thought I was just it and a bit. Then a few hours later the pain was terrible.

I have to admit that I got a bit of a giggle when I read that I wasnt the only one. I dont mean I laughed at your pain, just that we had the same response.

Macky
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

More Pain

For some reason I have found this experience very painful. Since I have Kyphosis and all these chairs have rollers, in my case it hurt more than it gave me any comfort

Comment

Originally posted by Regina Brown
            I asked the therapist if I was supposed to feel this way and the reply was that I probably had a lot of "gunk" in my muscles to be worked out. I have never tried it again as I am afraid it will affect me the same way.

regards,
            Regina
            Oh bull! There are different techniques with massage therapy... some are gentler than others... Gunk, please... it's not gunk when the frame work the muslces are on are off to begin with! lol.
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Massage chairs

My chiropractor has massage tables with rollers, and it depends on how I lie on them--if the rollers hit too many of the bones that stick out, that hurts. And as far as massage by a human, I've had good and bad--shop around for one that is gentle where you need it and stronger where you need that.
              2L8 2B STR8

Comment

massage chairs & massage therapists...

I have had scoliosis surgery... I know this is a thread for non-surgical. Pre-op I went to a massage therapist that said they could fix my back, and take the curvature out of my spine. I was very naive and believed him, and got my hopes all up and then ended up needing surgery. Even recently I went for a massage on my wedding day and the massage therapist said she could make my hump go away, with some crazy massage voo-doo.

I guess the thing is to find someone you trust, and are comfortable with. I lived in Nova Scotia (Canada) for a couple years during university and found an amazing massage therapist that wasn't trying to fix me, just help with the muscle & joint pain I was experiencing. Since coming back to Alberta (mid west Canada) I have been to a few therapists that were alright but NOTHING compared to the girl I went to in NS.

As for massage chairs, usually they are too rough for me. I recently bought an iJoy Turbo 2 massage chair for my husband as his wedding present. It comes with a softening pad which really helps for my rib hump & other protruding parts of my back. He has ankylosing spondylitis - a type of arthritis that is a build of scar tissue & calcification of the joints - and he says it's done wonders.

So.. that's my 2 cents!

lisanicole
                23/f/Canada
                80 degree thoracic curve down to 19
                Nov. 10, 2000
                L5 - T1
                lisanicolegrace
                29/F/Canada
                Surgery - 11/10/2000
                80° curve to 19° post op.
                www.lisanicolegrace.com
                @lisanicolegrace