what can you sit in after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can you sit in after surgery?

im wondering since i only have 2 couches in my living room if ill be able to lay on them after surgery?will i have to put a chair in there instead?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi Trudy...

I was not comfortable on a coach for a long time. Straight backed chairc with arms were the easiest for me.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Couches are too low

Dear Trudy,

Hi--Yes, most couches make you crouch way too low to get down or up from after your spinal fusion. At 8 weeks post-op, I still prefer not to sit on our couch. My favorite is the padded office chair with arms which adjusts as high up as you want. A firm wood chair with pads is also good. Some people like recliners but I couldn't get out of mine without help; too low.

Deb
      posterior surgery 7/24/06

Comment

gayle- I still avoid the couch in my family room since it is not very firm & I will end up getting stuck in it! The other piece, which is a love seat is firmer & I can manage on if I have several pillows behind me! I put a snack tray there since it's the most comfortable spot for me to eat dinner.. sometimes I'm ok at the kitchen table as long as I have a pillow behind me...also make sure you have a nice soft good size pillow....think I bought mine a while back at Pier one Imports... I even take one behind me when I drive & I most certainly took it with me into my first post-op surgeon's appmt, at 41/2 wks...
        ....it helps...Ly
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        fused T-11 to L-5..Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYC
        95 thorocolumbar curve reduced into 50"s
        85 kyphosis reduce to ? ..hump is gone!

Comment

I couldn't live without my recliner.
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

what about a rocking chair with padding in it?thats about all i have to sit in besides the couch.
            Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

I bought recliners for the first time and now for this last time I hated the recliners and only like good slightly padded chairs or office chairs with a pillow of course. The ones with arms are even better, they take a lot of pressure off the shoulders/thoracic spine.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Gayle

I move from one place to another all day. When I first came home my recliner felt great. Then my brace started bothering me when I sat on that chair. My physical therapist helped me arrange pillows on the couch so that I can lay down to watch tv. For sitting I am most comfortable in my computer chair that has arms and has adjustable height.

Sandy
                [SIZE=3]Sandy B
                Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
                Dr. William A. Lauerman
                Georgetown University Medical Center[
                /SIZE]

Comment

Hi Trudy,

I went through different stages of where I was comfortable for the first few months. If I wanted to lay down, it was in my bed, the couch was not working. The recliner worked for a while, but I hated the fact that I needed help to get out of it.

For me it was a combination of trial and error, and a husband that got tired of moving furniture very quickly. I found that my computer chair was best for me, with the right pillow of course, and it had wheels so I could move it.

Sitting straight up and having padding on the seat and back worked best for me. But I had the brace on. I think it's important that you find a way to make yourself as comfortable as possible. I had pillows everywhere.

Shari

Comment

I havent found anything yet but I think it will be a hard chair as opposed to a nice comfy one.
                    surgery 9/06
                    Rothman institute

Comment

I found this to be heavenly.... http://www.sitincomfort.com/zegrbosupisy.html

Its a combination of 3 firm foam wedges that zip together or can be used separately. I used it on the sofa to watch tv and in my bed to read... sometimes it felt good just to use the one under my knees with the rest of me flat. I still use the smallest of the three for a between-the-knees pillow at night when i sleep on my side.

As far as sitting upright, i agree that you should find a chair with as much height as possible and one with arms to help yourself maneuver. The recliner was not good for me because i could not get my feet under myself when i wanted to stand... i always had to have help standing from it.

Comment

I could not lay comfortably on the couch for quite a while after my surgery--it was too soft and too low. Like many others, I needed firm support from a chair and used a pillow behind my back when sitting. I sat in a recliner often but had a pillow behind my back, and I am just now able to lay back and recline in it after one year postop. I think I did too much sitting and not enough laying down initially after the surgery--I would often get neck and shoulder pain probably because when sitting I held my head forward a bit. My most comfortable place postop for the first month or so was laying on my comfy bed--I watched a lot of TV and movies. I found that I was quite restless for the first month or so and had to get up and walk a bit, change chairs, etc.

Comment

I finally found a way to lay on the couch and I think that I am Sending Eric out for a body pillow because I think that might help more
                          surgery 9/06
                          Rothman institute

Comment

I got stuck in comfy-low couch in a furniture store last week & could'nt get out...thank god, my girlfriend was there to pull me out...! I tend to look around for places to plop down for a few minutes.........Ly--2 mths post-op

Comment

Working...
                            X