Disappointed--No PT till 3 months post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed--No PT till 3 months post-op

Went to my 8 weeks post-op check-up with the surgeon today. My x-rays look good. I told him about the sharp pain around the sacro-iliac joint that is interfereing with my walking, sitting, standing comfortably. It feels like that leg is also being pinched. He couldn't see anything in the x-ray to explain it. I asked about physical therapy and he thought it was too early yet, wants me to wait another 4 weeks.

So I am hoping that another month will help this heal up; I can barely walk. Had to borrow a wheelchair to go to my daughter's high school open house. The demerol does not touch the pain. Did anyone else have something like this after surgery that was resolved through time or PT?

Deb
    age 47
    posterior surgery 7/24/06
    was T70,L76
    30 degree correction

Deb--- Maybe they don't want you doing P.T. until all is healed?? I have started 2 times a week. As you know, when I was in the Rehab after surgery, I did light P.T. there too, so I've been doing it for a while but nothing too strenous except I feel somewhat achey in the leg muscles that have'nt been worked!!! Ly
    ps... I have a bit of numbness(very small amt) in my left upper thigh & sometimes when I walk for a while that's the leg that seems weaker...
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 09-20-2006, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Deb-

My surgeon still has not released me for PT- said to wait until four months or so. I am also experiencing some of the same probs- I am having an EMG next Thurs to see where it is coming from- I'll let you know what they tell me. Here's hoping time will take care of these probs.
      Angela
      29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Thanks Makayla's Mom

Dear Angela,

Sorry to hear that you are having similar problems. I will wait to hear what they find out on your EMG test next week. The dr. told me it wasn't unusual to have this after surgery, so hopefully it is a temporary healing thing.

Deb

Comment

Hi Deb and Angela,

My home visiting PT lasted only 3 weeks, the first visit was checking my blood pressure, he watched me walk and was concerned about the swelling in my legs and if I had any near fall experiences. The 2nd week he came, the swelling was down, checked my blood pressure, watched me walk and that was it. The 3rd visit he said there was nothing he could do for me at that time. Never saw him again.

My doctor didn't even consider PT until I was out of my brace. Any pains I had told him about, his reply was "it's too early too tell". Just be patient, and I know it's hard, but we all heal so differently that I truly believe that they don't really know from one patient to another, how our recovery will be treated.

Don't get down because other people are already in PT. I think it depends on the length of your fusion and the different procedures we have gone through. And by now we all know they are different.

At first I was a little embarrased that I needed a wheelchair to do things that required a lot of walking. But it got easier to deal with, because I was a least getting out.

Shari

Comment

leg issues and PT at about 3 months

Hi all !
            I had some weird and painfull leg and hip issues that i dealt with untill about my 2nd week in PT. ( which i did not start untill 3 months post op,per my DR.)
            I am not sure if it was the sacro part ( i am not even sure what that is ) anyway, i had difficulty walking not only because of pain in my connecter piece ( where my leg and body meet ) but it seemed like it was not working properly as well. Sometimes i could not get it up the stairs and i was a mess. Not to mention no pain meds helped either. My dr. did not seem to concerned but i sure was. Then what i want to call a miracle occured at therapy. I had been going for about a week or two just having hot packs and massages on my back and buttocks ( the left side,surgery side was real sore back there ??? ) and i had been doing alot of leg/hip/thigh strecthes and strengthening. And then my PT was on vacation and i had someone else who did not follow my chart and just talked to me and did her own thing. AMAZING!!!! Let me tell you, i was like cured that day. Even though my hip and thigh and connector piece were SOOOOOO sore and hurt,kinda like a healing bruise, she pushed on it massaged it kinda rough and and did like pressure stuff while she lifted my leg and held it certain ways and basically killed me ( seriously i think i really cried tears, it hurt....but kinda good) anyway she said i would be sore after and since i was to see her again the next day, one she did not care, and two she was gonna do it again. From the minute i stood up it was clear..something great just happened. I even stood right up STRAIGHT. Which that never happens either. She had me lay back down and she felt my hips ( which she had done in the begining ) and she said i was aligned a little better. She was sooooo right. She did it again the next day and i can't thank her enough. It made a world of difference.If she hadn't done that i would still be that way.( pain,leg/hip area not working)I go tomorrow and im gonna ask if it is that sarco part.To think she could have done that sooner. Oh well! On another note,my leg and foot are still really hot,and my side and half my stomach are still a little numb.But she has plans for that also. Even though i had to wait three months before i coud start PT and i am sooo glad i go now. ( 3 x's a week and LOVE IT!!!! )
            Stephanie
            Last edited by fitiani33; 10-04-2006, 02:22 PM.
            Stephanie
            T11 to L3
            1 rib removed
            June 5, 2006

Comment

Grand Rapids

By the way, if all else fails i just noticed you are in Grand Rapids. I am near Detroit but my PT is in Southfield, Mi. May be worth in a few months.

Stephanie
              Lumbar fusion T11 to L3
              June 5th 2006
              Stephanie
              T11 to L3
              1 rib removed
              June 5, 2006

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks so much for your encouraging story. It sounds like your situation is (was) very similar to mine as it is the (connector piece) as you call it where all the pain is between my spine and my leg/hip area. It was so bad last night I could hardly sleep and had to put ice on it to numb it. I hate to even walk and put weight on the leg and feel like a cripple.

So glad that you got hooked up with a good therapist who was able to help you. Possibly something was misaligned or maybe spasming and she was able to work it out. I really think that once I get in PT at 3 months it will work things out and get me going again. I see my surgeon again Oct. 25 and should be referred after that. It's just an endurance game until then. I try to keep busy and not focus on myself, but it is difficult when your pain is an 8 or 9 at times even with medicine.

If the therapists don't help, I'll keep the one in Southfield in mind.
                Thanks,

Shari,
                I appreciate your understanding and encouragement that things will get better. It does help to know that others have been through this in their recovery and gotten better.

I don't mind using the wheelchair but it seems to bother others that I have to use it; especially my kids! Oh, well.

Comment

Working...
                X