Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Um i dnt get it can sumone help me plse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um i dnt get it can sumone help me plse!

Hi im 16 n i wear a boston brace and i really dont understand why some people get 2 wear it for 16 hrs a day and other people (like me) are stuck with wearing it 23 hours a day. Wen i take my brace off 2 have a shower or something my back seems totalli straight now its worked relli well. Do u think next time i go 2 see my orthotist he will reduce my hours of wearing it?? Ive heard sum people onli hav 2 wear them in bed aswell? Im very confused so plse help!

how long have you been wearing you brace for? i have to wear my TLSO for 23 hours a day as well.
    35T 54L rotation
    3rd TLSO brace
    shoe lift
    trunk shift,pelvic shift
    waiting for surgery!

Comment

Greetings faerieprincess,

Medical doctors look at several things when treating a patient. Good doctors will look at the most current research and treatment plans for a disorder. They will also consult with other medical doctors. Some doctors are more conservative with their treatment than other doctors. Every patient is different even if the curvatures for the thoracic spine and lumbar spine are the same measurement. Even though you have to wear your brace for 23 hours a day at least you know that your spine will stay straight all day long. Hope that answer helps some.

Moxie
      Moxie
      Mom to Beth, 12 years old. On diagnosis: T-32, S-28; T-23 with boston brace. Initially, Beth was diagnosed with a grade 2 spondylethesis. Now--spondylethesis is repaired; she rehabbing it. God has her in His hands. And, she's a GREAT kid.
      [/FONT]

Comment

Hi fairie princess. Everyone is different, and honestly the best thing you can do is to take notice of your doctor and do what he thinks it is right for you. It must be a drag wearing it 23 hours a day, but sweety in the longer scheme of things you will be glad that you did.

By that I mean when you look back on this time you will be pleased with yourself and for persevering.

Macky
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

hours in brace

hey faerieprincess- be strong & do your best. my daughter was braced in sixth grade w/ S curve thoracic measured 25* then, she wore her brace for,16hrs perscribed time, slept in it & made up other hrs @ home. taken out of brace in 9th grade because she had progressed to 40*& 30*. 2nd opinion also said no brace @ this point, she was almost done growing. now in 10th grade & her spine has a mind of its own. she now measures 55* & 45*. surgery is scheduled for oct. 17th. we have to deal w/ the cards we are dealt. im so sorry 4 anyone who has scoli on their plate. longislandmom thinking of u

Comment

thank evrione 4 the helpful comments, im relli trying hard 2 wear it for the full 23 hrs. Hopefulli this will work and i wont have 2 have surgery! Btw good luck to your daughter longislandmum n hope the surgery goes well n 2 evrione else that has 2 have that done. Ive been wearing my brace for just ova 4 months, i know this dosnt sound very long compared 2 other people with scoliosis, however i onli noticed it when i waz 15, my orthotist said my spine waz unusually flexable for a person of my age so suggested bracing. Im not sure how long i can have this thou as once i hav stopped developing the brace isnt going to help much.
            Last edited by faerieprincess; 09-19-2006, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Hey

My doc said that the hours depend on how old u are, how many years you have left in growing, and how bad your back is. I'm also stuck with 23-23 hours, but i do not wear that much anymore(shhhh) i guess im just sick of it now after a year of braces, i'm going to wear my new one more i think
              Mák Veronika
              14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
              40T
              54L
              +rotation
              Boston Brace since December 2005
              Location in Florida

I play flute.
              I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

faerieprincess your issue sounds alot like mine: my spine was so flexible that i had to wear my brace all the time. when i started "weaning" myself out of it , my spine got worse.. i know its hard but stick to it!
                8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

well for me i only have to wear my back brace at night! the reason for me is that my back isn't that bad that i have to wera the brace all day! i'm sure that if my back got any worse that i would have to wear the brace longer! but since mine isn't that bad i only have to wear it at night because during the night is when u grow. so to stop my back from getting worse i only wear it at night! do u get wat i'm saying or am i confusing?!
                  Hey i'm Nicole,
                  i'm 16, i like to write stories
                  and poems.
                  I never come on here so...
                  peace

Comment

Working...
                  X