Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a kind of silly question..but it'd be nice to know..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a kind of silly question..but it'd be nice to know..

For post-op girls: Did you get your hair cut/colored at a salon & how early on after surgery?? I'm going on 7 weeks... I know this is not the most important thing thru all this by any means..but honestly I would soooo like my hair colored & (will need it) by oct/nov...& that's pushing it! I'm sure I can go & get a cut where they just spitz my hair to get it wet but I would think for coloring to rinse you, they have to lean you back-right??? any suggestions????????or should I just go white--ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Ly
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Lynne -

I colored my hair at home last week. I did not go to the salon because I was afraid I would be uncomfortable in the chair. I don't know if you ever color your own hair, but it was super easy and I was able to rinse in the shower. Before surgery, I had my hair professionally colored and highlighted on a regular basis. I didn't think I was ready for the salon just yet.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Hi Lynn,

It's so funny that you wrote about this subject. I keep my hair colored, also, and did it just before the surgery. This Sunday on our way home from services, my 21 year old son told me that I was going gray and needed to re-color my hair!! Thanks a lot, son!! Actually, he's great, but likes to pick at his mom sometimes.

My hair really hadn't been a high priority lately, if you know what I mean! Plus, like you, I wasn't sure how I would be able to get it done. Didn't think that I would be able to bend over to the washbowls at the salon or lean forward into the sink at home to rinse out the dye. After thinking about it, I did just what Brandi did and colored it myself with a kit at home, then stood up in the shower to rinse it out. I was a little worried about the chemicals going down my back that they might irritate the skin, but just washed off good with soap afterwards and I was fine. The hair color came out fine.

But you weren't fused up as high as I was, Lynn, maybe you would be able to lean backwards enough for the bowl. Just try it while sitting in a chair to see how far you can go (carefully). Take care,

Deb

Comment

thks for the advice..........

deb,brandi---thks...I know it's not the most important thg in the world, but I would like to be able to have it nice from October on thru the holidays! I think the only way is in the shower...I hate thinking of those chemicals getting all over me but I might just be able to do the roots which would be less hair dye to rinse... I am hoping by Nov/Dec, I might be able to have my hair cutter do it. Hopefully by then, I can lean back-in my brace without bending??? I may check with my surgeon's nurse at that time....Ly

Comment

Hi Lynne...

I think you need to check with Dr. Boachie's office. I suspect that if your fusion goes into the high thoracic or cervical area, they'll tell you to wait a little longer.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lynne, I'm glad you're asking this question because it's of the utmost importance to me !!! Who wants to be recovering from scoliosis surgery AND sprouting gray hair at the same time?? No way!!!
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I plan to get my grey roots covered next week right before my surgery and then for awhile just use the root touch up by Nice n Easy. I have already been using it to extend the length of time between hair-coloring. My hair colorist says it is no problem. That should get me to about 3 months after my surgery I think. Then will have to see how I am after that.

It is a good question that many of us will have!!! Getting our hair looking good will be a good 'picker-upper' for our spirit!

Comment

We must be on the same wavelength!!

I was just trying to figure that one out myself!!!! Thanks for the ideas girls.. I think I will do it at home in the shower....
                Angela
                29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Ok, this is the perfect question for me

Over the years post op I did lean backwards a few times at the salon, but after a while it hurt my neck and thoracic spine and so what I do now is I wash my hair at home and go to the salon with wet hair-or she wets it and cuts it. But Lynne maybe it won't hurt for you since you're not fused as high in the thoracic part, told you that has it's benefits

Now about the hair dye, I rinse it in the shower, but I didn't want to get dye on my scar(for extra caution) so I put a Saran wrap, taped it with that waterproof tape that I got from the nurse(or pharmacy), and even kept my plastic hairdresser cape(mom was a hairdresser) in the shower so none of it would go on the scar, so that way you can do your color now if you want
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

another hair question

I hope you don't mind if I add another hair question to this thread. . . I'm pre-op, not post-op, and I was wondering how much of a pain it is to take care of your hair post-op (in general). I know hair is not nearly your #1 concern, but I've always had long hair and was wondering whether I should chop it before surgery to make it easier to deal with?? If so, I want to grow it long enough to donate to locks of love. My family doesn't like the idea of me cutting my hair, but I want to do whatever will be easiest for me to deal with post-op. Any thoughts?
                    -Anya
                    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Anya....

I personally think long hair is better, at least for some, as it can be braided. Super short hair is also convenient.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Pillow?

Hey Lynne could you take your brace off just for the rinse out/shampoo part of hair color at the salon? I took a big pillow with me not only for the rinse/shampoo part but for the regular chair. It worked great! There is nothing better then getting your hair done for a post-op pick me up. You might think about that as you would only be out of it for a few minutes. Unless, it is too tough to get in and out of........

Comment

Post-op hair care

Dear Anya --ahbarry,

About the hair care post-op, it is difficult the first few weeks to care for your hair by yourself. You can't bend your back or neck or lift your arms up to your head very well or for very long to fuss with it. When you are at the hospital, they will help you brush or clean it when t hey do your daily clean-up care. They have a waterless shampoo that rubs into your hair and just towel dries out, also something else that allows them to wash your hair when you are lying down.

When I came home, my husband washed my hair for me as I sat in a chair in the shower. By 3 or 4 weeks post op, I was able to raise my arms up enough to wash it myself--(although I could comb it before that).

My hair was shoulder length and I had it cut to chin length before surgery for ease of care. Two months later it has almost grown out again. But you don't have to cut your long hair off if you love it and don't want to. Wash it up right before surgery and put into braids, twist, or a bun. The nurses will help you in the hospital with it and your home caregiver can when you're home.

Hope that helps.

Deb

Comment

thkgod for this forum on stuff like this!!!!!

Hi girls---thks again...
                            I think I will also check with Dr. Boachie's nurse when I'm ready to do hair color. She may feel it's ok for me to lean back at the salon in my brace..although it may be a bit uncomfortable! I may be ok since I've been fused T-11 to L-5...
                            Just a note: when I met his nurse, she had a head phone set on & was beseiged by calls..probably from pre-menapausal scoliosis patients like myself calling w/ whacky questions...the poor woman,On second thought-- I think I'll leave her alone & just bring her some biscotti & other treats when I have my appmt in Dec!!!! Of course my hair will be colored by then--gosh!!!!! Ly

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry
                              I hope you don't mind if I add another hair question to this thread. . . I'm pre-op, not post-op, and I was wondering how much of a pain it is to take care of your hair post-op (in general). I know hair is not nearly your #1 concern, but I've always had long hair and was wondering whether I should chop it before surgery to make it easier to deal with?? If so, I want to grow it long enough to donate to locks of love. My family doesn't like the idea of me cutting my hair, but I want to do whatever will be easiest for me to deal with post-op. Any thoughts?
                              -Anya
                              I have long hair, but I had it cut so it can be just a bit longer than my shoulders, that way it was easier to wash and not heavy on my back. I twist it in a bun with a clip. I used the waterless shampoo for the first ten days and then washed it myself in the shower.
                              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                              X