Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My surgery is around the corner...

Hi All,

I'm new to posting. I've been reading all the posts for several months now and as time nears (Sept 22), I'm definitely getting more and more nervous. I'm really glad I was turned on to this, as this has helped me in many ways.

I took the time last Friday to watch the live operation out of Akron Ohio and I can honestly say, that it was interesting to me. ...but I like that kind of stuff! It was neat to see how technology has come a long way...scary that it's going to be happening to me. I know that I have a great doctor and the love and support of my family.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm being fused from T-4 to L4/5 and I have a 40/51 degree "S" curve.

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!

I have not had surgery and am currently doing a lot of research on my options and risks for the future. I always like to ask people with similar curves as me why they are having surgery.

What finalized the decision for you to have surgery? How old are you?

Best of luck,
    Jamie

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I'm glad that the forum has helped you and hope you're doing ok as surgery nears. I, like the other person who just posted, would like to know more about your situation. Where are you having the surgery done?

We will be thinking about you as you go into surgery.

Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome -

It is so completely normal to be nervous before an operation of this magnitude. Just educate yourself so that you pretty much know what to expect and ask all the questions you want. We are not doctors, but many of us have had spinal fusions and can offer advice from a personal point of view.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi and Welcome!!! It is normal to be nervous, but if you feel confident in your decision and your surgeon, then you know you're doing the right thing. I'm glad that your family is very supportive as that is a tremendous help. I was 30 at the time of my surgery and was fused T3-L4, so if you have any questions, just let me know...you can PM me if you'd prefer.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.

I will be having the surgery in Ohio at the Cincinnati Spine institute. I'm 31 years old today, and what brought me to this decision is to start a family. Since I have scoliosis I wanted to talk to a surgeon prior to bearing children. The risks of having children are minimal, but in the long run, surgery may help prevent certain other difficulties such as cardiovascular and respiratory problems. Anyway, so here I am...

Brandi & Heidi,

I do have some questions about mobility. I love to Greek dance and I wonder if that would be something I would be able to do in my future. I also love to run - not marathons or anything, but I love the 5k races in my town. Can you each tell me about your mobility...how quick it came back, how restricted you feel, can you wear heels, can you run...etc.

Also, is there anything you suggest I do in preparation for surgery? I'm taking my recommended vitamins, exercising (yoga, although that's tough on my hips) and running.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support !!
            Nickie

Comment

Hi Nharalamos,

The Greek name in my family is Velas, and the dances you will most likely be able to do. It may just take a while. You will have to remember that you will not want to add any added pressure to your spine in the first 2 years. Let it heal!!!

I have had several different opinions from doctor's on the impact of running on a fused spine. Of course, I am not a doctor, but I do know that the Greek dance is possible, but I have been advised, by more than one doctor, that the impact of running is not such a good idea, for me!!! We all have to adjust to what our bodies can handle after our individual surgery experiences.

Shari

Comment

I know that Spinewhine (http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/) has been running post op if that's any help.

I did extra excercise and took vitamins before surgery and I'm sure that it helped my recovery.

Anyway, just wanted to wish you good luck - I don't regret having it done for an instant and I am a bit older than you!
                Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nickie -

First let me say, I know nothing of Greek dancing other than imitating the dancing in the wedding reception scene of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and of course annoying the hell out of my Greek friends with seemingly endless shouting of "Opa" but, I digress.

As far as running goes, as Pips pointed out another member of this forum has done some running post surgery. You are fortunate to be fused to L5 vs. down to your sacrum. My understanding is that this should preserve some mobility. I mostly feel tight in my low spine. It's not what I imagined before surgery. I thought I wouldn't be able to move my hips or something like that. In the beginning it takes some getting used to. You will find that you move and walk at a much slower pace than you did before surgery. I wear heels everyday (there, I said it). I have no problems and I know it's not the conventional thing to do but it doesn't bother me. I guess I started wearing them again in late June. To prepare for surgery, I would suggest staying healthy. Eat right, excercise, get plenty of rest, and enjoy this time before surgery. Do something special just for you. I hope I answered your questions. Feel free to PM me with any others.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I would say that I began to feel fully healed and back to my old self again at the beginning of this past Summer (16 months post op). I'm running up and down the stairs in the house again, running around the backyard with the dog again and I'm able to get on the floor and sit with my legs under me (some people call it perching) and stretch out on the floor to play with the dog to where I'm almost touching my belly to my legs again. I'd say that's all pretty good for the length of my fusion!

I have come to realize that our bodies do compensate for the fusion. We may not be able to move the same was as we did before, but we can move! I haven't really had an opportunity to dance since my surgery, but will be doing some dancing in a few weeks at my college reunion, so I'll let you all know how that goes!

Hope that helps....

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I'm confident in my decision and my Dr. I guess I'm just experiencing some 'normal' anxiety about this upcoming event. I'm working through the whole surgery thing and onto thinking about my recovery. I've spent the past few days taking care of the pre-opp stuff; tests, insurance stuff, eating right, exercising, and enjoying time with my family.

Heidi that's great that you can can move that much I'll be fused just about the same T5 to L4/L5 and I'm imagining terrible things with post-op mobility. It sounds like you're real flexible! Good to hear that - gives me hope.

Pips thanks for the info on Spinewhine and all others who have responded to the running part of my concerns. I will look up her posts and maybe send her a PM.

Thanks again everyone!
                      T minus ( - ) 1 week

Comment

Running and dancing

Hi Nharalamos,

I am intrigued by what Greek dancing is, as I used to dance a lot in my younger years and can tell you that the surgery does affect flexibility but if you heal well you will get back into it but it takes a while and some stiffness does come along with it.

I'm not sure about running, I know as much as I have tried I can't, I just feel heavy but I'm guessing that if someone is running before the surgery they must get back to it more easily after. I know a lot of doctors don't recommend it b/c it does affect the unfused disks but that's a personal decision and risk. I know Meg(Spinewhine) is an athletic person and used to run before but I'm not sure she said she had after, since she's still not 1 year post op-the usual recommended time before doing that type of physical activity. I think she said she walked the 5k run, no running was allowed for her at that time but maybe I misunderstood.

About the heels I imagine if one loves to wear them and is comfy in them then no worries. I don't like wearing them and it hurt my lower back before surgery as well so I never thought of it.

Anyways good luck with surgery, keep in touch.
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                        X