pre-surgery tests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-surgery tests?

I was just wondering what kinds of pre-surgery tests are needed? My surgery is on Oct. 9th and the only appointment I have before the big day is a pre-op on Oct. 4th. If there is a lot of testing required, I don't know how that will fit into one appointment. Does it just depend on the doctor?

Wow! I've had lots of tests. Maybe it is because I am so old!

I had to have a myelogram, a pulmonary, several types of heart tests, blood tests, bone density, a visit with their internist, numerous X-rays both of standing and flexibility, a stress test....these are just off the top of my head.

It took several days....

Comment

Originally posted by dorigirl
      I was just wondering what kinds of pre-surgery tests are needed? My surgery is on Oct. 9th and the only appointment I have before the big day is a pre-op on Oct. 4th. If there is a lot of testing required, I don't know how that will fit into one appointment. Does it just depend on the doctor?
      I'd ask your doctor, but if they only scheduled one day for you, it's probably not a huge list of tests...
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

If I remember correctly- I think I had lots of blood tests, X-Rays, MRI, Echo-Cardiogram, etc. Dont worry- it will be over with before you know it. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery- you will be in my prayers.
        Angela
        29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I had quite a few tests--bone density, echiocardiogram(sp) MRI etc.....it was just about an all day thing for me. I was tired but happy to get all done in one day! Ly
          http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

My pre-op took 3-4 hours, but one hour of that was waiting to get in for the first test and then I spent a lot of time waiting in between tests. I had blood drawn, and Ekg, chest x-rays, met with the anesthesiologist and a nurse. I had an MRI also, but on a separate day.

Comment

Originally posted by HGD24
              My pre-op took 3-4 hours, but one hour of that was waiting to get in for the first test and then I spent a lot of time waiting in between tests. I had blood drawn, and Ekg, chest x-rays, met with the anesthesiologist and a nurse. I had an MRI also, but on a separate day.
              3 - 4 hours! that's a long time! I had the same exact tests done (plus urinalysis) for a pre-op and it took two hours -- the pre-op clinic said they were trying to speed things up.
              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
              2005 - T50, L31
              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Hi Dorigirl,

I think as usual, it depends on the hospital and doctor's. I got to the hospital at 9:AM and didn't leave until 5:30 PM. I think you have to go in with the frame of mind that you have to do what you have to do. We are at their mercy.

It's my opinion, it's a shame that there is not a more uniformed procedure for us, but apparently that is not the norm. Just go in with an open mind and patience. Why some hospitals are more efficent than others, I feel, it is how experienced their attending staff is. What a shame!!!

Shari

Comment

Yes, I was at the hospital for 3-4 hours, but again, 1 hour of that was waiting beyond my scheduled appt. time just to get started and I'd say I spent another 20-30 mins. waiting in between tests so you can knock 1.5 hours off of that total time.

Comment

It also took me all day-from 9am to about 3pm. But here with the public system it's long and even my doctor's appointments are so long, I can have my appointment at 9am and pass at 2pm. Yeah, it takes a lot of patience and pain comes from it afterwards .
                    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

pre op tests

Weird how different we all are. All i had was my xray on my first dr.s visit ( that was done at his office ) and i had an mri on another day and that was it. Not including my blood donations, but i didn't consider that testing.

Stephanie
                      Anterior T11 to L3
                      June 5, 2006
                      Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 rib removed
                      June 5, 2006

Comment

I had to see different Drs and had lots of tests. I had to see a cardiologist, a pulminary Dr, and my GP. I had lots of blood work plus a blood clotting test.
                        I had a MRI and lots of x-rays. I have had so many x-rays its surprising I dont glow. I had an EKG also. But I think that is just ordinary procedure anymore. I think a lot of it has to do with what your Dr thinks or wants done and your age. I was 47 when I had mine done the first time. Good Luck.
                        Mattie

Comment

Working...
                        X