Spine replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spine replacement?

I keep having this hysterical reoccuring dream where I find myself at the surgeon's office holding a big case, kind of like a cello case, and telling the receptionist: "here's my spine." Then the receptionist takes the case and says, "Okay, come back in two weeks for your new spine. In the meantime, since you won't have a spine at all, be very careful." I walk out of there REAL SLOW because I've left my spine at the surgeon's office!!

I actually wake up from this dream (I've had variations of it at least three times) chuckling. If only it were that simple!!!

Whaddaya think -- am I going crazy??

Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Our minds play games don't they! HOpefully one day you'll finish your dream and see how awesome you'll look. Yes, if only it was that simple. Thanks for the smile... LYNN
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

wow, that is weird..lol.. your prob ably just thinking about the upcoming surgery and anxious to see how your spine will look afterwards.that would be great if we could just leave our spine there and come back for it :-)
      Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Reminds me of a Star Trek episode

Dear Chris,

It is normal to have a lot of dreams before surgery or some major event. Everytime I was pregnant I would dream that I was going through labor having the baby so many times that by the time I finally had it, it was a great relief.

But your dream reminded me of a Star Trek Next Generation episode where Wharf the Clingon got paralyzed in an accident and they replaced his whole spine by regenerating a new one for him. This was experiemental technology even for them and at first they didn't think it worked, but his strong Clingon system kicked in and he was able to walk again. Really makes you wonder if someday they will actually clone or generate new body parts like spinal vertebrae, discs, or even whole spines someday!

By the way, recovery after scoliosis surgery is kind of like going home without your (old) spine; you do have to be careful AND go very slowly because you are waiting for your new (straighter) spine to heal up. The process does take a lot longer than 2 weeks, though, darn it!

Deb

Comment

Theres quite a bit of humor on here today! Thats good! We could all use the chuckle!! I had alot of dreams before surgery too- I think its all very normal. Sounds like you are just "gearing up" for your upcoming surgery!
          Angela
          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I think that's hysterical! Maybe life's little way of giving you a break from all the serious stuff. Now...if only I could find a violin case to carry my thighs in...
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I loved all your replies. Somehow I just knew you guys would be able to relate to my twisted little mind!

And Brandi -- yes! Total thigh replacement! -- wouldn't THAT be heaven!
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hmmm... does that mean you're spineless??

Hardy har har, sorry, I couldn't help myself Thats a crazy dream! ... I hope your dreams of a new spine come true soon
                Jen
                24/NY
                Harrington rod placement & fusions
                11/2/94
                60T, 35L

Comment

I sure wish that was all there was to it!! I'm just a little over 2 weeks away from my surgery and scared to death. Keep up the good humor.....it helps.

Comment

Hi Chris,

I think that's a great dream also!!! I think it shows what a positive attitude you have going into this. They say music calms the soul.

And Brandi, you made me laugh too.

Shari

Comment

Chris--I don't think it's unusual to have dreams/nightmares before surgery!!! I had a couple where they dropped my intestines in the operating room....& my mom always asked me the next day on the phone- --'did they pick them up??" & I said "yes" so she said don't worry about it!!!! Seems per my surgeon, they did'nt even move my intestines....
                      My other dream mid-way thru the months of waiting, was me waking up to see my surgeon leaning over me with the white coat on....I guess I was dreaming I was in surgery & I had awaken out of anesthesia. I had that dream many times! I went thru a few months, early on thru the middle of my wait with crazy dreams-- but by the the last few months of waiting, I was fine & had no more....Ly
                      http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                      fused T-11 to L-5--Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYC
                      95 thorocolumbar curve reduced 50's, Kyphosis was 85--hump is gone..

Comment

Working...
                      X