An irksome, but amusing scoliosis story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An irksome, but amusing scoliosis story

Time for some light scoliosis subject matter: Hopefully this will provide some eye-rolling and a chuckle!

I am a graduate student and at the beginning of the semester if I have a new professor I have the privilege (note sarcasm) of having to ask for a comfortable chair to sit on during long seminars. They have those horrible wooden ones that slant backwards and there is a wide gaping hole where back support is supposed to be.

So, I am thankful that my professors take my scoliosis seriously and are willing to accomodate, but today's experience was a new one! I walk into a room rolling my bag (which also gets comments because people don't understand why I can't carry 30 pounds of books) and 20 people turn to look at me. My professor stands up and says, "This is Anya. We're going to give her this chair for the semester because she has special needs!" Not only did I feel the public announcement was unnecessary, but I've never been introduced as a person with "special needs." Quite frankly, I would rather explain scoliosis to increase the awareness!

As I smile (a smile of shock) I now wheel my bag and the chair (which turns out to be crap) past 10+ students and one turns to me and very seriously says, "Oh, do you have a special bottom???"

Wow - what do you say to that? I bite my tongue and say, "No my bottom is fine thank you - I have a 'Special Back.'"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had experiences like this, but I do find it interesting how people deal with others with any sort of disability. I guess I never thought someone would come up with a "bottom problem" when they think of special needs!!
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Hi Anya,

You should of told them to kiss your "bottom problem"!!!

Shari

Comment

Dear Ahbarry,

I have also had this problem sitting in uncomfortable chairs in public places and have learned to bring my own portable cushion for back support with me to put in the chairs provided. There are orthopedic ones available to fit in a variety of chairs; many office workers buy their own and bring them to work to make their chair comfortable enough to stay in for hours.

This professor probably didn't mean to embarrass you, but his comments were very thoughtless and demeaning.

Deb

Comment

Working...
      X