MRI Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI Report

I picked up my MRI reports today. It showed a buldging disc at C5-C6 and a ruptured disc at L4-L5. My Dr was only going to fuse my thoracic spine, (before seeing the report), because that is where the curve is. Does anyone know if fixing the curve will help the herniated discs? I sure hope so.
    jsully
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Hi...

Obviously, you should ask your surgeon for an accurate answer, but I can't imagine that fusing the spine above the herniation would help the herniation.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I saw my DR's PA today. He thinks most of my pain is probabally related to my discs. He thought I should try spinal injections first before having surgery? Has anyone ever tried this before? Also, that I should hold out as long as possible before having any spinal surgery, including scoliosis surgery. I have a 65 degree right thoracic curve and it has progressed from 40 degrees at 16 years old after bracing. I always thought it was better to get this done while younger and healthier. Still have to have a EMG test next month to test my nerves. I think they would rather do surgery on the discs that are herniated, rather than my curve.
      jsully
      36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Herniated disks

I had some before and have some even after surgery, and the doctors think the pressure of the fusion actually made it worse for some, and for some others it has helped. So in reality unless you have surgery you can't know for sure if it would help or not, or make it worse.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Jscully,
          I had 3 plates put in at C5/6/7 this past January. The surgery went very well. I was in the hospital overnight and went home in the morning. I had to wear a removable neck brace for several weeks, taking it off only to shower. That was followed by several weeks of PT. Compared to A/P surgery and being fused from T4-S1 (in 2001), it was a walk in the park. Of course everyone heals differantly, but for me it was well worth it.
          SandyC

Comment

Jscully, I have a herniated disc between L4-L5 and just finished a series of 3 steroid injections to hopefully help with that and avoid a surgery. Unfortunatly I have had no pain relief so far, but I have one more month before a decision is going to be made on what to do next. I have heard that the injections work wonders for some, but not for others. It just depends. Good luck with your disc problems. If you have the injections I hope they help. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Comment

An idea

I think they would rather do surgery on the discs that are herniated, rather than my curve.
              (jsully)

I suggest you deal with the significant curve first using a scoliosis doc. Why? Because your major curve is impacting your neck and lumbar discs by placing an uneven load on them.
              My lumbar and thoracic curves were significntly reduced with the surgery.

If you operate(fusion?/laminectomy/disc removal) now without addressing the major curve what will happen when you correct the major curve??? You may end up with a mess.

I hope the doc you are using is not just an ortho with tunnel vision in one area. A scoliosis doc will focus on the load on the whole spine taking the discs into account also.

Doing the epidural injections may give you good relief in the meantime---buying you some time to make a rational decision.

Interestingly, my neck/upper T-1 to T-4 is the only part of me now not fused-that curve reduced itself with the correction of the rest of my spine. I fortunately have no trouble there at all. I think Pilates helps me avoid that though.
              Last edited by Karen Ocker; 09-12-2006, 07:20 PM.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My DR is the only DR in the area that is in the Scoliosis Research Society.
                I've seen 2 other DR's that are not and said I needed a fusion, before having MRI. I'm not sure what to do now.
                jsully
                36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Again, I am not a doctor, in fact being a nurse, you probably have more medical knowledge than most of us here.
                  I had a herniated disc at L5-S1. They removed it during my surgery and put a cage in it's place. I am only speaking from my own experience. I would recommend that you speak with your surgeon about your specific concerns.

Brandi
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

And another thing...

I forgot to add that I also had a series of epidural steriod injections and a selective nerve root block. Unfortunately they did not work for me. That's when I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would have surgery. These injections work wonders for some people and do little for others. Again, we are all different.
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X