My surgery was a success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My surgery was a success

My surgery on February 17th was a success. The drs were very impressed with how things went. My main curvature was 56 degrees and is now 15 degrees. It truly is amazing at how straight I look! And most importantly, as far as I can tell the pain I had before surgery is gone.

I am still having some pain and discomfort, by they tell me this is too be expected. I can really tell when I move in I way I shouldn't. I'm getting a bit impatient now....as I feel well enough to be wanting to do things, but still can't.

Good luck to all of you!

Angel

Angel,

How was the pain after the surgery after the anesthesia wore off? Would you rate it a 10 like others experienced? How long was the recovery period? Glad to know your surgery was successful.

Lily

Comment

I'd say the pain was pretty bad after right after surgery. I was on morphine, and I could press the button every 8 minutes. The problem was I was very drowsy and all I did was sleep...when I woke up I would be in alot of pain since I hadn't pressed the button. It would then take time to feel relief.

Although, I was in alot of pain I'd say I was too "out of it" to really care. Once I was off morphine, it helped to take the pain meds as often as I could. I would even have the nurses wake me up to take the pain meds. It helped in the long run.

Recovery is going well. The first 2-3 weeks were definitely difficult and it took all the energy I had to be able to get out of bed and sit up for short periods of time.

It has now been 7 weeks since surgery and I still have some pain and discomfort, but not taking any pain medication anymore. I am back to work part-time, and doing pretty well. I'm exhausted, and get impatient as I can't do alot that I want...but I think that is a good sign that I am getting impatient. The first couple weeks after surgery you don't even care about those things...Hope this helps.

Comment

gr8

that's gr8 2 hear ur surgery wuz a success! thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~
        Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
        I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
        My curves were 30 and 31
        I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
        I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
        I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
        I want to meet some new people on this forum!
        Don't be shy...
        Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelP
          I'd say the pain was pretty bad after right after surgery. I was on morphine, and I could press the button every 8 minutes. The problem was I was very drowsy and all I did was sleep...when I woke up I would be in alot of pain since I hadn't pressed the button. It would then take time to feel relief.
          Ah I'm sorry this happened to you. This reminded me of my daughter asking me to wake her to make sure she pushed it. Very important! They should have a nurse come wake you so you can push the PCA button. The basal level didn't seem to cut it for my daughter.

Although, I was in alot of pain I'd say I was too "out of it" to really care. Once I was off morphine, it helped to take the pain meds as often as I could. I would even have the nurses wake me up to take the pain meds. It helped in the long run.
          Yes I came to learn of the importance of staying ahead of the pain. I wish my daughter was too out of it during those first days but unfortunately it seems she was not.

Recovery is going well. The first 2-3 weeks were definitely difficult and it took all the energy I had to be able to get out of bed and sit up for short periods of time.

It has now been 7 weeks since surgery and I still have some pain and discomfort, but not taking any pain medication anymore. I am back to work part-time, and doing pretty well. I'm exhausted, and get impatient as I can't do alot that I want...but I think that is a good sign that I am getting impatient. The first couple weeks after surgery you don't even care about those things...Hope this helps.
          Wow that was great to read of your progress! Relatively quick recovery for an adult on the whole! Just super.

Given your recovery sounds to be among the faster for adults posting on this site, what do you attribute it to? Any guess at all might be helpful.

Pam recovered quickly I think because she went into it is very good physical condition but maybe there's more to it than that.

I just would like to hear any hints you might have given my fused daughter may need revision as an adult and my unfused but braced daughter may need surgery as an adult.

Thanks and congratulations again.

sharon
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Are you taking any pain meds?

My surgery on February 17th was a success. The drs were very impressed with how things went. My main curvature was 56 degrees and is now 15 degrees. It truly is amazing at how straight I look! And most importantly, as far as I can tell the pain I had before surgery is gone.

I am still having some pain and discomfort, by they tell me this is too be expected. I can really tell when I move in I way I shouldn't. I'm getting a bit impatient now....as I feel well enough to be wanting to do things, but still can't.

Good luck to all of you!

Angel

Comment

Hey guys... sparklegirl picked this one up from someone (maybe me) looking at an "oldie" -- this thread was done in 2004. I feel bad that you have spent time and energy and thought trying to help someone who is probably doing all kinds of things these days... Anyway, just thought I'd jump in and put a halt to all that effort going into these helpful responses.

(Although the information is still good for anyone reading up on it now, too.)
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
              X