I think I have Postural kyphosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have Postural kyphosis

Hi all, I am glad I found this forum and I am hoping I can get some advice on what to do. I am 20, male from England and I've been overweight since the age of 12. I was at my heaviest weight when I was 18 years old and I weighed 266 pounds (120KG). I have been cutting down what I eat and I am now 210 pounds (95KG). I am trying to lose another 30 odd pounds within the next year.

When I was 16, my mums friend came round one day and I was sitting at the computer desk. He said to me "look at your back, its all rounded like hunched over" I didnt really take much notice of it, in fact I ignored it because it wasnt a problem for me then. Around that time, I was experiencing a little back pain but again I ignored it and it went away after a few weeks. I lost about 50 pounds since that day but my back is now starting to bother me. I worry about it everyday and I am always looking in the mirror. Some of the t-shirts I wear rise up a little at the back because of my humped back which is really affecting my confidence. I feel so bad

After doing some internet research, I thought my spine was curved and I had kyphosis. I visited the doctor about 2 months ago and he looked at my back. He spent about 15 seconds feeling my spine and he said my spine is perfect and there is nothing wrong with it. He said I dont have kyphosis but because I have a bit of a belly, I tend to lean back a little.

I went home and did more research, I still believe I have kyphosis but not structual kyphosis, I believe I have postural kyphosis because....

- When I lay down flat on my back, the hump dissapears.
    - I expereince NO back pain what so ever
    - Doctor said my spine is fine (and postural kyphosis caused by muscle)
    - For the last 5 years, I spent almost everyday for large amounts of time sitting at my computer, probably slouching so I am certain my posture is bad
    - I have tight hamstrings

HOWEVER no matter what I do to my arms, shoulders, back etc, I can not make my back appear normal in the mirror.

I have been walking for 40 minutes everyday for the last month and for a week now, I have been doing a number of stretches and muscle strengthening techniques for my upper back, shoulders and hamstrings. (I made a word document with all the exerices I do if anyone would like to see) Everytime I sit now, I make sure my back is leaning against the backrest of the chair im sitting in and as straight as I can. I dont slouch anymore.

I have some questions...

1) Will these exercises cure my kyphosis? If so, how long will it take?
    2) Has weight loss made my kyphosis more visible? (I have so much fat on my back, I can feel it and grab it)
    3) Should I revisit my doctor? If so, what should I say? Why didnt my doctor suggest I had postural kyphosis?

Can anyone give me advice? What should I do? Should I continue doing these exercises or are the a waste of time? I can post pictures of my back if necessary.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any help!
    Last edited by timerwolf_uk; 09-10-2006, 03:30 PM.

First off congrats on the weight lose. Went through a similar experience only mine turned out to be a structural kyphosis...70 degree curve. Weighed in at 315 at my peak and now down to 230. I do agree that with extra weight the problem was not visible. Now that there is less of you the curve is more pronounced. If you can imagine your muscles carrying the extra weight, mostly around the midsection, and having to compensate for that you can understand why the curve developed. Of course sitting at the computer for long periods of time does no good either. The muscles along your torso have adapted to the sitting and the extra weight and have shortenend and compressed causing the sloach. Stretching is a very good idea, especially those muscles of your front. Stretch and lengthen those muscles will help you to stand taller and alleviate the curve. Might want to try an inversion table. I use one every other day, helps to decompress your discs and stretch your muscles along your spine. Just be careful, those muscles arent used to the stretching so overdoing it will make you sore. As for as the time to fix...well it took a very long time to develop so will take time to fix.

Keep up the diet and weight lose for sure. In the end though its all about self confidence. If you dwell on the problem it will only get worse mentally. I have had mine for quite some time and have accepted it for what it is. Either I get a metal rod running most of my spine and limit my mobility to next to nothing or deal with the daily pain and visible hump, stretch constantly and enjoy life. Plenty of friends and always have a good time. Hope it all helps!!

Comment

Like DiakosUCF, I have structural/congenital kyphosis - it wasn't detected until 27, and I've had to exercise my way back to a decent body in much the same way you are.
      Everyone really has a different theory on what works best. I think it's just a matter of finding what works best for you. Everyone's body is different, so it might need a different solution to the guy next door.
      For me, the physical therapist put me onto Pilates, which has been an excellent starting point. It starts with the core muscles that hold everything else up, particularly your pelvic floor.
      From there, I've added swimming. I used to hate it with a passion as a younger guy, as I didn't have the strength to do many laps. But it strengthens everything equally and is non-weight-bearing (i.e. my shoulders don't hurt while I'm in the pool! Hurrah!), so I've come to really appreciate it.

But mostly may I just say that you rock for having the initiative and drive to do what you're doing. Starting is half the battle. Keep going and don't stop!

Comment

Originally posted by DiakosUCF
        First off congrats on the weight lose. Went through a similar experience only mine turned out to be a structural kyphosis...70 degree curve. Weighed in at 315 at my peak and now down to 230. I do agree that with extra weight the problem was not visible. Now that there is less of you the curve is more pronounced. If you can imagine your muscles carrying the extra weight, mostly around the midsection, and having to compensate for that you can understand why the curve developed. Of course sitting at the computer for long periods of time does no good either. The muscles along your torso have adapted to the sitting and the extra weight and have shortenend and compressed causing the sloach. Stretching is a very good idea, especially those muscles of your front. Stretch and lengthen those muscles will help you to stand taller and alleviate the curve. Might want to try an inversion table. I use one every other day, helps to decompress your discs and stretch your muscles along your spine. Just be careful, those muscles arent used to the stretching so overdoing it will make you sore. As for as the time to fix...well it took a very long time to develop so will take time to fix.

Keep up the diet and weight lose for sure. In the end though its all about self confidence. If you dwell on the problem it will only get worse mentally. I have had mine for quite some time and have accepted it for what it is. Either I get a metal rod running most of my spine and limit my mobility to next to nothing or deal with the daily pain and visible hump, stretch constantly and enjoy life. Plenty of friends and always have a good time. Hope it all helps!!
        Thanks. Sorry to hear about your structural kyphosis, I am almost certain I have postural kyphosis so I am kind of lucky. Wow you lost a lot of weight, well down also. An inversion table might help but I live at home with my mum and we live in a small house, no way I can have something that big in my home. You said do stretches (especially for your front), can you recommend me any stretches for the front of my body? How will the front help my back? Well I have been stretching my hamstrings and also been doing other stretches but I think most of them aim for the shoulders and arms and a couple aim for the upper back. I can see my shoulders and arms changing, they are more "chiseled" I guess is the word however my back is still very much curved. There is so much fat on my back, could the fat alone cause the curve? Any idea how many months this will take before I see changes?

Yes I still do sit at the computer for a long time but unlike the last few years, I walk daily, I eat better, I try and correct my posture (although I am not sure if my changed posture is actually correct), I stretch and I take a break every hour.

Like DiakosUCF, I have structural/congenital kyphosis - it wasn't detected until 27, and I've had to exercise my way back to a decent body in much the same way you are.
        Everyone really has a different theory on what works best. I think it's just a matter of finding what works best for you. Everyone's body is different, so it might need a different solution to the guy next door.
        For me, the physical therapist put me onto Pilates, which has been an excellent starting point. It starts with the core muscles that hold everything else up, particularly your pelvic floor.
        From there, I've added swimming. I used to hate it with a passion as a younger guy, as I didn't have the strength to do many laps. But it strengthens everything equally and is non-weight-bearing (i.e. my shoulders don't hurt while I'm in the pool! Hurrah!), so I've come to really appreciate it.

But mostly may I just say that you rock for having the initiative and drive to do what you're doing. Starting is half the battle. Keep going and don't stop!
        Hi, I know what I have to do, its just I dont know if the exercises I am doing is making the slightest difference at all. I have heard about Pilates but I dont know anything about it. What is it? Can you give me some advice on this please? I want to use this for my body but all I have is 2 dumbells (11lbs each/5KG), my home and my commitment. I dont fancy going to the gym unless its a last resort and I cant have any big equipment in my tiny house.

Thanks It does bother me and I want to correct myself, I will do anything I can to correct this horrible back of mine.

Comment

GEt a program from physical therapist or trainer

Hi--
          I would encourage both DiaskosUCF and timerwolfUK to see a physical therapist to evaluate them and prescribe a program of stretches and exercises specifically for you and your condition.

As a person who has used physical therapy and exercises for many years to resolve scoliosis problem, I can say that having a pro involved in your program yields much greater results than just going it alone. Not sure how getting therapy works in the UK, but if it's not available to your, a sports physical trainer might be able to get you started as well.

Congrats on the progress and improvements you have made physically already with diet, weight loss, and postural improvements.

Deb
          age 47
          Posterior surgery 7/24/06
          for T70,L76 curves
          40 degree correction

Comment

Thanks Deb, that was going to be my reply, too!
            Pilates is really a heap of different exercises and stretches - a physical therapist will be able to pick out the partilcuar ones that you would need to focus on. Otherwise, you'd be left trying to guess which ones were the best.
            The basic idea behind it is that you use a basic set of core muscles to control your posture. Pilates starts off strengthening those core muscles, which improves your posture and overall strength, and then works on everything else. All you'd ever need to know about it is in the Wikipedia article and its related links.
            But as a basic idea, the main stretches I was started on were to hold your pelvic floor while sitting (i.e. pretend you're holding in an urge to go pee!), and once you'd been doing this for a little while (as it gets easier over time as you practise it), to hold your back as flat as possible against a wall, hold in your pelvic floor and slowly slide down the wall. That I found to be an absolute belter of a stretch - you sure know what's working and what isn't after ten of those!
            But certainly get a physiotherapist's / physical therapist's advice. They'd be able to identify the problem areas a lot better than any of us can over the Internet. And most of them can knock out a pretty good massage, too!

Comment

Working...
            X