Surgeons in NJ/NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeons in NJ/NY

Does anyone know the names of some good surgeons in NJ/NY? I need to have surgery soon and I am interested in learning about some good surgeons.

I highly recommend Dr. Boachie!

Comment

I saw Frank Schwab and from what I read about him, he is recommended. He was very nice and informative. I have only seen him once and I do plan on getting other opinions. If you find out any others in this area (I'm in North Jersey) please let me know!

I tried seeing Boachie and he does not accept my insurance

Jamie

Comment

Hi,

Yes I would really recommend you to see Dr. Lonner in NEw York. I am having surgery with him in less than two weeks and trust him 100%. He is well respected and very known. I had spoken to about 3 of his patients that highly recommended him and if you do some research on him you'll definitely see what I am talking about. He is in on all the latest technology and does specialize only in scoliosis. That is very important to have a doctor that specializes in scoliosis. He also performs surgeries twice a week and sometimes even two surgeries in the same day. So he has a lot of expirience and also he is very knowledgeable. If i can be of any further help, please send me a PM and I can also give you my phone number if you want to call me.

Best wishes to you,

Mariya
        30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
        8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
        3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
        4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
        2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

surgeons

Dr. Boachie performed a miracle on me and Dr. Lonner helped another lady I talked to.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I did alot of research before scheduling surgery and I chose Boachie. (Scheduled for Dec. of this year) I live in Georgia and I believe he is worth the trip!

Comment

Hello,

As I am reading lately I have been noticing a lot of you are choosing to have surgery with Dr. Boachi. Now, I have seen four doctors and two of the four were really well recommended and they were also recommended by Linda Racine who is always posting on this forum. I know that I have chosen a great doctor but was wondering maybe I should have seen Dr. Boachi sicne so many of you chose him as your surgeon. I am sure that it is too late now and I am really feeling comfortable with my doctor but was just wondering what it is about him that all of you have chosen him.

Thanks,

Mariya

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
              2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Mariya,

I think you can be very confident in a surgery by Dr. Lonner. He has outstanding training and reputation, including a fellowship at HSS that would have been under Dr. Boachie. He also continues to publish papers with Dr. Boachie.

Tough choices are presented when your insurance works out better with one doctor vs. another. My wife is having surgery with Dr. Boachie on the 26th and we are lucky because our insurance is excellent, so we didn't need to face a financially based dilemma. I was surprised to find out that some very skilled surgeons take my insurance outright though.

Joe

My wife Jan is having a single stage anterior-posterior fusion on Sept. 26th with Dr. Boachie-Adjei at HSS. She is 57 years old with a 46 degree major lumbar curve that is progressing rapidly. The fusion is likely to be T12-S1.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info. Yeah I guess I was just wondering who is this Dr. Boachie? He seems to also have a very good reputation and I just wish I had an opinion by him also. But then, it is just going to confuse me even more. I know the facts about my scoliosis and the only thing that I am still not confident about is the back pain. My curve is thorocolumbar and it is 42* and the upper curve is compensatory curve at 22*. Therefore my doctor was surprised to learn that I have back pain mostly in the upper back between the shoulder blades. He is not sure that the larger curve is the cause of this pain and does not feel that it will go away after this surgery. That really sucks. I just wish that I had some promising solution to my back pain but I don't. He can't make a connection between the two. SO my reason for having surgery is to stop the progression and still hoping that there is a connection between the curve and the pain i am expiriencing because I never had the pain before the progression. SO what else can it be then? I am having surgery in a week and finally feel at ease. IT was really hard but with the help of so many people on this forum including patients I have spoken to over the phone, it sounds like I have made the right decision!!!

All the best to you and your wife and hope all will go well for her!!!

mariya

Comment

Does anyone know what kind of insurance Dr. Boachie accepts?

Comment

I don't think he is on any insurance plan- I am with Blue Cross and even though he is not on my plan they will pay what they say is "customary" for the surgery--there may be a huge discrepancy and I am concerned I will get a big bill from him afterwards but he is the one I feel is the most qualified for my surgery, so I am going ahead with it. Blue Cross told me to write them an appeal telling them why I felt I must go to him and they may pay for it- I am going to give it a shot!

Comment

Dr. Boachie does not accept insurance assignment. Therefore, if you go to him, you will have out-of-network insurance coverage. You will pay Dr. Boachie, and be reimbursed by your insurance company. You should check with your insurance company to see exactly what that means in your case.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

treacherous-- I had surgery w/ dr Boachie in August & I just had claims that went thru for the operations.........p.m. me if you need info.....
                          I have Aetna ins ppo and so far a lot seems to be covered...we still will have some amounts to pay but hopefully the major hospital costs & operation costs will be covered...believe me, there are many, many bills to be gone thru....not fun......Ly

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                            treacherous-- I had surgery w/ dr Boachie in August & I just had claims that went thru for the operations.........p.m. me if you need info.....
                            I have Aetna ins ppo and so far a lot seems to be covered...we still will have some amounts to pay but hopefully the major hospital costs & operation costs will be covered...believe me, there are many, many bills to be gone thru....not fun......Ly
                            '

Hii, yeah what exactly did you have to do for claims and such.

Comment

Congenital kyphoscoliosis

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 20, after being misdiagnosed and treated for 5 years prior to that. It took another seven and a half years for me to finally have my first surgery, which was Decompression and Discectomy, to try and free my trapped nerves, which didn't work. I had Major Spinal Reconstruction six months later, in June 2003, and have two titanium rods and 13 screws, all the way into my coccyx. I was in a Body Brace for six months after the operation. Then had the Cross Connectors removed two years ago as one of them moved out of place. My spine is now fully fused, and due to the discomfort of the metal work, I am currently waiting to have them removed. But, I ended up with a damaged Radial nerve in my left hand during my last surgery, and I'm left handed, which makes it worse. I live in London UK, and had my surgery at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, in Stanmore.

I had a 43 degree curve, two sets of problems in my spine, as two vertebrae were fused together with my nerve trapped, and the base was damaged, and VERY bad case of sciatica, which almost crippled me. No exercise helped, it just made it worse, £50 an hour with Chiropractors which gave pain relief for half an hour or so then back to hell again. If possible, get in touch with the RNOH hospital, and see if someone can help you.. I wish you all the best, and please feel free to contact me if you need more info. I do feel for you all, as I have been there....and still dealing with it, as the pain does not go away 100%, as they tell you before the surgery. But it was worth it, as I now have a better quality of life than I did up to three and a half years ago, and would advise anyone to persevere until something is done as Scoliosis, and especially nerve pain, is the worst pain for anyone to have to cope with.

Comment

Working...
                              X