Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post-op appmt.....yesterday!

Hi all,
    well I can say I am much relieved to have my first post-op appmt well behind me now! I went yesterday to NYC to see my surgeons & also a Pain Mangement Dr. at HSS. All looks good per my surgeons! They showed me on the x-rays how the Kyphosis was taken care of...amazing! I definitely have no more 'big hump' on my back!
    I do have to say I was a bit down when I saw my standing x-ray because my spine is still an 's' shape but now it looks like when I was a teen-ager. Even though my lumbar is still curved, it is not as major as before & has been fused! I was a very serious case & obviously cannot expect a perfectly straight spine! I am so thankful for what they have been able to do. If you were to see me, you would never know I had scoliosis(unless you examined my spine up close!) I can drive as soon as I feel confident enough! As far as pain killers, I will be on a lower dose of percoset & will wean off in the next months! The Pain Mangement Doctor says I am doing excellent but must still stay on it when I start P.T. next week since you can get very achey from the exercising..... I feel great & gained 2 inches-now 5'6"! I was so hoping for 5'7" but that's minor, I'll just where heels!!!!
    All in all I feel great like a new woman! I have no regrets about having the surgery! I have had no more problems with my digestion since surgery!
    Mine is another success story!!!!!!!
    I will keep in touch with you all & please P.M. me if you have any questions....................Lynne!

Wow, Lynne...good for you! I am so happy to hear everything is on point. I was also a bit surprised to see that my spine was still s-shaped as well. But you know what? It's stable which is somethng I have never experienced before now. I have a question for you. What were your measurements before surgery? What are they now? I get confused because we all post different symbols to represent "degrees". Sometimes you post % signs and I'm not sure if you are saying "percent" or "degrees". Since there is no official degree sympol on a standard keyboard I usually post a *. Anyway, keep up the great work. You are an inspiration to us all!
    Last edited by bbest; 09-08-2006, 09:59 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

the most important thing is that you are balanced....

Hey Brandi--I was kind of confused about the %degrees yesterday... I believe my huge lumbar curve was 95% to start & I thought I was told it was corrected to about42%... then yesterday he measured it at 55, I think?? So I was a bit confused... Maybe they can only estimate the change right after surgery & then do the standing x-rays a month later to verify??? I'm not good on the technical stuff..... My husband says I look fantastic so I won't dwell on degrees at this point!!!! I think we all get to caught up in that degee stuff! I believe it is how balanced we are that is the important thing--right?!
      LY-- ps...Brandi--I'm using % as degrees!!!!
      Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 09-08-2006, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Just wanted to know how many weeks post-op are you and also how you feel about your self right now. I mean do you shower, walk, attend any occasions? basically i am just wondering what are the things that you can do at this point after surgery because my surgery is in less than two weeks and my daughters b-day is 3weeks after my surgery so i wanted to know whether I would be up to doing anything for her? Also my 25th birthday is going to be two months after my surgery and also know that my family is planning to throw a birthday party for me with close family and friends. I wonder if I'll be even able to attend? I know that my mother asked the docor about my birthday and that she wanted to have a small party and he said that I should be fine by then. But I guess it would be best to find out from people who actually had the surgery and know what they feel like. So please if anyone has any suggestions on what to expect I would really appreciate it!!!! You are all so helpful and I know I can always ask something unknown and get so many responses.

Thanks and all the best!!!

Mariya
        30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
        8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
        3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
        4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
        2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Hi Mariya,

I don't think three weeks after surgery you'll be able to actually throw the birthday party(like cook and prepare things for others), more so you'll be able to relax while others take care of things, as you will still probably be tired and recuperating at that point.

To Lynne:

I was surprised to find out that you had such short fusion, but that's great as it must be one of the reasons you're doing so well and it's much better to have less fused especially not in the thoracic part. Good for you, and good for for your doctor that he did such a great job.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Go Lynne! You're giving me lots of courage.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Lynne,

You seem to be doing so well under the circumstance and I thinks that's just wonderful!!! You are an inspiration to anyone in our age range that is contemplating this surgery.

At my 1st post-op visit, I looked at my xrays and said to my doctor, "that's it". It just blurted out of my mouth without thought. I expected to see a straight spine after all that I had just gone through, and to be perfectly honest, I was disappointed at first.

Everytime I was naked I would look in the mirror and see a normal back and without a rib hump, so I guess I assumed my spine was much straighter than it reallly was.

I got over that disappointment very quickly though. It's all about getting the best correction under our individual circumstances and most of all stopping the progression.

I thought I would be taller, but I gained no height at all. I don't know if that is because they removed 5 discs. You are doing so well, we really can't "sweat the small stuff".

Shari

Comment

I too looked at those first x-rays and thought that for all that effort they could have straightened it a bit more! Still no-one would know if they looked at me now. Naked, I can still see the curves, but I just think its a miracle that they will never ever ever get any worse. How wow is that!

Ly - you never put up in the blog how long your fusion is - did they get away with less levels, like they did with me?

Mariya - at 3 weeks post op, I was still in hospital so around that time recovery can be a bit slow. Just make sure you've organised it in advance for someone else to do all the hard work, while you put your feet up. Make the most of your recovery - you won't do it often!
                Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

for Lynne

I was a very serious case & obviously cannot expect a perfectly straight spine!
                  Was that due to presence of Kyphosis or some thing else. By any chance you know what was the measure of your Kyphosis curve pre-Op

Comment

enough curve correction????

The larger the curve to begin with the more probable a residual curve will be left. The older the patient the stiffer the spine also.

That is why, my opinion , it's nuts to let the curves get too large before one decides on surgery on progressing curves.

One has to realize, that with spinal straightening, there are stresses on the spinal cord, spinal nerves, arteries and veins. All these things get shifted/repositioned during surgery while the spine is being straightened.
                    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My daughter's b-day

Hi Lynne, Sweetness 514 and Pips,

Thanks for your responsed regarding the birthday of my daughter. I guess I will need to take it easy and will not do anything crazy. She is going to be four y/o and she attends a daycare where we also celebrated her tihird birthday. We invited a magic show and a Barney character and that was a lot of fun. We also had a professional camera guy taping the entire party and she has been watching her b-day party all year long. SHe loved it so much that even this time she actually asked for the same show and also Barney for her fourth b-day.

This is great because I don't need to do anything except pay the bill which I am sure my hubby will take care of if I can't. Other than that I will let my mom know in advance what we want to do for her birthday and she will be able to take care of it and all I will do is just attend the party. Also they have a pizza and cake all there and we get to go and stay there through out the entire time. It will be though this year because now my youngest jsut started attending the same daycare toda and so it will twice the fun!!

I am so looking forward to her birthday and hopefully I can be there to enjo i with her.

Thanks again!!

Mariya
                      30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                      8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                      3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                      4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                      2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Hi all---
                        Just to update(for PIPS), I was fused T-11 to L-5 instead of what was originally planned:T-2 to sacrum) It was a big difference. That is because my surgeons found they could successfully move the big curve over to where they wanted it. If they could'nt, they would have to fuse up to T-2 & down all the way. Since they got the big curve(95) down to in the 50's, they did not go to plan B.... My spine was very calcified & stiff because I did'nt do well on the bending x-rays & yet my bone density was good which helped the situation...
                        Mariya: I feel great these days around 6 weeks post-op.... but still get tired where after a walk I need to lie down for a bit....so still taking it easy but feel my energy levels coming back.....but by 2 more weeks at 8weeks(2 mths) I think I'll be in good shape so for you, I thk you'll be doing well by then..Ly
                        ps...whoever asked...my kyphosis before the operations was 85%...& it was corrected....amazing to me.........Ly
                        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

It was me...

ps...whoever asked...my kyphosis before the operations was 85%...& it was corrected....amazing to me.........Ly
                          I had asked that question, thanks for answering. Do you by any chance know measure of that curve post-op?

Comment

Thanks Ly - amazing isn't it that we both got away with much shorter fusions than we were told we would have to have. I didn't have kyphosis, but had a huge rotation round to the right - they got rid of that too. We are a lucky couple of ladies I think....

Anyway, don't forget to continue to take it easy for a bit and hugs from over the pond for doing so well....
                            Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                            Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                            http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

O.K. Lynne...you know I think you're great, but you are officially my scoli role model! I thought your curve was kinda like mine (mine was 58*, I thought yours was around 60*). I just re-read your reply to my post and see that it was 95 degrees. Girl, you kick butt (I really mean the other word, but this is a public forum and I must be nice )

Note to everyone on this forum considering surgery....Lynne underwent a huge operation and her doctors achieved excellent correction of her thoracolumbar curve. She is 46 years old. She has 2 young boys. She is AWESOME!!! If she can do it, anyone can.

Brandi
                              Brandi
                              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                              L1-S1
                              Dr. William Lauerman
                              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X