School after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School after surgery?

Hey everyone ! Haven't posted in a while. My computer had some technical difficulties . Anyway, i'm having surgery in November so I just wanted to know how long after surgery am i recommended to stay home or approximately when will i be able to go back to school. Please respond as soon as possible. THANKS!
    Last edited by D-angel; 09-10-2006, 03:57 PM.
    ~Debra~
    55*Thoracic curve-progressing, compensatory lumbar

i havent had a surgury but i asked my doctor that question and he said about 2-3 weeks and i would be back in school.
    Mák Veronika
    14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
    40T
    54L
    +rotation
    Boston Brace since December 2005
    Location in Florida

I play flute.
    I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Im sure it will depend on what you are having done. I know when I had my surgery when I was 14 I had it in July and was ready for school in Sept. Everyone is different but I would probably guess that you be out for at least a month or so if you are having a spinal fusion with rods put in.
      Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
      2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
      March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
      August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
      August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

My daughter returned to school 1/2 days at 4 weeks post-op, but her doctor gave her permission to return at 3 weeks post-op. She would have returned then, but that was the start of Christmas vacation. She was back to school full time at 6 weeks. If you aren't ready that early, don't worry. Remember, some people like my daughter recovery quickly and for others it takes more times. Good luck with your surgery/recovery. Any other questions, just ask.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thoracoplasty longer?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm also having a thoracoplasty done. So will i need to stay out of school longer? Another concern is they don't have lockers at my school, and i believe i won't be allowed to take my backpack or will i ?
          ~Debra~
          55*Thoracic curve-progressing, compensatory lumbar

Comment

Back when I had mine (1975), I was out for 3 months. My daughter had hers at the end of May and went back when school started in early August. It took her a good 6 weeks to get her energy back. She still tires out quickly, however she is very active - taking dance everyday at school! Good luck!
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

my daughter was back to school 1/2 days at three weeks post op, and full time the following week. But, everyone recovers at their own rate, so do what you body tells you to do.

Comment

school post op...

All I have to say is TAKE YOUR TIME. I had my surgery in November of grade twelve (a tough time to have it while everyone else is out celebrating the last year of highschool)... and didn't go back to school until after Christmas break. There is nothing more important that your recovery. You don't want to jeopardize what the surgeons have done by trying to go back too quickly, or being too eager to get back to being as physically active. Your body just went through major surgery, rest lots, and take it easy. You are worth it!

lisanicole
                23/F/Canada
                6 years post op.
                lisanicolegrace
                29/F/Canada
                Surgery - 11/10/2000
                80° curve to 19° post op.
                www.lisanicolegrace.com
                @lisanicolegrace
                facebook
                x-rays
                picture of my back

Comment

My daughter, who is also 14 went back to school after 8 weeks after her surgery. She probably could of gone back at 6 weeks, but her school would not let her go part time. They arranged for a tutor to come twice a week. She had a posterior fusion with a thoracoplasty. She is about 5 months now and doing great. She still has restrictions on weight which is no more than 10 pounds. She has an extra set of books at home and in the classroom. No gym for a year.

Comment

Working...
                  X