1rst day of surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1rst day of surgery

Hello everyone , my name is Eric and I am Dawns boyfriend of 7 years. Today was Dawns first day of surgery and she wanted me to post for her.
    Well to start off the day , we were suppose to be there at 7 A.M. and sure enough we overslept and arrived 1/2 hour late. All was well though because as you might know even with an appointment you still don't go right back. Everyone waits.
    First of all, surgery #1 (anterior) is done and Dawn is doing well. She is in excruciating pain , but she says it was well worth it.
    The surgery started at 9:30 A.M. with the first incision at 10:26.we waited patiently with 2 updates from the medical staff throughout the procedure. Surgery was completed at 3:00 and dawn was sent to the recovery room. The doctor , informed me that the surgery went better than expected especially since Dawn was suppose to have a rib removed , and upon exposure it was determined that the need to remove a rib for placement in her spine was no longer there.
    Dawn's mother , aunt and myself would have to wait 3 hours before we would be allowed to see her. When I saw her she looked much better than I thought she would. First words out of her mouth was that She loved me and she was is so much pain. Right after that the nurse asked us to leave for a moment so she could do her tests on dawn. We left the room , stood right outside the drapes. Dawn screamed so loud in pain , I could no longer hold back the tears and I started to cry ( trying not to let her mother see , or that would have been bad ). After we were allowed in the room again Dawns first words were that the pain in her leg that has plagued her with so much pain for so long , was gone !!!!!! I had to be strong, and not start the tears again but that relief of her pain. Was a dream come true for me.
    I dont want to write a book , or to bore everyone. But Day 1 was a blessing and worth it. Surgery #2 (posterior is scheduled for Friday. I will post again for her on friday after I return home. Take care all .
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Thats so good im glad she had a successful 1st op. All the best for friday aswell. Its good to hear that she's recovering ok. Keep us posted on her second op....

Thanks.. leelee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Erik

I'm new to this thread but am so glad to hear you made it through the half-way point It was great to hear that her leg pain seems to be gone already. God is with you and you have alot of us on these boards praying.....it must have been so awesome to see her wake up and tell you how much she loves you.
      When I woke up from my last surgery in 1998 my first words after "is it over?" was "I'm so glad the Yankees won the World Series"- .I got to watch them win the night before my surgery with my husband. We had been married for 6yrs before that surgery.
      We'll be here waiting to see how day 2 goes. Hang in there
      1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
      1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
      titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
      2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
      2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Eric -

Thank you so much for posting. I am very happy to hear that the first surgery went well. Dawn is lucky to have someone who cares so much for her. Please let her know that we are all thinking about her and wishing her the absolute best. Please keep us updated.

Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you for posting. We will continue to keep her in our prayers. Stay strong!
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

That does it. I'm leaving this forum for good. Surgery is no longer a consideration for me. I will live with my curvature and get on with my life. With so many outstanding medical advances made in just the past five years, there is no reason why anyone should have to come out of surgery screaming and in excruciating pain. As I've stated in earlier posts, this treatment is barbaric!

Good bye all and best wishes to everyone undergoing surgery in the near future.

Chris

Comment

that is so great they didnt have to remove a rib afterall! god is so great, im sure everything will go good on friday as well.
              Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Chris -

I don't know if you will even see this, but I had to chime in.

You obviously have every right to make decisions regarding your own medical care and treatment. While, I don't know why Dawn woke up in excruciating pain I do know that the majority of patients I have spoken with or read about have had positive experiences. I woke up the day after my surgeries absolutely pain free. You are right, with the technology and advances in medicine today, there should be no reason for her to suffer like that. It is possible that the medication she was on was not the best one for her. I was originally put on a morphine PCA. I had some pain and discomfort on the morphine so they switched me to a dilaudid PCA which worked wonderfully.

I can understand how you feel, but to call a spinal fusion barbaric seems to be an emotional reponse and may serve as a disservice to those facing surgery in the near future.

I hope you will have a change of heart and stick around. You have made some valuable contributions to this forum and will be missed.
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Eric,

Thanks for posted- please send her all my prayers for a speedy recovery and bless you for posting!!
                  Angela
                  29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Chris, please check out his post today, please!

Chris WBS,

Before you leave, please read Dawney's boyfriend's post under new thread "Understand her pain". He explains better exactly what was going on with the tests and her pain that upset you.

Neither I, nor most people on this forum, woke up in excruciating pain after our surgery.

Deb

Comment

Excruciating pain

I woke up in excruciating pain for my first surgery, and that partly was b/c the meds- Morphine- didn't do much for me and they had to switch them after a few days. Also, for this last surgery I had an epidural cathetar placed before surgery, don't know if any of you had that but it helps tremendously with the pain, although the numbness in the arms and legs caused me some fears but it went away after a few days. I know a lot of people IRL that had the same experience and have read posts where some people here experienced the same thing, so I don't think I can say that the majority or minority had more or less pain than others-that's something that none of us can know for sure.

I think we're all different, and this is a big surgery, so it's not uncommon to have a lot of pain when it's over. I can't and will not speak for others, we all have different thresholds when it comes to pain, and sometimes it takes more time to get a hold of our pain.

As for Chris, if you think this surgery is barbaric that's your right and I don't have a problem with people's opinions, however un PC they might be. Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do with in the future.

I hope Dawn is doing better, and that they can get her pain under control.
                      Last edited by sweetness514; 09-07-2006, 05:55 PM.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

thks for the update, Eric! I have been thinking of her today while I was at my first post-op appointment! I'm sorry to hear about the pain factor. I would be checking constantly with the nurses to ensure she is on heavy pain killers. I would hope she was on morphine?? Ly

Comment

Eric-just in case you are checking the posts

Eric- I know you are probably by Dawn's side as much as they let you through this but just in case you are checking the boards, I have medication advice. When I had my surgery, the most important thing I learned was to stay ahead of the pain, medication wise.(They did my anterior and posterior surgery in one shot-12hrs). After they took away my morphine pump, they were giving me Percocet and Flexeril. I had to have them change my dosing schedule because the pain kept getting out of control- I think the schedule I was on was for 2 Percocet every so many hrs. or something.Thanks to my mom's advice- we negotiated with the nurse and got the doctors permission to get the same number of tablets a day but instead of 2 at a time, 1 at a time more frequently.
                          I had a lot of muscle spasms a couple days after when they had me up moving, that's normal because when they expose the spine for the surgery, they have to cut through the muscles in your back. That's when muscle relaxants may become her best ally. Since you're at her side, thank God
                          you will be able to help her to get what she needs. Everyone is different
                          like a lot of us have said, so far it sounds like Dawn is a tough cookie.
                          ( I am sorry if this is scary to anyone surfing the posts but facts are facts and we all did this for a better quality of life- which we have gotten).
                          Stay strong
                          1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
                          1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
                          titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
                          2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
                          2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Hi Chris...

I know that the time leading up to surgery is really stressful, so I think your reaction to hearing about Dawn's pain was pretty normal. I had a similar reaction to a friend telling me that when she woke up, her back was on fire. The decision to have or not have surgery is a very personal thing, and you're the only one who can make that decision. I'd like you to think, however, of the people who have said that they don't have any memory of their first days post-op.

No one will ever tell you that this isn't a painful surgery. It is. But, drugs are much better than they used to be, and I think most people will tell you that the pain they have postop is tolerable.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting Dawn's progress. It's good to hear she is doing well, and most of all her pain has been alleviated. Please keep us up on how she does. You both are in my prayers.
                              Laurie
                              Grapevine Texas
                              Anterior/Posterior Surgery T2-S1 in April 2004
                              Dr. Alexis Shelokov, Plano Texas
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Life should not be measured by the number of breaths we take,
                              but by the number of moments that take our breath away

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X