Friends and School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends and School

Hi! I was wondering how your friends reacted when they found out you had a brace. Ive only told my closest friends and they acted fine but what about other people. Also how was it when you wore it to school! I am worried people will think im wierd. Give me tips!
    Wear Boston Brace, 18-23 hours a day. My curve is 38 without brace on top and 28 without brace on bottom. With my brace it is 28 on top and 13 on the bottom. I PRAY no surgary. I love volleyball and track. I hate not being able to find clothes to fit my brace!

Hi Pinkpolkadot.....

If your closest friends are ok with it then you should be too. I know the teen years are hard enough anyway without being even slightly "different". I am 40 yrs. old and had surgery at 15 and went back to school in a body cast that
    went all the way down to my hips...believe me it was noticeable. Especially
    with the big plaster bar across the front. My friends were very supportive and I didn't hear much from anyone else. It shouldn't matter to you sweetie what other people think so much, you know you are doing what you have to do and have the support of your friends. To me, wearing that cast to school helped me find out alot about people- and some kids that I didn't think liked me turned out to be nicer to me during that time. Don't worry about people you don't like, take care of yourself, and God bless.
    Jan
    1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
    1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
    titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
    2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
    2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Thanks that was really helpful!
      Wear Boston Brace, 18-23 hours a day. My curve is 38 without brace on top and 28 without brace on bottom. With my brace it is 28 on top and 13 on the bottom. I PRAY no surgary. I love volleyball and track. I hate not being able to find clothes to fit my brace!

Comment

I'm glad I could help....and you know what, you'll get through this time of your life just fine. And when you get older you'll be able to help others who
        are going through what you've been through.
        Cyberhugs-
        Jan
        1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
        1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
        titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
        2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
        2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Working...
        X