Will i be ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will i be ok?

I'm thinking of getting an anterior/posterior surgery next may 2007 but i have a wedding next october that means ill be 5 months post op will i be ok to attend the wedding and be able to have a little fun????

Thanks in advance

Leelee xx
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Hi LeeLee

I am 46 & I am now 5 weeks post-op! I have noticed a big change by week 5! This past weekend, I went out for car rides & walks both Sat. & Sun. and it was wonderful! I had basically been in house the last four weeks! I was still very exhausted up until last week & needed to lie down a lot... I have forgotten your age, but I do think you will be doing well by 5 mos. post op! You just might not be able to do the Twist at the wedding!!!
    Before surgery, I was prepared for the first month being the roughest..It was true & now I really feel like my old self by week 5! The hard part for me for the next couple of months will be to take it easy & not overdo!
    Take care & stay positive! You'll do great! Lynne

anterior/posterior surgery--95% thorocolumbar curve..reduced to 42%
    by Dr. Boachie/Dr. Kim@ HSS in NYC... fused T-11 to L-5
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

I attended a wedding when I was 2 1/2 months post-op. I was o.k. to attend and had a pretty good time. I was disappointed though, because I couldn't dance. My body wouldn't move the right way.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Leelee, By 5 months I was doing really well and caught myself dancing a bit around the house. Not like I use to for sure. But, think I would not look too much like a dork if I were in public. You will want to get out and have some fun by then for sure.

Comment

Hi Leelee,

By the fifth month you will be able to get out and do stuff, but I know that myself having a longer fusion like you(not just lumbar) can be hard to adjust to the first year and your lower back can get stiff and tight but you just need to move and walk around, as I did and still do at times. You probably will be able to dance a bit too, moving to the rythm.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Lynne

Lynne - I'm 21 yrs old. On your signature it said you were fused from T11 - L5 but in your threads is said you were being fused from T2 - L5. I'm a little confused.

Thanks guys for your reply's it does ,make me feel a little better knowing ill be able to have a little bit of fun still.

LeeLee xx
            Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

LeeLee......................

Leelee---at 21, you will most likely recover very fast! You may not even have to be in the hospital that long. I was in for 10 days & then to a rehab for about a week....My friends & family are amazed at my speedy recovery at 46 yrs old....but I am healthly & always was a very althetic, active, person! I think that helps a lot!
              Yes, I was fused fromT-11 to L-5, as far as I heard. I will be going to my first post-op visit to my surgeon tomorrow afternoon so I will verify that with him... seems my lower spine was not very flexible on the bending x-rays so he did'nt know if my curve(95%) could be moved enough until they opened me up! I was in from 10:00am until about 4:00pm for the first operation. They were able to move the spine to 42% on my major curve(keep in mind how big it intially was-95%) Dr. Boachie told me if he could'nt move it much , he would have to fuse from T-2 to L-5 or sacrum. Therefore, he gave me more flexibility by only fusing T-11 to L-5. I was amazed because I assumed I was going to be fused to the sacrum...
              I have a small thoracic curve but not major, so they left it alone. I am planning to ask him if he thinks it will correct itself.....hope this explains my smaller fusion! Also, from my understanding, 2 titanium rods were put on either side of the big-thorocolumbar curve....I believe this procedure was developed by him...
              I will discuss it with him tomorrow at my appointment & update you then in case I got anything wrong.....Lynne

Comment

Hi
                I was concerned about this too and reluctantly agreed awhile ago to be in my friend's bridal party. Her wedding was Labor Day weekend and I'm so glad I was able to be a part of it. I danced, mingled, ate, drank and had the best time I've had in a long time! Sure I was a little sore and exhausted the following day, but it was well worth it. You should be fine
                Jenn
                37 y/o female
                60 degree lumbar
                45 degree thoracic
                1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                T 5 to S 1
                NYC

Comment

Whoa! You were actually in the bridal party? I don't know that I could have made that commitment. Good for you...sounds like you are recovering at an awesome pace.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X