I decided to go for it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I decided to go for it

Hi all -- I had to take a break from posting for a bit because I was getting overwhelmed with thinking about nothing but scoliosis 24/7.....but anyway, I saw Dr. Boachie for my second follow-up last week and committed to having the surgery in June 2007. I'll get an exact date sometime soon.

I've been encouraged by the mostly-positive experiences people are having with their surgeries (like Lynne, Summer, Suzy, Deb, Brandi) and though I'm still terrified, I don't intend to second-guess my decision. I'm a bit depressed but nothing I can't manage. If so many of you can do it and live to tell the story, I guess I can too.....

Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Good for you! You'll be glad you did. Like I said before I swear the stress and anxiety leading up to the surgery was worse than the surgery and recovery itself. As long as you have a support staff (friends and family) you'll be fine.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

I am having surgery in two days. I have second guessed myself a lot. I am going to do it and this time next week all of this worry will be behind me. I have had to be very strong for my son. I wish you all the best and hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be telling you that I should have done this years ago.
      surgery 9/06
      Rothman institute

Comment

Good luck to both Dawney & Singer. Please keep us posted on your progress Dawney!

Jamie

Comment

Hi Chris,
          I know how you feel you do get like that after going on here all the time thats why i only come on when im relaxed, cos i have been getting really paranoid lately.
          I'm also having ant/post next may 2007 but haven't booked an exact date yet hoping i can get in. My op is going to take 8 hrs. How long is yours going to be and where will you be fused from?

Keep Smiling

Love Lee xx
          Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

We'll be thinking of you Dawney for your surgery in a few days!

I'm also planning on having surgery in June of 2007 - nothing finalized yet though. Feel free to talk to me anytime - -it is a long time to wait!

Best.
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Dawn -- good luck and I'll be thinking of you!!

Lee -- I'll be having a/p surgery for a 70-degree curve...and will probably be fused from around T-11 to L5 or the sacrum, depending on the results of a discogram I have to have in the spring. The doc says it should last around 8 hours.

Ahberry -- June IS a long way to wait, but I suspect that this winter will go by incredibly fast....

I wanted to mention also how great Dr. Boachie was at my last appointment...totally calm and comforting, and very kind. I had a huge list of questions and he answered every one. He's the only surgeon I would consider for this operation.
              Chris

Comment

Chris -

I am so glad you were able to make a decision you are comfortable with. I was also encouraged by the experiences of others on this forum. I was nervous as well, and it definitely helps to see others go through the process and be better for it. Congratulations! You have taken the first steps toward a chance at a better life.

Brandi
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Good for you Singer

Hi Chris,

It is an awfully hard decision to make and I know I wouldn't have been able to do it, either without being on this board for a while and reading the success stories. Glad that sharing our surgery experiences has been helpful to you, also, in making this decision.

I know that you have shared concerns about your family being able to pitch in do the household work and chores that you do now for them. That was also a huge worry for me. Just try and train them the best you can before hand so they know what and how you do things. I made up a list and chart of what and when I do chores. My family came through for me and has worked together as a team. Yes, there are a few dust bunnies floating around sometimes, but most everything necessary is getting done. The hardest parts for me beyond the surgery were giving up control and asking (and accepting) help from others. So it has been a growth process for both them (in sharing responsibility for running the house) and myself.

I have come to truly appreciate both my husband and my 15 year old daughter more than ever before through this. We are really learning to work together as partners. My daughter has shown herself to be amazingly competent when needed and has not done the whining or complaining I had expected.

So it can work and I am sure it will all work out for you, also. Keep us posted as to your journey.

Deb

Comment

Deb...I second that....

Family is so important during this time. The old saying "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" couldn't be more true. My family really came together for me. I also had a difficult time asking for help, but you know what, you learn to let go. My family jumped right in and helped me in every way possible without me having to ask. They understood that during this time I had limitations beyond my control. This amazed me because before surgery, it seemed like no matter how hard I tried to prepare them for what to expect, they just didn't get it. Once I had surgery and they saw me in the ICU, something clicked and they knew how serious the surgeries were. My sweet husband cooked or ordered dinner every night. My kids did their chores for the most part on their own. I am a clean freak and was worried to death that my house would fall apart. Would you believe it stayed clean the whole time I was recovering? Things have a way of working themselves out.

Dawney -
                    I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. I remembered your surgery dates because the 6th is my oldest son's birthday. Just think, all of this will be behind you before you know it, and you will be on the other side helping cheer on the next one.
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Chris, I am so happy you felt the positive input here you read helped you make your decision as well as having Dr. Boachie for your surgeon! The long wait might be tough but, you will be able to keep up the positive thoughts that you have made the right decision with our help. On the up side of having time to prepare, you won't feel the stress that some go through when the surgery date is sooner rather then later. I still am so very glad I went through this surgery. At over 6 months out now I still look at my straight back in amazement.

Dawney, You know we will all be cheering you on and wishing you all the best. I hope you are able to post soon. I am always waiting to hear how each persons own experience was and how it feels to have joined the post-op group. You will be in my thoughts. It will be a new chapter in your life, a good one.

Comment

good decisions....

Chris-----you are making the right decison(I've seen your back!) & you know that I made the right one too (from seeing my back!) You live close enough for me to visit you..& you know I will! The waiting process is the next hardest after the decision making phase so hang in there & take a couple of trips/vacations if you can before next May!
                        Dawney: You'll do great...you are young & will bounce back fast..I'm at 5 weeks now & feel like I'm turning the corner now & feeling much, much better!!! Need less & less pain meds! Lynne

Comment

Deb,Brandi, Suzy, Lynne -- thanks for the encouraging words. I can only hope I'm as strong and brave as you guys!!!

As far as family support goes -- my husband and daughter are ready and willing to help however they can -- and we've decided to get a cleaning lady. Hey, if hubby's willing to pay for it, who am I to argue?? lol! Plus, my very energetic cousin (and a great cook) is coming to stay with us for 2 or 3 weeks after I get home. I have a couple of wonderful friends waiting in the wings to help as well. So I know our family will be okay.

Lynne -- I think your amazing recovery has helped to convince me more than anything to go through with this. If you're doing so well after getting a 95-deg. curve corrected, mine should be cake, right?
                          Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X