I have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question.

Maybe someone can answer this, Linda or Karen.

How long after surgery does a person have to wait to get tattoos or piercings?

I had a bunch of piercings before surgery and due to my 18 days and inability to move basically, when I came home, I lost a few.
    How long do I have to wait to get stuff redone?
    Last edited by katblack; 09-03-2006, 07:28 PM.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Kat...

Sorry, I don't have a clue. I suspect that Dr. Moreno will tell you to wait a long time, as he won't want you taking any chance of inducing an infection.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Bummer.

I have this killer idea for my back scar and I don't want to wait...
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I often wondered the same thing. I have a tattoo on by lower back and fear it will get messed up. I was wondering how long before I could have it "touched up".
        jsully
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Kat,

I read what you want done, Holy SMOKES! LOL! You're brave if you go through it, man the needle would hurt my back but then again you say you have no feeling in your back still. I guess it depends on the individual and what they like, I have a tattoo and it still itches at times, and my friend is the opposite, she likes the pain from piercings and tattoos

I know you have to wait a while, at least a year I think, b/c of a risk of infection. Don't risk it, you wild one you
          Last edited by sweetness514; 09-03-2006, 05:44 PM.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hahahah! It's a killer idea isn't it!?
            I love that idea. Sis came up with the zipper part and I thought of the rest. Either staple piercings all the way down or tattoos of stitches all the way down.
            I want to do it now while I still have no feeling in my back because I know if I do this at my 1 yr. anni. of surgery, it's gonna hurt because my nerves will have grown back full force.

My left leg is coming back so it's only a matter of time before my back does.
            I want to do a test piercing. Go get my nipple redone, keep it super clean, make sure it doesn't get infected, and if that goes well, get the zipper pull piercing done at the top and then wait till after my appointment in November with Doc Moreno so I can go see doc? No infection! Can I do what I want now?...lmao
            No pain anymore!!
            Google is your friend

Comment

piercings/tatoos

Whenever you decide to do this check with your doctor about preventive antibiotics.

Tatooing/piercings have also been known to infect a person with hepatitis B and C(viruses)--these can be fatal. They also and can transmit bacteria(staph and MRSA).

What is most important to you----- health or image will help you decide.

Here are excerpts from medical journals:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12836454

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I know the risk of infection. I had 9 piercings and 3 tats before I went in. I was just wondering a time limit because no matter when you get any type of body mod done (including surgery) there is always the risk of infection.
                But, that is why you have to go to a clean establishment, make sure the equipment and needles, jewelry etc, are all new in plastics and sealed, before proceeding.

I have never once gotten an infection from any type of modification because I know what to look for and watch out for.

I'm not gonna be stupid though. I will ask him. I just really, really, want to do this.
                No pain anymore!!
                Google is your friend

Comment

piercing's---- continued

You do not want germs from your skin(this includes staph found on everyone's skin) to settle in your hardware.

I can't imagine a piercing establishment being cleaner than an OR---can you???
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

They have to be certified by the health department every 90 days here, I don't know about elsewhere.

I said I was going to ask. I am not stupid enough to just go ahead and do it even though I really want to do this.
                    *sigh*

Thanks for the links though.
                    No pain anymore!!
                    Google is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by katblack
                      I have never once gotten an infection from any type of modification because I know what to look for and watch out for.

I'm not gonna be stupid though. I will ask him. I just really, really, want to do this.
                      This makes me think of when I got my tattoo. I was 19, just got dumped by the biggest jerk on this side of town(my first love awww! lol ) and wanted to be rebellious, LMAO. I swear the guy who did the tattoo was stoned out of his mind and I was so dumb and naive back then I didn't even know or think about checking the place if it was clean, you know? At least you're a grown woman now, and you know what to look for and by now should be a pro at this

You're so bad and funny
                      Last edited by sweetness514; 09-04-2006, 05:38 PM.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

katblack:

Have you ever watched the show on TLC called Miami Ink? (they might have a website) I think it was a few weeks back a woman who had scoliosis surgery in her teens had a beautiful tattoo done over her scar about 10 years later. The tattoo artist said something about using a different ink or something because of the way the scar would hold the ink, but it turned out awesome. I think your idea rocks!
                        Laurie
                        mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

I love Miami Ink. I hope we get an answer to your question tho' Kat as I want another tat myself and wondered how long I might have to wait.
                          Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                          Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                          http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Someone on the Adolescent and Teen board posted about an episode of Miami Ink involving a girl who had scoli surgery and a tattoo. Thought I would pass along to Kat, sweetness and whomever else might be interested.
                            Brandi
                            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                            L1-S1
                            Dr. William Lauerman
                            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I had a different type of "tatoo" done. Knowing how bad I would look without makeup for so long after surgery, I just had my eyelids and eyebrows permanently done. It was done in a doctor's office and I used antiobiotics before and after. I'm so glad that I did it! Now I wish I had done my lips as well...but ran out of money and now time! Surgery is in a little over 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X