After Surgery questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Surgery questions

Im going to see my doctor about my options and to find out what percents my curve is at in a couple days. But ive been reading alot on this forum and a couple other sites. I think things are pointing towards me having the surgery. Im not that worried but at the same time i am. The only thing i think i fear the most is what ive heard about after surgery, so i wanted to ask a few questions that would really ease my mind to know...please.

1. Is it really true that the pain in recovery time is excrutiating? I mean, is it like a soreness pain or like alot of straight pain? Ive heard ur not supposed to move much in recovery, so im really afraid of the pain right now.

2.After you leave the hospital, do you have to stay laying flat on a bed or something? or can u sit in a chair? lol i'd much rather be on the comp during recovery time than laying down being bored lol. Im just curious...

3. I happen to have a rare allergy to metal,(usually silver, or things with the element nickel) i break out badly in red blotches and itch. Does anyone know if this will affect the rods they use or something in surgery?

4. After surgery, do they put a brace on you? if so, how do they do it? Is it painfull?

Much thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.

riiight

I don't think the pain was excrutiating no. you are giving a lot of medication to stop that. i mean it does hurt a bit but nothing too awful.

And yes, you do have to lie pretty much flat on your back for the first week or two when you get out of hospital, or i guess you could be propped up with pillows. You can sit on chairs after a while but you might find them uncomfortable. I felt the same way as you about the computer, but to be honest, the first week being out of hospital, i really wasnt up to going on the computer. it sounds silly, but it takes more energy then you might think to sit up and move your arms so they can get to the keyboard and the mouse. You will probbly too tired anyway to concentrate on the computer.

Im not sure about the bracing. i think its different for different people. i never had to wear a brace after the surgery, but i have heard of people who do. i guess youll just have to ask your doctor.

and i have absolutely no idea about the metal thing. the rods are supposed to be unreactive and uncorrosive i think... so that might mean they wont affect your body. but once again, you should probbly ask your doctor.

hope that helped a bit

Comment

Markus,
      My daughter Shelby had surgery June 19 of this year. That was a Monday and she was home Wednesday evening. She sat up and watched t.v. and napped on and off the next day and continued sitting up during the day and only lying down to sleep at night. I think her pain was minimal although she did get frustrated with not being able to adjust herself at night. She couldn't change positions very well. Her curves were 44T and 64L and she was fused from T4 to L4. She did not wear a brace after surgery. She will be 11 weeks post op this Monday and she is doing great. She still can't do a lot but she is in school and hanging out with her friends, she feels better and looks awesome. I also don't know much about being allergic to metal but I am sure that is something your doctor can help you with. I know this is a huge surgery but it was the best decision for Shelby, her biggest curve was pressing on her lung so she was having difficulty breathing and was in pain almost every day for a couple of months before her surgery. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to ask questions, this forum was such a blessing for Shelby and me.

Kathy
      Daughter Shelby (almost 13)
      44T 64L Corrected to 10T 10L
      Posterior Fusion T4 to L4
      June 19, 2006

Comment

Markus, I think its just so good that you are asking all the hard questions, I so do admire you for that.

You will find this forum absolutely fantastic, it will help you heaps.

Macky.
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus
          3. I happen to have a rare allergy to metal,(usually silver, or things with the element nickel) i break out badly in red blotches and itch. Does anyone know if this will affect the rods they use or something in surgery?
          Hello, I know of someone who also has an allergy to metal, and she's about two years post-op, her doctors knew, used the appropriate hardware, and everything was fine. As long as you tell your doctors . . . . . pat

Comment

Don't worry about it.

Hey Marcus. Surgery isn't as bad as you think it is. Trust me I know. I already had 3 back surgery's. It's gonna hurt for a while. When I had my surgeries done, I didn't feel like getting out of bed 'cause it hurt. But the pain medicine they give you helps a lot. You also have to lay down almost flat on your back for a few days, and trust me, it's a lot better to lay down flat than it is sitting up. I missed about 4 weeks of school (and i'm a wuss when it comes to pain). Then I did about 2 weeks of half-days at school. Then after that, you can probably go back then for full-time. Trying walking outside with a walking stick, like walking on your driveway or something. I know it sounds stupid, but it helps a lot!!! I know it helped me out a lot. Don't worry, your do fine. You'll get so much attention, you don't know what to do with all of it. Let me know if you have any more questions. Oh, I never had to wear a brace after my surgery, so I'm sure you don't have to.

Imusedtoit.

Comment

1. In the hospital, dont worry about it. The "physical therapy" stuff they make you do kind of hurts, but youll be so drugged up on morphine that you propably feel nothing more than some discomfort. lol its true. The only thing i would aware you of is that you may experience some, or alot, of sorness and muscle spasms in your rib areas, because they straighten out your ribs with your spine and the muscles surrounding it kinda go skitzo. You prob. wont experience that until your home. Then theres vicatin! yayyyyy vicatin!!! haha

2. after i had my surgery they let me sort of lay on my side with pillows stuffed underneath me so i would be comfy. I could sit but not for long. I think you would do just find with a bed or even maybe a good recliner.

3.I have no idea, but i think they use only titanium now but i would DEFFINATLY tell your doctors about this. They have the best answer.

4. I think it varies on the type of spine surgery and where and severity and what not. I didnt have to wear a brace. If your scoliosis isnt too bad and your having a prosterior (sp?) surgery i dont think you will need to wear one.

hope that helps

Comment

Working...
              X