Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision: Posterior or Anterior surgery

Hi,

I saw my doctor on Tuesday and got some unexpected news.

When I saw him the last time 4 weeks ago I complained about the pain in the upper back and my curves are TL at 45* and T 22*. Based on what I told him about my pain and where the pain is the doctor recommended correcting both the thorocolumbar curve 45* and the upper curve 22*. He said he would prefer to only correct the large curve and leave the upper (smaller) curve not fused but since I complained that my pain is in the upper back he said he would correct two curves. He said he would do it with a posterior surgery.

I then did a lot of research and found that when the larger curve is corrected that the smaller curve in my case would correct on its own about 10 to 15 degrees, which would make the upper curve as little as 7 to 12 degrees. I also spoke to many physical therapists and saw other doctors (got more opinions) and they all said that there is no need to correct the upper curve and that my pain is associted with scoliosis and mostly the larger curve. My husband beleives that the pain is caused by my poor posture and that causes the back pain.

With all that information I went to see the doctor again and I told him that I am not sure if I want to have fusion in the upper curve and he said that as he firsrt told me at the first appointment that it is not necessary to correct that curve but since I complained about the upper back pain he thought of correcting both curves because if he left it it I may still be having pain in the upper back after the surgery and he thought I would not want to take that chance. Now he told me that after he spoke to me again he realized that the pain is most likely caused by the way i sit or stand which is not straight due to the lower curve and that I should get the lower curve corrected and that should reduce or eliminate the pain. If I still had the progression of the upper curve then he said that can be taken care of at a later time. He said that he thought about it and that if i was his wife or daughter he would just correct the TLcurve.

So here is the unexpected news: he said he would do the surgery with the anterior approach. That is something that I never researched so much because I never thought I would get that type of surgery. I thought that I will be getting both curves corrected and that could only be done using the posterior approach.

He said that he could do it either way but he would recommend it doing from the front because he can get a much better correction, less blood loss, less recovery time and he just felt that it would be best to use the anterior approach and that I would be very happy with the results and that most of his patients are very happy with this type of surgery. I am so not prepared for it because I read in the scoliosis book that a study was done of both approaches and there were 30 percent of complications in those patients who had anterior surgery and only 2 percent in those who had it posterior. Also, he said that they will deflate the lung, remove the rib and take out the disks. And that I will have a chest tube for two days. IT just seems that the anterior approach is much riskier as oppose to posterior. I guess I wasnt prepared for this and just don't know what to do. He said that it is basically up to me and I can let him know which approach i prefer. He said that in my case he could get great results doing it either way and I have to make a decision. My husband thinks that the doctor knows what is best for me and that I should just trust him and not go so crazy.

My surgery is on September 19th and I would appreciate it if anyone has any advise or jsut some information that they can share that will make it easier for me to make the right decision.

Thank you so much!!!!

Mariya
    30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
    8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
    3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
    4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
    2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Hi Mariya...

I personally think that if you have confidence in a surgeon, you should let him/her do what s/he feels best.

Here's the latest research on anterior vs. posterior procedures:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

With that said, there is a significant chance of "chronic pain and asymmetric bulging of the ipsilateral abdominal body wall musculature" after the anterior surgery. I have that complication, and it's something I'll have to live with for the rest of my life. If I knew that would happen going into surgery, I probably would have tried to avoid it.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Is this my post or Mariya's?

Hi Mariya, I just read your post this morning and I too was thinking I was reading mine that I posted last night.

At least your doctor is giving you a choice. So far, my doctor hasn't given me a choice but I will go back in October after my MRI and see if I can change his mind. I have 2 younger children and as I've researched the anterior and I'm not liking the sounds of it all plus I can't see being under anesthesia for so long if it can be done posterior only and shorten the time you have to be under. How long were you told your surgery would take?

I know many many girls on this post have the anterior and posterior done and are just fine but it still scares me so much - especially after I prepared myself for the posterior only.

My curve is also considered a thoracolumbar curve and my bigger curve of 62 isn't changing a whole lot - only about 6 degrees over 9 years but the lower curve has changed 10 degrees and now my body looks shifted (the dr calls it compensated to the right side) but at any rate it's pretty noticible to me. I was told he would be fusing mostly the bigger structural curve and that the smaller upper and lower curves were compensatory and would go away and now he's saying a longer fusion for me - going into my lower back because that is where my pain is.

Please keep me posted as to what you decide or any other information you may find in research that is helpful. Good luck - I know you must be really stressed since your surgery is so close.

Pam
      43 y.o. married w/a 12 and 14 y.o
      62 degree curve T7 - L2 that is now being measured at 54 degrees?????
      Never had surgery/Thinking about it and gathering all the info I can!

Comment

Mariya -

Having recently gone through scoliosis surgery myself, I must agree with Linda. If you trust your surgeon,which should be a given if you are scheduling surgery, then trust in his/her professional opinion. As I'm sure you are aware surgery, regardless of the approach, is risky. I had a combined anterior/posterior fusion and I do not favor one approach over the other. I hope you can arrive at a decision you can make peace with.
        Last edited by bbest; 09-01-2006, 08:40 AM. Reason: left out a word in a sentence
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Pam....

I'd like to discourage you from talking your surgeon into anything. I think that talking him/her into something with which they're not comfortable sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I think I had a similar question regaurding anterior/posterior surgery awhile back. Two Dr's I had seen wanted to do it anteriorly and I was very scared.
            The last Dr I have seen chooses to do it posteriorly. I feel much more at ease with this decision. Maybe you should also seek a second opinion.
            Look for a DR who is a member of the Scoliosis Research Society, they have to keep up on what is best.
            jsully
            36 year young cardiac RN
            old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
            new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
            Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
            Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
            and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Another question on the a/p thing

As I've gone back through a lot of old posts I came up w/another question on this...my doctor told me he would make an incision on my left side, remove a rib and some discs and then do the rods/screws/fusion from the back. This sounds to me like a thoracoplasty...is that correct? Isn't there also a fusion done from the front? So when you all say you've had a/p surgery do you mean you've been fused from the front and back or does what I've described fall under the term "anterior surgery" as well? I've also seen some people mention having a lung deflated but my doctor didn't mention this...seems this would be an important thing to mention so I don't know if that means he WOULD NOT be touching my lungs or if he just didn't mention it.

I'm so confused. My next appointment isn't until October and I will be having an MRI done next week of my lumbar spine. I had a list of 20 questions at my last appointment and still didn't cover everything I think of!

I did find a 2nd opinion Dr. and can get in there on Sept 28th so that will be 2 weeks before my next appt. with my original surgeon. I feel so angry at times. I really like this doctor and put my trust in him, felt comfortable, etc. and then he changes the whole plan and I feel like I'm back to square one again. The scary part is that he has openings in his surgery schedule in October so I can get this over with fairly quickly if I choose to.

Thanks for listening everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfan
                As I've gone back through a lot of old posts I came up w/another question on this...my doctor told me he would make an incision on my left side, remove a rib and some discs and then do the rods/screws/fusion from the back. This sounds to me like a thoracoplasty...is that correct?
                No, that sounds like typical anterior (incision on the side through the ribs) and posterior surgery ("rods/screws/fusion from the back").

Isn't there also a fusion done from the front?
                Yes, that's referred to as anterior surgery.

So when you all say you've had a/p surgery do you mean you've been fused from the front and back or does what I've described fall under the term "anterior surgery" as well?
                Yes, A/P surgery usually refers to fusion from both the front and the back. However, anterior fusions levels usually differ from posterior fusion levels. For example, I'm fused T4-L3 from the back, but only L1-L3 from the front.

I've also seen some people mention having a lung deflated but my doctor didn't mention this...seems this would be an important thing to mention so I don't know if that means he WOULD NOT be touching my lungs or if he just didn't mention it.
                It could be either. I think that if they're only accessing the lower lumbar vertebrae from the front, they would not need to deflate a lung.

Comment

Hi Linda, you had mentioned in an earlier post about abdominal wall bulging from anterior surgery. If I had the incision as I mentioned earlier would I be in danger of this happening? Is this literally a bulge on the side where you are cut that just doesn't go away?

Comment

Hi...

If you have an anterior abdominal incision, you will be at risk of the bulging. I think in most, if not all cases, the bulging is below the incision. Check out this thread:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...isional+hernia

--Linda

Comment

First time I hear about the incision hernia............

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                      Hi...

If you have an anterior abdominal incision, you will be at risk of the bulging. I think in most, if not all cases, the bulging is below the incision. Check out this thread:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...isional+hernia

--Linda
                      Hi Linda,

I am so worried now that I came across this specific risk because I am due to have anterior surgery in two weeks and was somewhat worried about this approach as it did sound a little more involved than the posterior approach. It's like everytime I try to get some releive and some assurance that everything will be alright, I get even more discouraging news regarding the risks invoolved. I know that this is a very serious surgery and I guess there are many risks that these doctors and books sure don't tell us about. My husband keeps telling me that enough is enough and I just feel that the more I read the more I find out and since my surgery is in two weeks I feel that I may not be ready for it. I am so dissapointed in this particular complication because it ssems that there is nothing that can be done to avoid it or to take care of it after surgery.

I plan on calling my doctor (DR. LONNER)tomorrow and asking him about this compliaction. Hope he can tell me more.............

Thanks a lot for all your support!!!

Mariya
                      30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                      8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                      3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                      4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                      2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Hi Mariya...

I think some surgeons have far fewer of these complications than other. Hopefully Dr. Lonner can assure you that his patients don't have this problem.

Regards,
                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X