Nerves Re-Growning/Attaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerves Re-Growning/Attaching

Okay- I have heard of this quite a bit on this forum.. would any of you like to explain how this felt for you? I am having ALOT of very strong knife like pain/stabbing in my ribs and my lower back over the past week or so. It was much lighter before.. now it is really painful.. it definitely feels nerve like. I'm almost wondering if something is wrong... any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by makaylasmom; 08-29-2006, 09:33 PM.
    Angela
    29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Mine wasn't a stabbing pain. I had the tingling (kinda like a buzzing feeling). Also the muscles in the rib area (where the incision is) spasming and balling up real tight and staying that way for hours. Since I started taking Lyrica, a nerve medicine, it is not as bad but still very bothersome.

Did you possible do something the last few days that was a little strenuous? Whenever I did that, I ended doing nothing for a few days because of the change in pain.

Hope someone else has any other ideas for you. Have you called your doctor? Take care and try not to overdo.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Angela,

I know what you mean, you wonder when it first happens is this normal? When mine started it felt like someone was shocking me, so much in fact it would make me gasp out loud! I scared the heck out of my husband when it first happened because we were out to lunch. It seemed to come in short bursts and would take me a minute to catch my breath. Now when it happens it is a sharp tingle. Dr. said it is nerves reattaching/waking up. It doesn't happen all the time or have any specific pattern. Mine is always in my lower left back. Curious enough my curve was to the lower right..... Now when it happens I grin and think "I'm still recovering." (That is because It is so in-frequent and so much less painful.) Sounds normal to me but you can always call your Dr. for piece of mind.

Comment

Me, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela,suzy.theresa---I have it too... I get more tingling -funny feelings in the legs. Nothing painful-just nerves,I guess. Last night I had a stabbing/ache off & on where the lumbar(low back) big curve was. Finally it subsided when I took my pain meds last night.
        Angela-I have the rib pains, as I have said many times....though last night it felt so swelled up-like they were popping out of my side....I felt like screaming! Luckily, this morning is better & I am going to put another of the patches on it-seems to help a bit.....hang in there! Lynne

Comment

Seeing surgeon in the morning

I called my surgeon's office- they want to rule out hardware probs.. so I will let you all know what they say after tommarows appt.
          Thanks!
          Angela
          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I'm now 6 months post op and I still have the tingly nerves feeling in my left leg and all of my back.
            I have basically no feeling in my back at all. People touch me on my back and I can't feel it unless they press really hard or poke me very hard.

My left leg only tingles if I touch it and it's that "asleep tingle" feeling ya know?

I hope it gets better over more time. It's not annoying or a problem but I'd like to get more feeling back in my back.
            36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
            Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
            Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
            Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
            Curve post op = 20 degrees
            No pain anymore!!
            Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

It's absolutely normal, I still get it and when I hit something(like a wall or someone), it is all over my back. It takes time to subside, but after a few months of surgery is when it starts and the nerves "wake up", so the ride is just beginning
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Yeah i remember that, completely normal. i am two years out from my first surgery and one year out from taking the rods out and i still have weird nerve stuff. Its no problem at all, in fact, i still have areas that i can't feel at all! Someone will touch me there and i can't feel it. My dr. said that this will probably stay numb my whole life. no big deal, just very strange. but to answer your question, yes...normal.

Comment

Went to Dr. today

Okay- I went to the surgeons office today- had an X-Ray done- all hardware intact and he says everything "looks good". He said that all that I am feeling is normal- although- he gave me an RX for a musle relaxer as the pains I am having are not a tingle per se- but they are very painful- almost like I'm being stabbed... it sucks! Says it is from the nerves re-growing/attaching and say it can be and is painful. If someone yells to loud around me or if someone tries to touch my back- the nerves go nuts and start "jumping". It takes awhile for it to stop- and it gets painful. He says this is normal?!?!? Oh well, I guess it is different for everyone.. he had prescribed Valium for this whole nerve jumping thing earlier this month., but now says he will not continue with that either as it is habit forming... kinda sucks, cause that would calm it down..... thought I'd keep you all in the loop... thanks for letting me know that I am not alone in all this!!
                  Angela

Comment

Wow...I'm also the same about loud noises, and for example dogs barking or any type of noise makes me jump and my nerves freak out I haven't watched a horror movie since my last surgery, in December, and I love those but it just would beat the crap out of me, and I keep telling my family and they have a hard time understanding, but now you make me feel not so weird
                    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

All sorts of sensations

All this stuff is normal while getting used to being "uncoiled". The body needs to get used to being in a more normal shape.

Try not to dwell on all this it will pass--otherwise you will go nuts for no reason.
                      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I'm glad I read thru these posts!!!! I have just started to walk a bit around my street/sidewalk and notice I have some aches in my left leg(in the thigh,more so) & then I need to stand for a few minutes & then can continue..seems the left leg just seems to be a bit week..& big lumbar curve was on the left side...I don't know if its related to that or not?? Ly

Comment

Working...
                        X