How bad is the scaring from surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is the scaring from surgery?

My daughter is scheduled for surgery using the posterior open approach. I know there are more important considerations and that it has to be done but it is still an important concern.

If she's a good healer, the scar will be pencil-tip thin and the same color as her skin within a year or so after surgery. Before the surgery, ask the surgeon how he/she closes the incision. If they use staples, ask about using internal/disolvable sutures instead. Then, after surgery is over, make sure the steri-strips (or whatever protective covering) stays on while the incision heals good and tight (probably 3 weeks). If scars are bad enough (ie, too thick, too raised, etc.) a plastic surgeon can help reduce the effects of a scar.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

My daughter used the scar reducing strips that are sold in the store. She started as soon as her scar was healed and wore them for 6 weeks. Her scar is very thin and hardly noticeable where she used the scar strips. (She only did the upper part of her scar that would show when she had her dance leotard on.)
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2010
        My daughter used the scar reducing strips that are sold in the store. She started as soon as her scar was healed and wore them for 6 weeks. Her scar is very thin and hardly noticeable where she used the scar strips. (She only did the upper part of her scar that would show when she had her dance leotard on.)
        I assume from your post that there is a noticeable difference between where she used them and where she didn't?
        What brand did she use?

Comment

I had surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago & my scar is mainly healed & I am amazed how good it looks.... I guess I expected it to be so much worse! Lynne

Comment

the scar i have is realy neat and its still light pink becaause i only had surgery 3 months ago but it has fadded and is still fading. i was expecting to come out iwth a horibble lumpy dark scar that would be an eye sore but its great.

hope this helps and good luck with the surgery love fay xxx
            Fay... curves of 50* and 55* now 16 * after op.

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply. I cannot remember what brand, just that they were in a blue box. They did make a big difference on her scar.
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
              X