Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st outbound Physical therapy appmt.....!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st outbound Physical therapy appmt.....!

Hi all.....I went to my first P.T. appmt last evening(1 hr) and walked a whole lot....they also had me do several leg excercises. The guy there asked me log roll onto each of my sides which I have been doing at home well enough. My left side still feels weird what with the ribs out/numbness & all. Then he asked me to roll onto my stomach....I said nicely," NO Way"... I told him about the ribs out & said it was too sore/numb... He said he wants me to do it next time...Does everyone else do that in P.T. whose had ribs out?????? thks , Lynne

Wow. Every case truly is different. As you know, I also had a lumbar fusion - no thoracoplasty. I had basic PT in the hospital (walking up and down stairs, navigating my hospital room, log rolling, sitting, standing, etc.). Once I returned home, Dr. Lauerman's office arranged for a therapist to come to my house a couple of times a week. There was no rolling onto my stomach. I wasn't asked to do it, and I don't think I could have if I wanted to. We basically did leg strengthening excercises. He also taught me to proper way to get in and out of the bathtub and how to get on and off the toilet - basic stuff. I won't begin more rigorous therapy for a couple of months yet.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lynne,
      I wasn't asked to lay on my stomach during PT and to this day, I don't do it and I think I would refuse too. My surgeon asked me roll on to my stomach at 7 weeks post op while he was trying to stitch the top of my incision which had come undone, but it was so painful that I started to cry and he immediately rolled me onto my side and did the procedure while I was lying on my side. He felt horrible that I was in so much pain on my stomach, but he thought for sure I should have been able to lay like that without any problem. Not sure how that can even physically happen at that point, but he really thought it shouldn't have been a problem.

Comment

Thks....I am definitely not doing anything I don't want to even though this therapist(at Kessler rehab) insists going on my stomach is fine... I was ready to scream when he suggested it! I felt great last night after the work out but felt like I had added aches & pains by 3am when I woke up......I want the therapy but a little at a time. I am trying to be very careful to not strain/over do it.....

Comment

Wow! I guess everyone's situation is very different. I was told NO PT until 4 or 5 months post op. Honestly- I don't think I would even want to roll onto my stomache at this point. I tried it once and it hurt me. I was told not to do anything that hurts at this point.
          Angela
          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Not yet

Hi guys I still haven't been cleared for physical therapy. When I go back to Boston on the 22 of September they will then I guess. I would advise NOT trying to go on your stomach.. I have been a side and stomach sleeper my whole life and since I wasn't sleeping very well I thought I would try my stomach. BAD IDEA! It was extremely painful and I couldn't flip myself back over. I have a feeling like my stomach days are over. BOO HOO will I ever sleep well again?

Comment

I also had a PT in my room while recovering in the hospital and she gave me leg and arm strenghtening exercises that gave me more pain, and so after a few weeks and seeing it made my pain worse(nerve pains in my lower back and stomach), she told me to stop doing them, as it's usually advised when PT makes you feel worse, to stop. Not everybody gets the same relief from the same exercises. So I walked outside and walked in the pool, and swimming after three months or so. Only a year later or so I started doing light weights as well.

It really depends on what a person gets out of PT if it helps or not and the surgeon's decision to have their patients do PT. I wouldn't roll on my stomach if it hurts, just listen to yourself they don't all know what's best.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

poor communication..............

Hi all----I e-mailed the nurse yesterday & was told no P.T. until I see my surgeon next week on thurs... I was so upset becasue the Rehab I had been at called last week & enrolled me for 2 nights a week into the program & it looks like they did not have the prescription from my surgeon....so I only went this past Monday night. Hopefully I did'nt hurt anythg becasue I only did some walking & leg exercises. I was so upset but then again when you go to a rehab like I did after surgery, they do have you do some light P.T. becasue they want you up & walking & the insurance co.s require 3 hrs a day(2 sessions of 1-1/2 hours). I am still really confused as to if it helps you or hurts you....I wish they had informed me more about all of this..............

Comment

Lynne,
                  My surgeon said that he does not usually prescribe PT but because my lower back was still so stiff at 4 months post-op and the rest of me was in such good health, he did prescribe it for me. He normally uses the "once you get back into your normal daily routine, everything will work itself out" approach, but that just wasn't enough for my lower back. Good luck with your appt. next week. It will be interesting to see what your PT says.

Comment

Why do we all get different instructions??? Are we guinea pigs???

Shari

Comment

PT...stomach....leg lifting...?????

I think we all get different instructions because we all heal at a different rate and depending on how we are at each doctors appt. they may make decsions either sooner than they would or maybe put them off a bit longer. I know i did things sooner than we expected and had originally talked about. In the hospital i could NOT do PT not even bedside.I cried at the words of log roll not even trying after the first one. I just refused 100%. And nothing/ nobody in the world could make me do it. When i got home it was a whole nother story. By 2/3 weeks i was sleeping on my side ( eithe or including the left side with rib removal) and then at like 4 weeks i was sleeping on my stomach.
                      My doctor said it was competely ok. He said what i did during sleep time....tossing,turning,switching sides,stomach..whatever was fine. I am now about 3 months post op and cleared for PT just waiting for my appt.( next friday). I had been driving since like the 3rd week post op and can't wait for PT. He also had me BEND,which i was shocked,at my last appt.He said it was because my x-rays were looking good,i felt great,take no pain medication,not stiff and just basically seemed ready. Believe me this was all a surprise to me.
                      I am anxious to see what i do at PT. The only thing he said is he wanted me to go to a certain PT place,not like pre-op where he told me to go wherever i liked. Now he said this is the important time and he wanted to make sure i went to the best possible facility.And i trust his opinion. I could still go to another but i think i'll stick with his recommendation.We'll see what happens.
                      Oh yeah, on another note he said if i wanted more kids i could try anytime January on. I thought i would have to wait untill next June. I guess things may be baised on each indiviual.
                      Stephanie, MI
                      Ant. lumbar T11 to L3
                      June 5th 2006
                      rib removal
                      Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 rib removed
                      June 5, 2006

Comment

thks. stephanie...your post made me feel better!

stephanie-thks for your input! you seem to be doing really well with your recovery! I also want to be off heavy pain meds by September. I am now 4 weeks post-op. I am only on 1 pain med as needed now.....I have to see my surgeon next week & he will let me know if I should continue P.T. at that time or not. I don't think I have done anything so far that could of hurt my fusion.... only walking & a few leg exercises.... I think I have just been paranoid about hurting my fused area in any way. I'm happy to hear that he said moving around when sleeping was ok....I was nervous about that too! take care, Lynne
                        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                        surg was Aug 1st-Dr. Boachie/Dr. Kim
                        fused T-11 to L-5

Comment

Working...
                        X