Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About my mom...

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to posting. Hope this is how to do it.
    My mom is going to have major spinal fusion, bracing, everything, on Thursday August 31st. These forums have been a great support, so I just wanted to put out the word...think good thoughts for Betty Newton and her surgeon, Dr. Serena Hu. And bless you all. My mom is 73!

Laura Brittain

We will think about her! Blessings.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Best of luck to your mom. Please report back and let us know how she is doing.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Laura,

You and your mother will be in my prayers also.

Shari

Comment

Thanks so much

Thanks guys for your support.
          I will post later after the surgery. Hopefully it will be nothing but good news.

Take care,
          Laura

Comment

The prayers are going out in Texas! (and Wisconsin, and.....) Let us know!

Comment

Please let us know how your mom is doing. Prayers and Hugs to you both!!
              Angela
              29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Lots of caring thoughts and prayers for your mum Laura. From Australia.

Macky
                Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Mom's recovery

Hi guys, hope you're well.

Mom's surgery went well and was only 4 and a half hours long. They made the internal brace for her and did the fusion. She'll wait a year or so before perhaps removing the rib hump. She did well before, during and now, one week post op.

I started two threads a week ago. So here's a duplicate of what I've been writing in the family section of the forums. From now on, maybe I'll just post here.

I told Mom about people's prayers and good thoughts when I was in the hospital the past few days. She smiled. She's drifting in and out of that necessary dance with pain killers. She has good nurses, great doctors, and does her Physical Therapy daily. It's been a week since the operation and she is slowly recovering, but without any complications. The doctors say she is doing fine and can possibly come home to San Diego in about a week. We'll see. She's still too weak to move. When she does it will probably be by ambulance.

It's been a little bit surprising to me to see how long she's in bed, unable to function. That's because of the highly-necessary meds. But she does eat a little, comb her hair, sit up with help...

I'm writing down this experience in the hope that it will encourage and help educate others. I figure if my little old 73-year old mommy can do this, it may be a flag of hope for someone else. Seems like this surgery is often covered by insurance and government programs, so...
                  But her scoliosis was so severe it would have killed her eventually.
                  We'll see if this helps her lungs. She looks taller.

Above all, my mom hasn't shown any fear. So that's good. She is good and dopey right now, though!

Thanks for listening!

Take care, all,
                  Enjoy your days.
                  Laura

Comment

Thanks for the update and positive note about surgery. I am happy to hear your mother is pulling through very well!

What is an internal brace? I haven't heard of that term before..

Keep your head up,
                    Jamie

Comment

Wonderful news!!!

Thanks for letting us know how she is doing!
                      Angela
                      29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Hi Laura,

It's great to hear that your Mom is doing well!!! She's one tough woman that is in my thoughts and prayers.

Shari

Comment

Internal bracing

Hi,
                          Jamie asked what an "internal brace" was. The surgeon said they would create internal bracing with hardware. I think it's the rods, screws, and maybe some wires. I guess I need to find out a little bit more about it!

Take care,
                          Laura

Comment

Your mom is an inspiration to others in her age group.
                            I figure if my little old 73-year old mommy can do this, it may be a flag of hope for someone else.
                            Little old 73 year old my foot...your mom doesn't sound like any 73 year old I've ever known...she rocks! She is also very lucky to have such a loving and caring daughter. I wish her all the best for a speedy and successful recovery.
                            Brandi
                            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                            L1-S1
                            Dr. William Lauerman
                            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Laura, believe you me ,your mums story will definately encourage and inspire others, she is such a wonder.

Totally unbelievable, have loved reading how she is going and boy have I prayed for her!! Wow what a special lady.

Macky xx(for your mum)
                              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Working...
                              X