my tummy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my tummy

hey, ever since i got my brace i feel like i'm getting fatter. since i'm not using my abs to sit up like everybody else i try hard to do sit ups and ab work outs and stuff. before i got my brace i really wanted a six pack. but now i do sit ups and stuff just to keep my tummy where it is and not get fat!
    any suggestions???
    LIBBY

14 yrs old
    28 t
    29 L before brace
    right now: 21 L
    now i'm doing basketball, ballet, and piano

yeah i am not sure, i basically just try to work out alot when i don't have my brace on. i feel the same way.
    I am 14

I love knitting, reading, dancing, singing, acting, etc.

I have a boston brace

My curves are 18 and about 9 in my brace

Originally my curves were about 15 and 30

I wear my brace 18-20 hours a day

Comment

ya

ya i wish there was something else i could do but w/e.
      i'm getting a username on spinekids right now. you should try it...
      LIBBY

14 yrs old
      28 t
      29 L before brace

Comment

Spinekids

Spinekids? I think I'll mosey on over there...
        Hey, I'm Laura, 13, 8th grade

Idiopathic adolescent scoliosis..
        Diagnosed 2005
        Boston bracing
        Curves USED to be: 33 and 27
        Cures ARE: 22 and 15
        I have AIM
        IM me!

Comment

Hey

Hey i do i pilates to get core stengthining and that will keep you fit i am now getting very toned ect.The docter i go to says pilates is very good for you but it wont help your spine,but it will give u core stregthning just look into it it really helps or just physical threpy helps as well.Hope this helps

Comment

i try to do some core strengthening stuff everyday and my stomach is actually getting kinda toned!!!
            LIBBY

14 yrs old
            28 t
            29 L before brace

Comment

yeah definately do the pilates thing..or even sit-ups.
              The reason we get flabby abs is because the brace (esp. Boston and milwaukee) support our torso instead of our abs. I never did anything when i wore my brace and now have to work extra hard for the flat tummy
              8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

i'm not sure how old you guys are because i don't know what 8th grade means but to be honest, you shouldn't be aiming for a six pack when you're young! nobody should be doing intentional muscle-building until they've finished growing, it's really not something to worry about.

as long as you're not stuffing yourselves with junk food and you get some exercise every day, you should be fine! enjoy being so young, rather than getting hung up over something which isn't necessary. having a washboard stomach isn't the only measure of health and fitness
                diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
                fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
                Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
                scoliosis support forum

Comment

Don't forget cardio and having fun.

Also, not everyone can get a six pack due to genes. My abs turned into a rather pretty figure eight. I am 43, just happened to see this topic, am a fitness instructor.

Tip: when you do your exercises try to think of what muscles you are using. Get to know them. That way for example, you're not just lifting up or putting strain on your neck, but contracting your very own muscle(s) to pull you up. Also, you may not know but one of your stomach muscles wraps around your entire torso, meaning it goes around your back. Don't forget positions such as "superman." Tummy on floor, arms and feet up. Hold 30 seconds. Your lower back will appreciate it, later

Wow you guys are starting out young to be so interested in a six pack.

I only got to swim in summers but I never felt fat under my brace. Our house was never stocked with junk food. I think the word you are looking for is toned, rather than fat.
                  Last edited by ck43; 10-26-2006, 05:33 PM.
                  Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by ck43
                    Don't forget cardio and having fun.

Also, not everyone can get a six pack due to genes. My abs turned into a rather pretty figure eight. I am 43, just happened to see this topic, am a fitness instructor.

Tip: when you do your exercises try to think of what muscles you are using. Get to know them. That way for example, you're not just lifting up or putting strain on your neck, but contracting your very own muscle(s) to pull you up. Also, you may not know but one of your stomach muscles wraps around your entire torso, meaning it goes around your back. Don't forget positions such as "superman." Tummy on floor, arms and feet up. Hold 30 seconds. Your lower back will appreciate it, later

Wow you guys are starting out young to be so interested in a six pack.

I only got to swim in summers but I never felt fat under my brace. Our house was never stocked with junk food. I think the word you are looking for is toned, rather than fat.
                    well anyways about the stomach, wat i do is i eat lots of veggis and i work out a lot too. every once in awhile if i think that i've been good with eating healthy then i give my self a little treat. then it's back to eating healthy. for the excercising i have an ablounge so i do that. also i have a sky machine type thing that i do and pretty soon i'll be getting a tredmill. at my school (horace mann middle school, sheb. wi.) we have a fitness center where i work out after school. we have tredmills, uprite bikes, recombant bikes, upper and lower body machines, ect. i hope i helped u!
                    Hey i'm Nicole,
                    i'm 16, i like to write stories
                    and poems.
                    I never come on here so...
                    peace

Comment

Working...
                    X