Tape over Incision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape over Incision

I have my first follow up appointment since surgery tomorrow. But I'm curious...I forgot what they said about the tape strips that are horizontal across my incision. I thought they told me that that tape would come off on its' own? Or will they pull it off tomorrow during my appointment? What do they generally do on the first appointment after surgery?

Hi---my tape pieces are still on the top(under my arm) part of my big incision. They have'nt fallen off yet. I was told to leave them on until they come off by themselves..... I had surgery Aug. 1st.........Ly

Comment

Thanks for the info! I had my surgery August 8th. I really wish they'd fall off soon.

Comment

My steri-strips itched so bad, I would scratch around them and actually peeled some of them off. No harm done, my incisions were closed.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I was also told the steri strips would fall off on their own or if a couple were peeling off, my hubby could gently remove them the rest of the way. I think only a couple of the actually came off on their own. My surgeon removed the rest at my 3 or 4 week appt. I found that the breathing exercises that I learned at my hospital's relaxation class helped me get through the removal. Although it didn't really hurt, it was uncomfortable, like having a bunch of band aids taken off. I found that short, quick breaths out while each was removed helped take my mind off of it.

Comment

My steri strips itched so bad because i found out i had a allergic reaction to the adheasive on them so my dr said it would be ok to take them off. He said that by the two week point the incision should be closed up and it is so no harm done!
            Now i have to deal with the itching still and raw skin. Yay!!
            Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
            2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
            March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
            August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
            August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

My first surgery, they all came off by themselves. This last surgery half came off and the other half were half way off but after three weeks and seeing that they were not coming all off by themselves my hubby carefully peeled them off, and it really helped me with the itchiness and even pain, as they was causing me some weird pain/numbness. I did this after I read in David Wolpert's book that after three weeks it's okay to take them off.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
              X