rainey cool weather.....more aches.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rainey cool weather.....more aches.?

I have felt like every day I was feeling better up to today. Today it is rainey & cool & I feel yucky--which is a change from the beautiful weather we have had all last week in the NYC metro area.....do you all feel weather changes have a big effect on your back/ pain meds? Kind of like arthritis?? thks-lynne
    post-op : almost 4 weeks......

It certainly can't help, but for me it's much worse when the temps are really hot and humid, one of the reasons I didn't have surgery in the Summer.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I know a lot of people with spinal instrumentation say they can tell when it's going to rain and they can detect weather changes like humidity. I am completely unaffected by these sorts of things...for now anyway. Although, on second thought, it's been quite humid here in the DC area and my back has been bothering me all day. Actually took a muscle relaxer for the first time in weeks.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

weather changes

With me its not my back, but instead its the area of the rib removal and my left leg. More the rib than anything though. Like others, i sure know when its gonna rain. And it doesn't feel good!

Stephanie
        2 1/2 months post op
        Stephanie
        T11 to L3
        1 rib removed
        June 5, 2006

Comment

I had surgery in Maine in Feburary 2005. We had a very wet, cool Spring following and I did have a lot of aches and stiffness in my lower back. Now, I do notice that on cool, damp days I seem to feel some achiness in my lower back, but moreso in the area of my hip graft. I tend to feel similar on warm, humid days.

Comment

Wet and cold weather aches and pains

I am definitely sensitive to wet and cold weather. I was feeling good for
            awhile then all this rainy stuff started happening in NY. So I got headaches and pain pretty much everywhere. I know some sweet day I will have to move to a warmer climate....I'm 40 now but on days like these I feel more like 80
            1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
            1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
            titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
            2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
            2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Janski-----oh man, I can agree with you.....I'm in NJ & it poured yesterday! It seemed the more it rained the more my ribs swelled....I see this is going to be a week I will need to write off as a real bummer of a week. I looked at the forcasts for the rest of the week & was ready to cry becasue it seems like it showed rainy weather thru Labor day what with the Florida hurricane heading our way........
              I finally got some sleep last night because the previous nights, I was walking the halls!!!!! Help!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                I have felt like every day I was feeling better up to today. Today it is rainey & cool & I feel yucky--which is a change from the beautiful weather we have had all last week in the NYC metro area.....do you all feel weather changes have a big effect on your back/ pain meds? Kind of like arthritis?? thks-lynne
                post-op : almost 4 weeks......
                All the time! I know you read my blog posts where I complain about this every single time it rains here in Florida which right now, it's hurricane season and we have daily afternoon thunderstorms.
                It aches. My rods feel cold when it rains. I feel like I can't get warm.
                It is very much like arthritis. It's that kind of aching feeling.
                I hope it eventually goes away or trips back home to Maine in winter will be out of the question forever. Drastic changes in temps kill me and put me in bed with the heating pad and long hot showers to try and warm up.
                36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                Curve post op = 20 degrees
                No pain anymore!!
                Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Kat---I know what you mean! Luckily for you, Ernesto is out of your area & on the way to mine.....I am praying it goes out to sea by the time it hits the NYC area this wkend .............Ly

Comment

Lynne -

Let me ask you since Jersey isn't that far from Maryland. Has everyone in your area been rushing to the market in a mad scramble to stock up on all the bread and water they can get? People here are crazy. They don't seem to understand that we will get some wind and mostly rain. That's it! They act like the world is coming to an end.
                    Brandi
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

Raining again today in the Ohio valley and I am MISERABLE- it has rained here for two weeks!!!!!!!!! I really hope the end to this rain is coming soon! I was feeling soooo good before all this rain started! Hope to get back to that again real soon!!
                      Angela
                      29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Angela---I know what you mean! I am dreading this wkend if it's gonna rain for days!!! My surgeon's nurse said that when the temperature & weather change (ie, Rain), the pain meds don't always kick in like they should. Especially early on, post-op. Is'nt that great??!!! Hang in there....I think we all have more aches & pains with rainy/cool weather to begin with!

Brandi: I would'nt know about people running to the grocery stores..I have'nt been out of the house for days & days.....the most I see of the world is my front & backyard...The front of my house is a big hill. I have a ski slope driveway which no one has let me go down yet(it's really steep).. Hubby has drove me down it a few times so far as to let me out at the bottom of our hill so I can get out & walk on the street...very silly but he is just being careful with me! I have been mostly content to stay in my room a lot to read/watch T.V. & roam the house at times........not much else I can do yet! I am now 4 1/2 weeks out & have to say besides 2 ugly days/nights early on this week, I feel absolutely great! I take one day at a time, knowing with bad weather on the way, I could be in a bad state again....there will begood days & bad days, I guess....

Comment

O.K. I've decided Ernesto is paying me back for my earlier comment trivializing his impact on my area. We got a ton of rain and it's a cool 65 degrees. I am sore, sore, sore. I am also extra stiff and am waiting for my muscle relaxer to kick in.
                          Brandi
                          L1-S1
                          Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

rain,rain GO AWAY

There's gotta be an island for all of us somewhere. I've been mostly in bed the last 2 days with my headaches,neck and shoulder pain. It's raining cats and dogs,maybe COWS soon? I just want to see the sun, and lay out in it again.....
                            1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
                            1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
                            titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
                            2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
                            2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

Janiski66-----ditto to that.....Tomorrow's a new day....the rains must end.......thk god for pain meds.....Ly

Comment

Working...
                              X