Loss of range of motion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of range of motion?

I am 26 years old, and having surgery for the first time on April 20th. It's a fusion of T10 - L3. for a 65 degree curve. I am terrified that I am not going to be able to move the same after surgery. If anyone out there has had a similar fusion, I'd be very interested to know if there was any loss in your range of motion.....can you turn from side to side, bend forward, etc. My doctor's answers to this question just seem a little vague. Of course, maybe there's just know real way to know for sure. Thanks in advance.

Jessica

Hi Jessica...

Since your fusion will be relatively short, I think you'll find that, after recovering from surgery, you'll move about the same as you did before surgery. If you're a ballerina, however, you'll probably notice a difference.

My fusion was 6 more vertebrae (T4-L3), and I was 18 years older than you at the time of surgery. I have lost some flexibility, but it's not a huge amount. I can bend and turn, although not as much as I did before surgery. I've known people with short fusions who could still touch their toes after recovering.

Perhaps your doctor can put you in touch with a patient who had a similar fusion. Seeing someone in person might help with your fear.

Best of luck with your surgery. Hope it's your one and only. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jessica,
      I just had my surgery on Feb. 17th for a posterior fusion T8-L2. I am obviously still recovering, so I'm sure I will be able to get some flexibility back. For now, I am still not allowed to twist, or bend. I am definitely sitting up straight from the fusion, but once I'm healed and use to moving differently, I'm sure I will notice more flexibility.

I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to email me at apiechota3@bresnan.net. I know this is a very scary time for you.

Angel

Comment

how to rest?

Hi I'm 26 too, I don't remember the stats on my surgery but i get mines done on april 26th. I am trying to remain calm. I am concerned about motion also. I really don't move that much as it is so i definately don't want to be limited. I've never been in the hospital for any thing more serious than an upset stomach. Thank the Lord i only had to have one surgery. The doctor said that i was flexible enough to get correction in one. I wanted to take on online college class while being couped up in the house but do you all think its a waste of time because i won't feel like studying? Could you imagine taking a course during this time of recovery or does it sound like i might be in over my head?

Comment

After this surgery, say a year after, am I going to be able to jog, play golf, rollerblade, etc. like I do now? Has anyone had the expereince of going back to exactly the way they were before surgery?

Comment

Hi Jessica...

We're all different, but many people (especially those with shorter fusions) do the same activities after recovery as they did before surgery.

I think it's important for you to know that the discs above and below your fusion will be at risk for faster degeneration than normal. That means, activities like golfing and running may cause degeneration that requires you to seek additional treatment such as having your fusion extended.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X